Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jojo's E39 Touring Log (Alpine, Euro, M Sport, Individual)

My Cars
    2002 M5, 2000 528iT

Jojo's E39 Touring Log (Alpine, Euro, M Sport, Individual)

Hey everyone,

My name is Stephen and I have a 2000 528iT (alpine/beige) that I picked up a few months ago. I'm newer to bf.c (more involved on m5board) and the plans are to make this touring into a "tribute" of sorts by piecing together different components that I like from BMW. With my M5, I feel a certain pressure to keep it stock-ish or Dinan'ed to retain the E39M5-ness. But with this car, I feel a complete freedom to do whatever I want.

Here's the background:

- My 2000 528iT sports pkg car that had 204k when I picked it up. It's very clean and it came with good maintenance records (original window sticker/records dating back to the orig owner). It now has 207k, it's very reliable, and I think it's a better highway cruiser than my E39M is (largely because of the rack & pinion). The M52TU is a sweet motor and it put down 166whp/194wtq on the dyno with 205k miles. (Yes I dynoed it. My local shop runs year round dyno events for cheap.)

- I added an M5 rear sway bar and it helped with the body roll quite a bit. The car went into electronic overload when I first got it. It turned out to be an ignition switch failure. I also replaced the alternator and front brakes. Other than that, it's been smooth sailing.

- This generation's rack and pinion setup is one of the best I've driven. The steering is a tad heavy, but very communicative with good on-center/off-center feel. Why couldn't BMW figure out a way to put this set up in the M5...

- I remembered seeing this thread on m5board where a guy in Europe picked up an 03 530iT M Sport model in BMW individual carbon black/cinnamon interior. As many of you know, the cinnamon interior was never offered in the E39 chassis in the States and, when I purchased my white touring, I knew I wanted the cinnamon. I didn't know how I would do it (maybe have @redshift dye my beige interior bits!). Lo and behold, @adm750 posted his (very unique) 2003 euro 525iT M Sport in the same exact color combination. I bought the car from Tony and the car will now serve as a major donor car to my build.

- A little bit about the euro car- it has a few unique touches (rear fogs, power folding mirrors, first aid kit under the passenger side, black headliner, built in brake ducts to name a few), it has the black trunk bits (including cargo cover), and the LCI bits + M sport bumpers that I need so I'm set with most of the cosmetics. It has a number of "VIN substitute" stampings that I want to try to bring over to my white touring. It also has a unique wood trim- I think it's anthracite birch but I could be wrong. Either way, I love the way the cinnamon sits over the black interior pieces. The car has a ton of rust at the moment and the car needs a lot of refreshing so I'm pretty set on swapping everything into my white touring and building from there.

- Curiously, the euro car didn't come with the clear tail lights nor did it come with the gloss black window trim. Maybe the lights were changed when it was federalized? And maybe gloss black trim was a North American thing? "

This build will be slow and I'll try to update as much as possible. Between family and work, it's hard enough to even keep these cars clean. I don't know how some of you guys do it!

Here are the things that I plan to work on in the near future:

- Do an interior transplant from the euro touring to the white touring (carpet, seats, door cards, headliners, dash, trunk bits, etc). This will probably be the first thing I do.

- LCI refresh- transfer headlights and CELIS taillights over. I'll have to figure out a way to code the LCM (I'll bring the euro's LCM4 over to the white touring).

- The sound system SUCKS. The speakers in the euro car sound better so I might start by swapping those over. Adding a sub, amps, and crossover should be a vast improvement. Then I'll look into upgrading the front speakers (the ceiling speakers don't seem worth it to invest in).

- M Sport stuff - I'll eventually swap over the bumpers and paint them alpine to give it the M look. I also want to gloss out the shadow line trim like the M5 has it. The matte finish from the sport pkg is decent (way better than the chrome) but I think the gloss black really pops.

- Total suspension makeover (front end, rear end, shocks/struts- everything except the rear SLS since it was recently serviced). I'm still thinking about what kind of set up to go for. I want to keep the SLS so I might do koni's all around with front lowering springs. Maybe Koni's in the rear and GC in the front. I'd probably do Eibach front/rear sway. We'll see.

- Wheels - I'm on a pretty fresh set of tires on OE Style 5's so I'll run these out. Not a huge priority but I'll most likely go on a set of squared Apex ARC's. Maybe 275's like the M5.

