I got my 14 535i bmw one month ago. when I try to check the oil level it says : oil level measurement inactive. I scanned it with inpa and there is an error that
oil temp sensor circuit is interrupted. I took out the charge pipe, the air filter housing and the throttle body and I was able to to see the sensor. its behind the throttle body screwed in the engine block. the wires were snapped from the sensor and on one of them about 2 inch piece was missing. seems like some disgruntled mechanic just yanked them out.
so I bought some wires and new sensor connector and restored the connection. But I still get the error. Soon I will replace the whole sensor.
strange thing is that the oil temp gauge(lower right corner of my instrument cluster) is still showing a correct temperature. it was showing correct temp before I restored the wiring. so my question how was it showing seemingly right temp when wires were disconnected? I mean its at lowest when its cold and then it slowly rises to 250 degrees so it must be getting this info somewhere. so where is it getting the temp info from?
also if I clear the error with inpa I am suddenly able to check the oil level. but then the computer detects something is wrong with the temp sensor and sets the error again.
and then my oil checking becomes inactive again.
is it using water temp sensor as a backup sensor if the oil temp sensor is not working? I know that water temp on those cars does not go to as high as 250. so what is it showing me?
is it possible that this car has some mods and its getting oil temp from some after market sensor?
thanks for reading my long post.