Thread: Driveshaft and Trailing Arm questions

My Cars
    2002 325xi

Driveshaft and Trailing Arm questions

So I've finally gotten around to getting another driveshaft (salvage yard - $65) for my 2002 325xi. Is there anything I need to make sure to do before going ahead and installing it? Does it need to go in a certain way as to not throw off its own balancing? There's already a new center support and flex disc in there that I will be transferring to this newer driveshaft. The original problem is that my rear U-joint on my current driveshaft is slightly seized on one axis, which is causing some lovely vibrations at certain RPMs in certain gears. I'd like any advisory information you guys can throw at me so I can go into it knowing as much as possible aside from HOW to install it.

My other questions are regarding the trailing arms. Both of my protection plates in the rear are rotted off and my drum brake shoes, due to the springs, are being pulled outside of the drum portion of the rotor. I had gotten a couple of new protection plates to install, but those low-profile bolts are just too damn rusted and too damn thin for any of my tools to get a decent enough grip on to get them out. I kind of just want to get replacement trailing arms with new bushings and wheel hubs just to make my life easier because I'll end up having to cut those bolts out or something crazy. There HAS to be an easy(ish) way to get those low profile bolts out. None of my sockets or wrenches can keep a good grip on them due to being so low-profile. I ended up getting so frustrated that I just threw everything back together and called it quits for the time being.

I know the wheel hubs are a super pain to deal with on this car, so taking them off is a far-cry from a reasonable possibility. But if it has to come to that, I guess I'll have to put up with it.

And another quick concern I'd like advice about...

I had brought this beast in for a wheel alignment and the mechanic gave the car back to me saying he couldn't get the rear end aligned whatsoever due to being "frozen" or something like that (I did this like 3-4 months ago). I didn't know what that meant, and I'm unhappy with how the rear end looks like it's squatting (the tires look bowed out; I'm not sure what the mechanical jargon is for that). Is there anything I can check out to try and fix that? I had replaced all the shocks and struts last year and couldn't get to doing a wheel alignment until the 3-4 months ago. I know I used all correct part numbers and did my best to install everything properly. I watched a few different videos of people installing the suspension in the e46 3-series cars.

Thanks in advance for any replies!

My Cars
    2002 325xi
    Update

Replaced the driveshaft today and I now have NO vibrations
    Also replaced the front passenger CV axle since the old one's rubber boots tore wide open, but that's besides the post.

I would still like to know about an easier way to take off the rear dust shields and how to align the rear wheels, though.

Cheers!