- Brakes - If the funds allow, I'd like to upgrade to a mild BBK up front and 540 calipers in the rear. Or maybe I just go 540 all around? Not sure yet.

- Drivetrain swap - I've seen too many posts on forums where a guy talks about what he wants to do and the thread just goes dead. I'll leave this open for now but I am planning an engine/manual swap. Looking to keep it in the BMW family. Also, no S62 swap- I want the rack and pinion in this one.

I'll hopefully start on the interior next weekend.
    Last edited by jojonyc; 02-01-2019 at 03:42 PM.

My Cars
    2002 M5, 2000 528iT
    Here are some pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    2002 M5, 2000 528iT
    Some more pics.

My Cars
    BMW
    This is the content the touring sub forum needed!

Good luck with your build. Nice to have 90% of what you need already there on the parts touring.

My Cars
    1995 525i/5
    Can't wait to see where this goes! I'm glad an enthusiast picked up that touring, it was way too cool to just go to a junkyard.

If you want a little more zest but want to keep the rack & pinion steering, I'd recommend swapping in an M54B30. You already have the M52tu so the wiring should be almost plug and play. That'll give you a decent bit of extra power while being very easy to swap. Couple that with a 5-speed/6-speed manual and you'll really have a blast!
    1995 525i 5-speed - Thread

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Hey Stephen! Glad you finally made a build thread for your cars. Also, don't you need to update your location now? I am pretty sure you're not in NYC anymore, right?

That Cinnamon looks fantastic. Makes me want to do something like that in my blue wagon that already has a black interior to break it up a bit.

It's kind of hard to tell in your pics, but it does look like Birch Anthrazite. Pretty rare trim. Looks like the passenger side dash piece is regular nussbaum though. What's up with that?

I kind of doubt the 03 has a LCM IV. Most, even Brian's 03 M-Sport, had the LCM III-B or A (for earlier models). Doesn't mean you can't get a LCM IV for it, but I wouldn't worry about taking the one from the euro car if that's what you're wanting to have.

Just because it's euro spec, doesn't necessarily mean all euro spec cars got the clear turn signals, but I wonder if your car is actually a Canadian spec. Have you decoded your VIN yet to see the destination country?

Drivetrain swap... Come on man, aren't you going to let them in on your little secret? I know what you've been considering .

So, now after seeing both cars in full size pics (unlike the small ones you sent me before when you bought them), I would definitely say do everything to the white car. Alpine looks so good and even better with a cinnamon interior. If the carbon car was perfect, I would say keep it stock, but that rust looks really bad.

Excited to see how this turns out.

PS, you should drive my blue wagon sometime with Brian's old APEX wheels in 19x9.5 square with 275s and see if you really want to do that on a R&P car. My car used to drive great down the highway, but now it tramlines like crazy. I haven't had another alignment done yet since putting them on to see if maybe it affected the contact patch a bit, but it can be a bit scary with that wide of tire on the front. My old 245s never had that issue. It could also be that we put his old rears on the front as they were more worn and they could just need new tires. I may rotate them just to test.

-Paul
    2003 "M5" - Full M5 conversion, AMG C63S 6 piston front calipers, Porsche Panamera 4 piston rear calipers, GC Coilovers,
    Eibach ARBs, UUC Evo3/DSSR, Borla Exhaust w/Muffler Delete, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto, Bi-Xenons, e38 Style 37 M-Pars, e60 Hubs 530i 6-speed swap build thread
    2005 Range Rover 4.6is (M62TU Powered) - 4.6is Engine Swap from X5, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto
    2006 Porsche Cayman S - Soul Performance Competition Headers and Exhaust, H&R Coilovers, 718 Boxster Spyder wheels, Rennline 35mm rear spacers

My Cars
    1995 525i/5
    The last 7 of the VIN is GU96619, it's a real Euro-spec car. The build sheet on that car is nuts, it's a proper Euro-spec individual with a super late build date (11/2003).
    1995 525i 5-speed - Thread

My Cars
    2002 M5, 2000 528iT
    Quote Originally Posted by WBAD530i View Post
    This is the content the touring sub forum needed!

Good luck with your build. Nice to have 90% of what you need already there on the parts touring.
    Thanks guys. Looking forward to it! Appreciate the touring love

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dannyzabolotny View Post
    Can't wait to see where this goes! I'm glad an enthusiast picked up that touring, it was way too cool to just go to a junkyard.

