Thread: Well dang - I snapped a mirror stem. Need repair guidance

My Cars
    1998 BMW Z3 Roadster

Well dang - I snapped a mirror stem. Need repair guidance

So I'm moving stuff around in the carport and backed my butt into the right side mirror at just the angle to snap the stem. Photo appears below.

I'm not by any means a "wrench," but I think I can handle a remove and replace scenario.

What are my options for locating a part, and doing the repair?

Thanks in advance,

Rick

1998 Z3, 2.8L 5-speed
    ------------
    "The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." (Marcus Aurelius)

My Cars
    99 z3 2.8L
    I had a hit & run that did that. I bought a used mirror assembly off ebay that was the same paint and replaced it. You'll need to remove the door card to disconnect the wiring harness and two bolts hold the assembly to the exterior part of the door. I'll try and find a diy on YouTube, but I followed one of those.

My Cars
    1998 BMW Z3 Roadster
    Good deal. Thanks. You've confirmed the general flow my thinking. I just wasn't sure where to start.

My wife is the primary "owner" and driver on this thing, btw. I'm just the oil and tire checker. So I want to have the plan in place before I break the news to her!
    1998 Z3, 2.8L 5-speed
    ------------
    "The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." (Marcus Aurelius)

My Cars
    99 z3 2.8L
    This YouTube video just shows how the mirror assembly rotates to remove the exterior bolts. The wiring does not come out that easy.

https://youtu.be/qxRo8MYiAhg

Removing the door card isn't too bad. Just pop out a few trim pieces on the card, unscrew the bolt, pop out the bottom, and lift up on the card. Obviously not pulling too hard in any one place to avoid tears/breaks in the card.

https://youtu.be/CCv-vWho_mU

My Cars
    1998 BMW Z3 Roadster
    Roger that. And thanks again.

In the 15 minutes since my previous post I located and ordered the part. It will be here in roughly 10 days. I'll check out the YouTube reservoir of video knowledge and have my tools ready to go.
    1998 Z3, 2.8L 5-speed
    ------------

My Cars
    1998 Z3M, 2006 330i
    When you're removing the door card, be careful of the wiring especially to the speakers. Pull the card from the door only as much as you need to unplug the wires, unplug, then pull the card off and proceed.

My Cars
    1998 BMW Z3 Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by zellamay View Post
    When you're removing the door card, be careful of the wiring especially to the speakers. Pull the card from the door only as much as you need to unplug the wires, unplug, then pull the card off and proceed.
    10-4. Will do. Thanks.
    1998 Z3, 2.8L 5-speed
    ------------