RM European Auto Parts

Thread: N52 oil leaks related to excess crankcase pressure? Clogged CCV system?

My Cars
    BMW E61 M-Sport Wagon

N52 oil leaks related to excess crankcase pressure? Clogged CCV system?

G'day all greetings from Australia,

I recently acquired an E61 330i 2005 model with the N52 3L inline 6 (metal valve cover). It has 200K kms (approx 125K miles) on the clock.

Bit of history, I have been battling some oil leaks.

- Oil filter housing gaskets have been fixed
    - Oil pressure switch was leaking and was replaced
    - Broken external cylinder head bolt was replaced

All of those are fixed, so then after cleaning up have found oil pan gasket and/or rear main seal leaking.

I have replaced the oil pan gasket which looks to have resolved 90% of the remaining leak, however I am still getting oil out of that area which could be rear main seal or potentially still oil pan gasket.
    Valve cover gasket seems to be holding ok at this stage.

I have been thinking about what might actually be causing the remaining leaks, and it has occurred to me the crankcase ventilation system may be clogged in turn causing excess PRESSURE in the crankcase which is pushing oil past the oil pan gasket and/or rear main seal.

Has anyone had any experience with this happening? What would be the best way to test this?

I know the common fault is the CCV diaphragm in the valve cover failing causing excess VACUUM rather than pressure, however is it also common for the system to get clogged up with sludge and result in oil leaks?

It seems like a lot of people battle these leaks as the cars age but the cause could be unrelated to the actual gasket / seal failure. Maybe BMW in their infinite wisdom recommending people change their oil far less often would result in a lot of build up within the engine and start leaning on these kinds of systems.

Thanks for your time.
    Last edited by OzE61; 02-02-2019 at 11:18 PM.

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Welcome to the Forum!

Sadly almost every one of those gaskets do fail, and it's not from excessive crank case pressure.

Now you are on the right track as the CCV system is suppose to pull a vacuum, not push pressure, which it will if blocked. The best way to test is to use a Slacktube Mamometer, if you don't have one, click me!

The other way for a quick test is to see if you can open the oil filler cap, if it blows off in your hand, well there you have it.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    BMW E61 M-Sport Wagon
    Thank you dworthy.

Transmission is off and appears to be transmission input seal rather than rear main. Transmission is full of sludge as well, absolute madness these "lifetime" oil directions from BMW.

Will replace everything serviceable anyhow while we are in there.

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    That is one of many Automakers B.S. script to sell to clients is the "Lifetime" fluid crap. If you talk to any Mechanic or Tech, they too will tell you the same thing. When I pushed at service counter at BMW dealerships, they will walk back the "Lifetime" statement and say to replace it at 100k. Of course it is all a thing, as most company's really don't provide any kind of warranty after 100k, so once it gets out of warranty, they really don't care.

So long story short, see about getting the valve body rebuilt as a "while it's open". There are kits to replace know problems, and sleeves if this is an automatic.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Lifetime fluids was a marketing ploy and not a maintenance philosophy.

Mechanic to car owner: “See, that transmission fluid is lifetime fluid!! It lasted 123k miles, the same as your transmission.”

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Oz, be careful when removing the transmission front seal, Hook it carefully outwards, with a proper seal hook, rather than any attempt at putting a screw through it, or other invasive techniques. Also, be absolutely sure that you use the correct fluid for the transmission involved. Some are ZF , some are GM, and they do not like the other one's fluid.

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    BMW E61 M-Sport Wagon
    Good info thanks all.

Well I am happy to say after a pretty nightmarish 3 weeks of never ending oil leaks, after putting some good km's on it over the weekend it is no longer leaking any fluid of any kind.

Changed the rear main, a transmission service (new pan/filter and fluid) and input seal, another full flush of the engine oil and a few other things. The transmission is shifting much better, far smoother. A very nice car to drive up through some twisty mountain roads. I still have the comfort stop push when coming to a stop but it is reduced (doesn't happen at all in DS mode). I also noticed fuel consumption has dropped significantly, I could never get below 14L / 100km but now able to get under 12L / 100km.

Now on to fixing the panoramic sunroof (rear shade clip/tab is broken) and associated water leaks due to being unable to easily clear the drains.

Also realised my bluetooth module is completely missing which explains the "head unit not programmed correctly" message on the MFD and reduced functionality.

I have to say, this being my first BMW purchased as a secondary family get about, the drive is quite addictive. Thinking an E92 M3 is certainly on the cards in the not too distant future.

My Cars
    07 328Xi

Oil seeping from fuel rail bolt?

I've got an 07 328Xi with 90K miles. Just replaced the VCG, cleaned everything up and now have an oil leak running down the drivers side between #2 and #4 cylinder below the intake manifold. I've cleaned everything up several times and the second bolt holding the fuel rail in place is wet (immediately above the area on the head/block that is now pooling oil). Attached pictures indicate where the wet spot is. It's on the high side of the valve cover and after 1+ hours of watching it run, I cannot find any leak from the VCG or any obvious signs of a leak aside from the pools above the head gasket and in all the nooks.
    Last edited by Purple.helos; 03-20-2019 at 01:00 PM. Reason: add photo

My Cars
    BMW E61 M-Sport Wagon
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple.helos View Post
    I've got an 07 328Xi with 90K miles. Just replaced the VCG, cleaned everything up and now have an oil leak running down the drivers side between #2 and #4 cylinder below the intake manifold. I've cleaned everything up several times and the second bolt holding the fuel rail in place is wet (immediately above the area on the head/block that is now pooling oil). Attached pictures indicate where the wet spot is. It's on the high side of the valve cover and after 1+ hours of watching
    Hey sorry didn't see this post until now - I can't see your photos though but having experienced pretty much every single N52 / 6HP leak possible I might be able to tell you. Interested if you can post photos again.

On a side note, I have also found my transmission wiring plug bulkhead sleeve also leaks under certain conditions. Namely parked on an incline (i.e. my steep driveway) while cooling after after driving, in certain weather conditions it seems. You can't make this stuff up!
    Last edited by OzE61; 04-22-2019 at 01:23 AM.

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Sounds like time to back the car into the driveway.

Don't feel bad, as I think Purple.helos is not coming back.
    Darin
    Current:
    Past:
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    BMW E61 M-Sport Wagon
    Quote Originally Posted by dworthy View Post
    Sounds like time to back the car into the driveway.

Don't feel bad, as I think Purple.helos is not coming back.
    Indeed, that is my current solution.