If you want a little more zest but want to keep the rack & pinion steering, I'd recommend swapping in an M54B30. You already have the M52tu so the wiring should be almost plug and play. That'll give you a decent bit of extra power while being very easy to swap. Couple that with a 5-speed/6-speed manual and you'll really have a blast!
    I've definitely considered an M54b30/6spd like a ZHP. That would be nice. I think a large part of my drivetrain plans will be determined by how long I keep my M5 for. If I end up selling it in the near future, I'd want something that would feel like a "replacement" for the M5, performance wise. If I keep the M5 for the long run, I'd just want a solid daily set up like the M54b30. We will see..

My Cars
    2002 M5, 2000 528iT
    Lol @blackknight530i I just changed the location to Raleigh. Wow, I guess I made this account way before I was even a BMW owner. What a faker..

Hm.. good call on the LCM. I thought all 03's got the IV but I haven't personally checked. Either way, I know my white touring's LCM can't support the correct coding for the CELIS and I'll probably need to take it out of the euro car.

The trim is consistent all throughout the car. Might've been my flash or something that's bringing the "brown" out of the trim. The trim pieces can definitely use a nice polishing! (I never thought I'd be one to polish interior trim pieces. Oh well.)

Drivetrain swap... hmmm... let's just say my dream is to put a custom plate reading "SFITTYFO." God I hope I can finish this build the way I envision it.

And yes, I'd love to drive your car. Thanks for the offer. Good call on the tramlining. My M5 has 275's all around and it tramlines just a tiny bit. Is there a difference between your 530it and M5 in terms of tramlining? I always forget how wide 275's actually are until I take them off the M5. They're crazy wide and give a ton of front end grip. I am concerned that my fairly heavy steering will become even heavier with 275's. Maybe I'll try a staggered combo of 245/275. I do like the way Apex Arc's look where the fronts have the flat face and the rears have the concave face.

Funny story- I attended the Michelin skid pad event a few weekends ago and I met Randy Pobst there so I asked if he wanted to drive my M5. So we go out for a lap and Randy's starts thinking out loud. "Oh, understeer." "Oh, this thing has a ton of grip." "Oh, wait, got it. (he catches the drift) Oh, sweet car." So yeah I think 275's are def a lot of tire for the front's.

- - - Updated - - -

Here are the results from the VIN decoder:

VIN: WBADS41040GU96619
    Type code: DS41
    Model: 525I TOURING (EUR)
    E-F-R series: E39 2
    Series: 5
    Type: TOUR
    Steering: LL
    Doors: 5
    Engine: M54
    Displacement: 2.50
    Power: 141 (192 hp)
    Drive: HECK
    Transmission: AUT
    Paint code: 490 - SONDERLACKIERUNG
    Upholstery code: Z1XX - SONDERPOLSTERUNG
    Prod.date: 2003-11-25
    S1CA SELECTION COP RELEVANT VEHICLES
    S8SF Special edition "Sport"
    S8SP Control unit CO2
    S167 EU4 exhaust emissions standard
    S202 Steptronic
    S210 Dynamic stability control III
    S216 HYDRO STEERING-SERVOTRONIC
    S220 Self-levelling suspension
    S227 Sport susp.+low-slung+ride-height ctrl.
    S249 Multifunction f steering wheel
    S302 Alarm system
    P337 M Sports package
    S339 Shadow-Line
    S354 Green windscreen, green shade band
    S386 Roof railing
    S403 Glass roof, electrical
    S423 Floor mats, velours
    S428 Warning triangle and first aid kit
    S430 Interior/outside mirror with auto dip
    S431 Interior rear-view mirror with auto dip
    S434 Interior trim finishers
    S441 Smoker package
    S459 El. front seat adjustment w. memory
    S464 Ski bag
    S470 Isofix-System
    S473 Armrest front
    S481 Sports seat
    S494 Seat heating driver/passenger
    S500 Headl.washer system/intensive cleaning
    S508 Park Distance Control (PDC)
    S520 Fog lights
    S521 Rain sensor
    S522 Xenon Light
    S534 Automatic air conditioning
    S548 Kilometre speedo
    S555 On-board computer V with remote control
    S609 Navigation system, Professional
    S644 Preparation f mobile phone w Bluetooth
    S672 CD changer for 6 CDs
    S676 HiFi speaker system
    S694 Provisions for BMW 6 CD changer
    S710 M leather steering wheel
    S715 M Aerodynamics package
    S775 Headlining anthracite
    S778 Entrance strips "BMW Individual"
    S785 White direction indicator lights
    S788 BMW LA wheel, Individual
    L801 NATIONAL VERSION GERMANY
    S851 Language version German
    S863 Dealer List Europe
    S879 Operating instructions German
    S940 special equipment BMW Individual
    S970 Business Package

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Quote Originally Posted by jojonyc View Post
    Lol @blackknight530i I just changed the location to Raleigh. Wow, I guess I made this account way before I was even a BMW owner. What a faker..

