Thread: Exhaust Swap Feasibility (Coupe & Sedan)

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 Sedan

Exhaust Swap Feasibility (Coupe & Sedan)

So I currently have a (to me) obnoxiously loud magnaflow cat-back exhaust on my '97 M3 sedan that the previous owner had installed. I have a friend who has a '96 coupe with stock exhaust who is looking to upgrade. He drove my car and said he would be interested in the exhaust if I ever decide to get rid of it. My question is, is it feasible to just swap exhaust systems from a sedan to a coupe and vice versa? Assuming both exhaust systems are not welded on after the cats and are just bolted on, I'm thinking it should be a simple plug and play; however I didn't know if dimensionally everything would line up under there between the sedan and the coupe.

My Cars
    e90 M3,X5,e46 racer
    The are exactly the same.
    Check out the 8legs Racing page: https://www.facebook.com/8legsRacing/

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    For future reference, realoem lists all models that parts fit.

My Cars
    99 M3

Exhaust Swap Feasibility (Coupe & Sedan)

Quote Originally Posted by Braymond141 View Post
    For future reference, realoem lists all models that parts fit.
    Yes, I too believe they are the same…but www.realoem.com is one stop shopping for part number application, especially if you have the VINs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    E36
    no difference btw sedan and coupe. Many vendor websites will also show no difference.

My Cars
    1995 M3 - 2007 X5
    Quote Originally Posted by Cos270 View Post
    So I currently have a (to me) obnoxiously loud magnaflow cat-back exhaust on my '97 M3 sedan that the previous owner had installed. I have a friend who has a '96 coupe with stock exhaust who is looking to upgrade. He drove my car and said he would be interested in the exhaust if I ever decide to get rid of it. My question is, is it feasible to just swap exhaust systems from a sedan to a coupe and vice versa? Assuming both exhaust systems are not welded on after the cats and are just bolted on, I'm thinking it should be a simple plug and play; however I didn't know if dimensionally everything would line up under there between the sedan and the coupe.
    Yes it should all bolt up, the part numbers are the same. I did the same thing many years ago, a friend liked the sound of my Magnaflow setup on my coupe and I didn't want it anymore. Swapped to his sedan and I took his AA exhaust.

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 Sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckDizzle View Post
    Yes it should all bolt up, the part numbers are the same. I did the same thing many years ago, a friend liked the sound of my Magnaflow setup on my coupe and I didn't want it anymore. Swapped to his sedan and I took his AA exhaust.
    Fantastic, just what I wanted to hear! Thanks to all who answered.