Thread: E39 Key/ EWS question - car won't start with remote key, but will start with Valet

My Cars
    2001 525iT

E39 Key/ EWS question - car won't start with remote key, but will start with Valet

I've been scouring the forums, but trying to figure out what's happening or what I need to do?

My remote key has been working fine, lock/unlock works normal, and have had no issues... until yesterday.

Went to start the car and was able to unlock the doors using the remote, however the car wouldn't start. Turned the key, and nothing happened. For a minute I thought maybe the car battery was dead, but it's almost new, so ruled that out.

I tried using the valet key (my only other key), and the car fired right up.

Tried using the remote key right after using the valet key, and the car fired right up.

If I wait for a while and then use the remote key again, it doesn't work.... but using the valet key process makes it work again.

Can anyone tell me what's going on... is it a remote problem, EWS, etc? I'm reading and trying to interpret but could use some help.

I've wanted to get a new remote key to have a spare, maybe now's the time?

* I have done the remote initialization procedure twice and got the lock/unlock confirmation, then turned the ignition switch on and off to complete that procedure. The remote is working fine for unlock/lock, it seems it's EWS related.
    Last edited by Flynfish; 02-01-2019 at 01:12 PM.

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Flynfish View Post
    I've been scouring the forums, but trying to figure out what's happening or what I need to do?

My remote key has been working fine, lock/unlock works normal, and have had no issues... until yesterday.

Went to start the car and was able to unlock the doors using the remote, however the car wouldn't start. Turned the key, and nothing happened. For a minute I thought maybe the car battery was dead, but it's almost new, so ruled that out.

I tried using the valet key (my only other key), and the car fired right up.

Tried using the remote key right after using the valet key, and the car fired right up.

If I wait for a while and then use the remote key again, it doesn't work.... but using the valet key process makes it work again.

Can anyone tell me what's going on... is it a remote problem, EWS, etc? I'm reading and trying to interpret but could use some help.

I've wanted to get a new remote key to have a spare, maybe now's the time?
    I'd say a bad key transponder in the remote key. Using the valet and then the remote key right after probably works as there is a window of time that allows it to start when doing this... Do you have a diamond key or the old fat key with rubber buttons?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2001 525iT
    It's the diamond key. So would getting a new key fix the issue or is there a way to repair it?

My Cars
    2001 525iT
    The antenna was bad on my old key. Sent that, along with my EWS module and a new key to Dillon (as this post mentions), and he was able to fix the old key, and reprogram the new one. Super fast service, while I was away on vacation which was convenient. The package arrived the day we got home, and had no time lost using my car!! Great fix!

I spent $30 for a new key from eBay... one of the nicer ones I could find that was a BMW key, $40 total ($20ea) for two keys to be programmed, and ~$25 total for shipping both ways, so in total about $95 for 2 remote keys. It took about 8 days from the time I shipped to when they were back at my door, and we live on opposite coasts. Pretty good deal, I'd say!
    Last edited by Flynfish; 02-12-2019 at 11:36 PM.