Hm.. good call on the LCM. I thought all 03's got the IV but I haven't personally checked. Either way, I know my white touring's LCM can't support the correct coding for the CELIS and I'll probably need to take it out of the euro car.

The trim is consistent all throughout the car. Might've been my flash or something that's bringing the "brown" out of the trim. The trim pieces can definitely use a nice polishing! (I never thought I'd be one to polish interior trim pieces. Oh well.)

Drivetrain swap... hmmm... let's just say my dream is to put a custom plate reading "SFITTYFO." God I hope I can finish this build the way I envision it.

And yes, I'd love to drive your car. Thanks for the offer. Good call on the tramlining. My M5 has 275's all around and it tramlines just a tiny bit. Is there a difference between your 530it and M5 in terms of tramlining? I always forget how wide 275's actually are until I take them off the M5. They're crazy wide and give a ton of front end grip. I am concerned that my fairly heavy steering will become even heavier with 275's. Maybe I'll try a staggered combo of 245/275. I do like the way Apex Arc's look where the fronts have the flat face and the rears have the concave face.

Funny story- I attended the Michelin skid pad event a few weekends ago and I met Randy Pobst there so I asked if he wanted to drive my M5. So we go out for a lap and Randy's starts thinking out loud. "Oh, understeer." "Oh, this thing has a ton of grip." "Oh, wait, got it. (he catches the drift) Oh, sweet car." So yeah I think 275's are def a lot of tire for the front's.

- - - Updated - - -

Here are the results from the VIN decoder:

VIN: WBADS41040GU96619
    Type code: DS41
    Model: 525I TOURING (EUR)
    E-F-R series: E39 2
    Series: 5
    Type: TOUR
    Steering: LL
    Doors: 5
    Engine: M54
    Displacement: 2.50
    Power: 141 (192 hp)
    Drive: HECK
    Transmission: AUT
    Paint code: 490 - SONDERLACKIERUNG
    Upholstery code: Z1XX - SONDERPOLSTERUNG
    Prod.date: 2003-11-25
    S1CA SELECTION COP RELEVANT VEHICLES
    S8SF Special edition "Sport"
    S8SP Control unit CO2
    S167 EU4 exhaust emissions standard
    S202 Steptronic
    S210 Dynamic stability control III
    S216 HYDRO STEERING-SERVOTRONIC
    S220 Self-levelling suspension
    S227 Sport susp.+low-slung+ride-height ctrl.
    S249 Multifunction f steering wheel
    S302 Alarm system
    P337 M Sports package
    S339 Shadow-Line
    S354 Green windscreen, green shade band
    S386 Roof railing
    S403 Glass roof, electrical
    S423 Floor mats, velours
    S428 Warning triangle and first aid kit
    S430 Interior/outside mirror with auto dip
    S431 Interior rear-view mirror with auto dip
    S434 Interior trim finishers
    S441 Smoker package
    S459 El. front seat adjustment w. memory
    S464 Ski bag
    S470 Isofix-System
    S473 Armrest front
    S481 Sports seat
    S494 Seat heating driver/passenger
    S500 Headl.washer system/intensive cleaning
    S508 Park Distance Control (PDC)
    S520 Fog lights
    S521 Rain sensor
    S522 Xenon Light
    S534 Automatic air conditioning
    S548 Kilometre speedo
    S555 On-board computer V with remote control
    S609 Navigation system, Professional
    S644 Preparation f mobile phone w Bluetooth
    S672 CD changer for 6 CDs
    S676 HiFi speaker system
    S694 Provisions for BMW 6 CD changer
    S710 M leather steering wheel
    S715 M Aerodynamics package
    S775 Headlining anthracite
    S778 Entrance strips "BMW Individual"
    S785 White direction indicator lights
    S788 BMW LA wheel, Individual
    L801 NATIONAL VERSION GERMANY
    S851 Language version German
    S863 Dealer List Europe
    S879 Operating instructions German
    S940 special equipment BMW Individual
    S970 Business Package
    Man, I would have loved for Randy to drive one of my cars. I wanted to do that skidpad event at the Proving Grounds with the CCA, but oh well. Maybe next time.

