Thread: Hard Time Shifting Into Second Gear

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 Roadster

Hard Time Shifting Into Second Gear

Hello all!

I bought a 2000 Z3 2.3 roughly a year ago and it's been an absolute blast to drive. That said, it's recently it's been really tough shifting into second gear from a cold start while every other gear feels fine. If the car's been driving for 5-10 minutes (or if it was driven recently) the issue with second gear is non-existent. I've read a few forums that were similarly related, but most of them have an issue with multiple gears not just one.

Any insight into the issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

My Cars
    1998 Z3M, 2006 330i
    there are a few threads recently on the topic of shifting problems. The problems seem to vary among gears, but the first things to fix are the same. You can try bleeding the clutch line, but if you're going to that trouble, why not replace the line? you can try new fluid: some say it fixes problems. Most pundits say to get a new SS clutch line. I have one I still haven't put in yet. My car had an aftermarket clutch stop in it. I took that out, and shifting problems went away. That might mean I need to put that SS clutch line in. They are cheap, but a hassle to install.

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Since the problem goes away as it warms up and is restricted to second gear only, I would guess that it's not clutch hydraulics behind it. You reference it being a recent problem and I see you are in Tennessee, have you been experiencing colder temps recently? I am guessing that it is simply a matter of the transmission fluid being very cold and needing to warm up a bit due to cold weather.

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bingley View Post
    Since the problem goes away as it warms up and is restricted to second gear only, I would guess that it's not clutch hydraulics behind it. You reference it being a recent problem and I see you are in Tennessee, have you been experiencing colder temps recently? I am guessing that it is simply a matter of the transmission fluid being very cold and needing to warm up a bit due to cold weather.
    Thanks for the reply, Bingley! It's certainly been cold here the last few months, but I had the car last winter and there wasn't an issue then. If it was the transmission fluid thickening up due to the cold, would it effect other gears?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by zellamay View Post
    there are a few threads recently on the topic of shifting problems. The problems seem to vary among gears, but the first things to fix are the same. You can try bleeding the clutch line, but if you're going to that trouble, why not replace the line? you can try new fluid: some say it fixes problems. Most pundits say to get a new SS clutch line. I have one I still haven't put in yet. My car had an aftermarket clutch stop in it. I took that out, and shifting problems went away. That might mean I need to put that SS clutch line in. They are cheap, but a hassle to install.
    I appreciate the reply, Zellamay. I've read that bleeding & replacing the clutch line might be the best place to start. I've also thought about replacing the transmission fluid in hopes that it's simply the fluid thickening up due to cold weather. It's just odd that it's only second gear being effected. If I end up bleeding or replacing the clutch line I'll report back with any changes!

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by velenium View Post
    I've also thought about replacing the transmission fluid in hopes that it's simply the fluid thickening up due to cold weather. It's just odd that it's only second gear being effected. If I end up bleeding or replacing the clutch line I'll report back with any changes!
    My car is tough to shift into 5th when the transmission oil is cold. Other gears are not affected.
    Wayne

1998 M Roadster
    1994 Honda ST1100--sold
    2017 Yamaha FJR1300ES

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by velenium View Post
    Thanks for the reply, Bingley! It's certainly been cold here the last few months, but I had the car last winter and there wasn't an issue then. If it was the transmission fluid thickening up due to the cold, would it effect other gears?!
    Yeah, it may be colder this year than last--I know that's true here (-5 yesterday morning). It may only take a couple of degrees lower for you to notice hard shifting. It's going to effect some gear first--it appears to be second. Clutch line symptoms are the opposite--shifting is fine on a cold start, but gets harder as the car warms up. You could try pumping the clutch to see if that makes a difference--if it does that would indicate air in the hydraulics. You can try double clutching into second (pushing the clutch pedal in to get into neutral, letting it out in neutral, pushing it in again to go into second, all in quick succession), if that makes it shift properly then you might have a synchro issue in second--but I doubt that because it wouldn't get better when warm. Have you tried keeping it in a heated garage overnight?

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3
    My second gear syncro is pretty well shot. When it's cold, it will let it in but not mesh, and many grinds will be had. No problem for me, as I double clutch 2nd only. Works fine. Perhaps give it a shot on the cold days and see if goes in any better.