Thread: '95 M3; CEL remains

My Cars
    1995 M3

'95 M3; CEL remains

Failed smog; HC high. I think idling, but have to check. It passed in one speed.
    I was so disappointed I didn't even bother to look at the results after leaving the shop.

Replaced O2 sensor 14 months ago hoping it would clear, but hasn't.

Plugs about same time, IIRC. I think they were NGK BKR6KE or 6QUP. I'll look bc I always save the old plugs in the new boxes and date and number them jic.
    Checked for cracked hose to HFM. Found small ones at upper connections and taped up past Sunday.
    Guess it would behoove me to replace those asap.
    Peake code 29: Air Mass Sensor

In the past, I've found that the reader isn't always completely accurate, but it's a starting point.

I checked filter and it didn't look damaged or dirty; shook/tapped out.
    Removed HFM and didn't see any buildup on sensor. Guess I should clean anyway when I have the time.
    Maybe I should do the pedal stomp test for corroboration.

I forget how to remove those fasteners that hold it to the housing it's been so long., but it obviously requires a special tool; or a pair of pliers that'll grab them.
    I haven't touched the ICV in years. Idles just fine.

Printout is in the car. Time for bed. I'll post numbers tomorrow.
    Walk a mile in my shoes and you are a mile away in someone else's shoes.
    Goodridge*UUC sways* Black TME's and mounts( switched from Red)* x-brace*brembo rotors*Zimmerman rear*Pagid*Riken Raptors* Roja Formula 7's (Bronze)* Stromung*Powdercoated AA DSB* OMP strut bar*GC RSM's* M3 alum/leather knob*JTD underpanel *Traffic PRO (sold) *Black hella Ellipsoids w/celis rings * ACS Pedals*ACS handbrake*RE Octane SSK*Wheelskins Eurotones S/ Wheel Cover( tossed-replaced with new one)* Totally Covers Front seat velour covers with custom styling *Rieger roof spoiler-lost it on fwy Stock A/B*URI CP (ditched years ago)*540 HFM (sold) Stock HFM (BeckArnley)*FMS 24 lb inj*Alum rad and some other stuff*Konis w/adj rr's*Vogtland springs ** Passport 8500(sold)*Passpprt 7500 (sold V1-1.8 with POP) No detectors at all.
    Coming...nada

BMWCCA-303681

My Cars
    2001 e46 323i
    Quote Originally Posted by Balthazarr View Post
    Failed smog; HC high. I think idling, but have to check. It passed in one speed.
    I was so disappointed I didn't even bother to look at the results after leaving the shop.

Replaced O2 sensor 14 months ago hoping it would clear, but hasn't.

Plugs about same time, IIRC. I think they were NGK BKR6KE or 6QUP. I'll look bc I always save the old plugs in the new boxes and date and number them jic.
    Checked for cracked hose to HFM. Found small ones at upper connections and taped up past Sunday.

In the past, I've found that the reader isn't always completely accurate, but it's a starting point.

I checked filter and it didn't look damaged or dirty; shook/tapped out.
    Removed HFM and didn't see any buildup on sensor. Guess I should clean anyway when I have the time.
    Maybe I should do the pedal stomp test for corroboration.

I forget how to remove those fasteners that hold it to the housing it's been so long., but it obviously requires a special tool; or a pair of pliers that'll grab them.
    I haven't touched the ICV in years. Idles just fine.

Printout is in the car. Time for bed. I'll post numbers tomorrow.
    "HC high" indicates a rich condition, probably resulting from either excess fuel being dumped to compensate for a vacuum leak (perceived "lean condition"), or a dirty/faulty MAF sensor. IMO your issue lies somewhere in what's in bold in your text. If the cats are overheating they could trigger that as well, but I would look into vacuum leaks/MAF sensor first.
    Last edited by Breeze1; 02-01-2019 at 05:35 AM.
    "If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters." Alan K. Simpson.
    5spd E46 "3XX": 328i engine, 330i Intake and exhaust, CAI, 323i diff.

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Get the OBDFusion app for your smartphone or tablet. Then head over to E46Fanatics and search for threads on OBDFusion in which jfoj has commented. He’s the guru. The app will let you check the MAF measuring air flow and a plethora of other sensors.

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcoZandrini View Post
    Get the OBDFusion app for your smartphone or tablet. Then head over to E46Fanatics and search for threads on OBDFusion in which jfoj has commented. He’s the guru. The app will let you check the MAF measuring air flow and a plethora of other sensors.

Marc,

That works on OBD-II cars, and this car is an OBD-I type as it's a 1995.

O.P.
    Yeah, stomp test blinks will give you some idea as where to start. OBD-I isn't very workable, but you can still see live data with INPA to a point. Now it is a tad slow compared to OBD-II, but it can be a start of where to look first.