Looks like the car is actually a German car. Interesting that it didn't have the white lights, but I'm guessing you're right that they had to "nationalize" it when they imported it and might have just found some used US headlights/tail lights.

-Paul
    2003 "M5" - Full M5 conversion, AMG C63S 6 piston front calipers, Porsche Panamera 4 piston rear calipers, GC Coilovers,
    Eibach ARBs, UUC Evo3/DSSR, Borla Exhaust w/Muffler Delete, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto, Bi-Xenons, e38 Style 37 M-Pars, e60 Hubs 530i 6-speed swap build thread
    2005 Range Rover 4.6is (M62TU Powered) - 4.6is Engine Swap from X5, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto
    2006 Porsche Cayman S - Soul Performance Competition Headers and Exhaust, H&R Coilovers, 718 Boxster Spyder wheels, Rennline 35mm rear spacers

My Cars
    2002 M5, 2000 528iT
    Quick update-

A few weeks ago, I had a buddy come visit and he's a BMW nut. He helped me start the process of stripping the interior. I haven't touched it since! (Hopefully I can find time to work on it next weekend)

The car needed (and still needs) a good amount of vacuuming done. I'll probably steam the carpet once I pull that out and detail the leather/vinyl interior parts before putting it into the white touring.

After pulling the front seat out, I had @redshift restore the seat and driver's door card. See the before/after pics. The thigh bolsters were pretty much on the brink of tearing. Brian somehow mended it. Also, the door card was hand-painted to preserve the black stitching. He's legit folks.

Oh also, there's a part of me that really likes the steering wheel contrast. There's another part of me that thinks it's tacky. What are your thoughts? Here's what it looked like new: https://www.ebay.com/p/BMW-E46-OEM-M...6202589&chn=ps

I'd also consider this (I like that center strip): https://www.ebay.ca/itm/BMW-M-TECHNI...-/223204605025

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by blackknight530i View Post
    Man, I would have loved for Randy to drive one of my cars. I wanted to do that skidpad event at the Proving Grounds with the CCA, but oh well. Maybe next time.

Looks like the car is actually a German car. Interesting that it didn't have the white lights, but I'm guessing you're right that they had to "nationalize" it when they imported it and might have just found some used US headlights/tail lights.
    The guy is a h00t. He spun out a few times but learned my car quickly and drifted around the whole 1/2 mile skidpad. He's a real down to earth, fun guy. Very humble. I will say though... after he drove my car, it started making funny noises lol. On the drive back to Raleigh, I kept telling my wife that THE Randy Pobst broke my car. But it turned out my rubber exhaust mounts (under the center of the car) were massively worn and the exhaust was resting on the center plate.

But yeah, that was a heck of an experience. I must've spun out 50x or so (some much more violent than others). But it was really good to experience my car at the limits in a controlled environment.

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Man! That cinnamon is gonna look great in the white wagon! Welcome to the forum Stephen. I’m a Stephen too, but everyone just calls me Steve. Maybe I get to meet you and that car someday when I drive down that way again and see the gang. Hopefully Tony can join us!
    Set the controls for the heart of the sun

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmrMeUpSnotty View Post
    Man! That cinnamon is gonna look great in the white wagon! Welcome to the forum Stephen. I’m a Stephen too, but everyone just calls me Steve. Maybe I get to meet you and that car someday when I drive down that way again and see the gang. Hopefully Tony can join us!
    I'm sure you'll meet him if you come down. It sounds like Jim and JC might be coming down sometime too. Jojo comes around to Brian's fairly often, so I'm sure you'll cross paths. I love how our group has grown .

-Paul

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Quote Originally Posted by blackknight530i View Post
    I'm sure you'll meet him if you come down. It sounds like Jim and JC might be coming down sometime too. Jojo comes around to Brian's fairly often, so I'm sure you'll cross paths. I love how our group has grown .
    Yeah man! I had a lot of fun that wrench day I came down and met you all! Too bad we’re all so far apart. I’m about to do the black upper dash conversion on my newer Snot Rockit, just remembered, Brian still has the black leather dash panel I brought that day, that had that water blemish over on the passenger airbag section of the dash pad. Hopefully he can repair it.
    We’ll all coordinate when Jim and JC come down, should make for a fine interesting car day! Get Tony in on the action too, yank him out of Ohio for the day, hopefully.

Hey Paul, stupid question, well, hopefully not so stupid. E46 M3 SMG cluster out of an ‘04, were those different from our cars? I may be able to fetch one up for $120. Should I snag it if the other pending buyer pulls out of buying it? I made a deal on the Mtech ll steering wheel with paddle shifters, clockspring thrown in, out of that car. Might be making a deal on the S54 and the SMG trans too, I will need help with the electronic side, I fetch the wheel next Saturday. Going into my slushbox 528 wagon, just thought it’d be a fun little project to do.

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Yeah man! I had a lot of fun that wrench day I came down and met you all! Too bad we’re all so far apart. I’m about to do the black upper dash conversion on my newer Snot Rockit, just remembered, Brian still has the black leather dash panel I brought that day, that had that water blemish over on the passenger airbag section of the dash pad. Hopefully he can repair it.
    We’ll all coordinate when Jim and JC come down, should make for a fine interesting car day! Get Tony in on the action too, yank him out of Ohio for the day, hopefully.

Hey Paul, stupid question, well, hopefully not so stupid. E46 M3 SMG cluster out of an ‘04, were those different from our cars? I may be able to fetch one up for $120. Should I snag it if the other pending buyer pulls out of buying it? I made a deal on the Mtech ll steering wheel with paddle shifters, clockspring thrown in, out of that car. Might be making a deal on the S54 and the SMG trans too, I will need help with the electronic side, I fetch the wheel next Saturday. Going into my slushbox 528 wagon, just thought it’d be a fun little project to do.
    E46 m3 clusters don't fit e39. Use a M5 cluster.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

-Paul

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Ahh! Ok, glad I asked! What sucks is, I will soon be moving into a bigger place, but for a lot more money, so my play money will get scaled down after February, maybe start selling a bunch of my other toys just gathering dust.... I really hate selling anything!

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Hi jojonyc, or should it be jojoraleigh!

As mentioned, it's great to see what is shaping up to be another excellent Touring project and along with everyone here, looking forward to seeing your progress

On this subforum, I think you'd find perhaps 98% of what you'd be looking for in terms of ideas and experience specific to the Touring. Alot of other elements are common across all the E39's so over on M5board and other forums, I think you'd get all the info you'd need.

Also, snap! Alpine E39 Touring's do look fantastic ! although, mine isn't Alpine White anymore

If there's ever anything over here in the UK you want and need, but the seller isn't willing to ship, give me a shout. I send parts like this very often to the USA and forum members here so you always have this avenue. That's the same to everyone else as well of course! I do keep an eye out for various specific Touring and E39 (and other models) bits and keep them in my goodies shed. Currently have some rear CELIS outer clear top lenses. I've been thinking to try and do the US red top outer CELIS lenses swap.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the individual two tone steering wheel, but, I know others love it and for a proper individual interior colour like you have, it can work. So it's down to your personal preference really ! For the Audio, then there's a few options and it depends on how well you like your music reproduced in the car in conjunction with practicality, ease of install, cost, functionality and long term reliability. I've gone with all aftermarket product in my Touring from high quality brands and their entry to intermediate level ranges. As with all your thoughts about what you wish to achieve with the car's build, have a think on this area and I'm happy to help and advise along with the rest of the forum members and their opinions as well.

Cheers, Dennis!

Cheers, Dennis!

My Cars
    2002 M5, 2000 528iT
    Hey Steve, nice to meet you too! Yeah I'd love to meet you one day. You're not all that far ;-)
    Current fleet:
    2002 M5 Alpine/Imola
    2000 528iT Alpine/Beige & 2003 525iT Carbon Black/Cinnamon (the two shall become one)
    2011 Honda Odyssey Touring Elite - That's right. This car is in my sig.

My Cars
    2002 M5, 2000 528iT
    Quote Originally Posted by DennisCooper View Post
    Hi jojonyc, or should it be jojoraleigh!

As mentioned, it's great to see what is shaping up to be another excellent Touring project and along with everyone here, looking forward to seeing your progress

On this subforum, I think you'd find perhaps 98% of what you'd be looking for in terms of ideas and experience specific to the Touring. Alot of other elements are common across all the E39's so over on M5board and other forums, I think you'd get all the info you'd need.