Also like noted above, make sure your intake track if fully sealed, that would cause a rich condition. Start with the basics of a smoke test and go from there.
    Last edited by dworthy; 02-01-2019 at 08:56 AM.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Sounds like a good idea, MZ. Thanks

After looking at reviews, seems like this app is good for OBDII, only.

- - - Updated - - -

What's INPA?
    Goodridge*UUC sways* Black TME's and mounts( switched from Red)* x-brace*brembo rotors*Zimmerman rear*Pagid*Riken Raptors* Roja Formula 7's (Bronze)* Stromung*Powdercoated AA DSB* OMP strut bar*GC RSM's* M3 alum/leather knob*JTD underpanel *Traffic PRO (sold) *Black hella Ellipsoids w/celis rings * ACS Pedals*ACS handbrake*RE Octane SSK*Wheelskins Eurotones S/ Wheel Cover( tossed-replaced with new one)* Totally Covers Front seat velour covers with custom styling *Rieger roof spoiler-lost it on fwy Stock A/B*URI CP (ditched years ago)*540 HFM (sold) Stock HFM (BeckArnley)*FMS 24 lb inj*Alum rad and some other stuff*Konis w/adj rr's*Vogtland springs ** Passport 8500(sold)*Passpprt 7500 (sold V1-1.8 with POP) No detectors at all.
    Coming...nada

BMWCCA-303681

My Cars
    2001 525it
    How hot was the engine the car the cat needs to be very hot, drive on the freeway for 30 mins bring it in put it on the smog machine. This step is very important. Idling the engine won't get the cat hot enough.

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    INPA is BMW's old diagnostic program. If you have an older laptop or even a newer one, all you need is the program and a cable to be able to talk to the car. INPA will pull all the codes from every module you have on that car, and allow you to clear codes as well.

Here is a cable and the disk: https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-INPA-K-...-/301971578827

Or you can look to find one in the U.S.A. as you will need the 20 pin connector. I use a Dell D-830 Laptop with a true R-232 (Serial) connector to do all my work as those tend to be better than using an USB emulator.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Ooops! RTFP! Thanks Darin.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Coming...nada

BMWCCA-303681

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Tech told me these engines fail HC frequently due to "wrong" plugs. I checked and see I took out the 6EK and replaced with Bosch 7FLDCR in April '18 Shouldn't make a difference, but someone said the NGK were a colder plug.

Also, Realoem doesn't show my intake tract with the non-ASC+T setup. I'm thinking I need to look at the M50 diagrams.
    Coming...nada

BMWCCA-303681

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    You only failed by 4 parts per million, at low speed. I'd recommend that you take Ross's advice, and redo the test with the engine and cats fully warm

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    1997 E36 M3/4/5

Cracked hose?

Quote Originally Posted by Balthazarr View Post

Also give the hose downstream from the HFM some squeezes. that tends to rot and fail in the creases where you can't see it until you squeeze. If you have cracks in your hoses, I'd go ahead and replace them both. That's a pretty common source of air leaks, and you've told us your interior rubber is cracking.
    Marc Plante
    E36 M3/4/5 193k
    Konis+ Dinan Springs, Understeer SS, Shepott European steering Wheel, ZKW Ellipsoids, ECIS Intake+ ATE Foam filter, Stromung Exhaust, Recaro SRDs. JVC Arsenal Head Unit. Alpine MRV-F300 Amp, ADS 535i components, JL Audio Stealthbox Subs

My Track Rig:
    i7700 / 2080 PC with Assetto Corsa and Content Manager, Samsung Odyssey+ VR goggles
    Fanatec CSP wheel and pedals, SSH Shifter, recaro seat. Home built cockpit
    Mt Pleasant, SC, USA

My Cars
    1995 M3
    I ordered a new air filter and boot. The ICV hoses I can't find in Realoem.
    I'm going to try putting in the Part number for the ICV to see which group of diagrams I need to look at.

- - - Updated - - -

Of course I'll need a new IM gasket bc IIRC, getting the hose connected to the ICV requires pulling the manifold.
    Coming...nada

BMWCCA-303681

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    I am not sure where you are looking at in the part catalog, but it is there: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=13_1710
    Darin
    Current:
    Past:
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Yeah, I found and ordered them.
    I couldn't find my HFM in those diagrams. I remember there was a diagram in that ETK cd I had.
    Coming...nada

BMWCCA-303681

My Cars
    1995 M3
    CE is out. Shoulda bought a new HFM in the beginning instead of dickin' around so long.
    Now to smog.
    Coming...nada

BMWCCA-303681

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Failed again.
    HC is higher than before and running 50% methanol for the test. In fact, 89 ppm with less meth previously and now, 144ppm. New cats ordered.
    Changing the oil, as well.
    Coming...nada

BMWCCA-303681

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Passed.
    Coming...nada

BMWCCA-303681

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    So in the end it was a bad cat? Is next year going to be easier as the car will be 25 years by then?
    Darin
    Current:
    Past:
    M-Flight Member