Also, snap! Alpine E39 Touring's do look fantastic ! although, mine isn't Alpine White anymore

If there's ever anything over here in the UK you want and need, but the seller isn't willing to ship, give me a shout. I send parts like this very often to the USA and forum members here so you always have this avenue. That's the same to everyone else as well of course! I do keep an eye out for various specific Touring and E39 (and other models) bits and keep them in my goodies shed. Currently have some rear CELIS outer clear top lenses. I've been thinking to try and do the US red top outer CELIS lenses swap.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the individual two tone steering wheel, but, I know others love it and for a proper individual interior colour like you have, it can work. So it's down to your personal preference really ! For the Audio, then there's a few options and it depends on how well you like your music reproduced in the car in conjunction with practicality, ease of install, cost, functionality and long term reliability. I've gone with all aftermarket product in my Touring from high quality brands and their entry to intermediate level ranges. As with all your thoughts about what you wish to achieve with the car's build, have a think on this area and I'm happy to help and advise along with the rest of the forum members and their opinions as well.

Cheers, Dennis!

Cheers, Dennis!
    Hey Dennis,

Thanks for the warm welcome! I've followed your posts leading up to this build so I appreciate your contributions to the touring community. Thanks for the offer for parts across the pond. I might take you up on those clear outer lenses.

Sound wise- although I appreciate a quality sound system (I used to do live sound mixing), I don't think I need to clear the bank for a "good-enough-for-me" system. For ex, I liked the Mark Levinson systems in the older Lexus' a lot (specifically in the SC430- a buddy had one in college). I like "smooth clarity" more than anything. I've never built a car audio system before but in general, I like to build in pieces to see the difference a single change makes and to keep things simple and cost-conscious. I'm thinking a good first step is to add a 8" or 10" sub in one of those eBay touring-specific cases. Then maybe add amps. Then speakers. Is this flow of logic correct?
    Current fleet:
    2002 M5 Alpine/Imola
    2000 528iT Alpine/Beige & 2003 525iT Carbon Black/Cinnamon (the two shall become one)

My Cars
    2002 M5, 2000 528iT
    Quote Originally Posted by DennisCooper View Post
    although, mine isn't Alpine White anymore
    Wait, what color is your car now?
    Current fleet:
    2002 M5 Alpine/Imola

My Cars
    2003 540it
    Yo, excited to see you'll do with this! I'm in Charlotte, NC so if we ever want to have a g2g with the touring folks, i'd be down!
    2019 X3 M40i Glacier Silver
    -stock

2003 540iT Titanium Silver
    -Dinan Exhaust

2003 325i 5-speed Japanrot
    -BMW Performance Intake
    -Dinan exhaust

My Cars
    2002 M5, 2000 528iT
    Quote Originally Posted by Olly84 View Post
    Yo, excited to see you'll do with this! I'm in Charlotte, NC so if we ever want to have a g2g with the touring folks, i'd be down!
    Thanks man! Is your touring an M Sport model?
    Current fleet:
    2002 M5 Alpine/Imola

My Cars
    2003 540it
    Quote Originally Posted by jojonyc View Post
    Thanks man! Is your touring an M Sport model?
    Nah it's not...but i'm gonna make try to make it look that way when I'm done with it haha.
    2019 X3 M40i Glacier Silver
    -stock

2003 540iT Titanium Silver
    -Dinan Exhaust

2003 325i 5-speed Japanrot
    -BMW Performance Intake
    -Dinan exhaust

My Cars
    2002 M5, 2000 528iT
    Quote Originally Posted by Olly84 View Post
    Nah it's not...but i'm gonna make try to make it look that way when I'm done with it haha.
    540's are prime for M5 swaps.... do ittt
    Current fleet:
    2002 M5 Alpine/Imola

My Cars
    97 528i
    wait....what ??

I woke up the other day with a killer headache, stitches in my side, and my car is missing....

dude-wheres-my-car.jpg
    "two wrongs don't make a right...only three lefts do...."
    '79 Euro 635csi - gone and regretting it...
    '89 gsxr-750 - former traffic knife
    '97 528i sedan - holding on strong...(just sold after 16 years of ownership - sad day)
    '03 Euro 525it - something about a famous dolphin.....

'06 Mercury Grand Marquis (don't ask....it gets the job done....)
    '84 Specialized Allez - full Campagnolo Super Record
    '99-ish Cannondale CAAD4
    "Stinky" - Kona Stinky Five
    '86 528e
    2008 E70 X5 3.0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast