Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: M5/540i MSport front bumper cover replacement.

My Cars
    '03 530i/5 Sport
    A sneak peak of an update I've been meaning to show you guys ... I got the rear M bumper and Magnaflow 14815 muffler installed! More pics tomorrow after a good wash since the car is currently covered with pollen and dust.

I bought the rear bumper from a US based eBay seller called bestracingmotors. $268 shipped via Fedex. Departed CA on Friday, arrived at my front door on Monday. Expertly packed and wrapped. PP but stamped Made in Taiwan (reputed to be better than Chinese bumpers). Like the front bumper, it's definitely less sturdy than OEM bumper covers, but not alarmingly so. It came with the rear diffuser piece plus the two moldings that wrap around the sides. It was not primed.

I took the bumper to a local, well-reviewed Maaco for a paint job. Paid $300. Came out nice.

I spent this morning installing the bumper. The only hiccup is a slight wave in the top of the bumper near where it meets the car under the license plate. To be honest I'm not sure if it came like that from the seller or happened during the paint job - I didn't notice until I put it on today. I'm wondering if I can massage it out with a bit of heat.

Then I took the car to a muffler shop for installation of the Magnaflow. The shop did a great job trimming the lower plastic diffuser piece to fit the tips. The guy tried to convince me to do a Y-resonator delete while I was there, because he didn't think the Magna sounded any different from stock. But I turned it down since I was worried about drone. I've only been on a quick drive but I'm very happy so far with the sound as it is. It is a lot like stock, but with a very subtle extra bass. That's exactly what I wanted.

Overall I'm thrilled. I also did buy one of those cheap, pre-sprayed trunk lip spoilers to complete the M look but I actually like the naked trunk lid and may leave it off. Given the comments in this thread, I would not buy from Umnitza. There are plenty of other people out there selling the same bumpers with much better customer service and better prices.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    1995 525i/5
    Looks pretty good! Do you have the foam piece that's supposed to go underneath the bumper? I've heard that helps quite a bit with the waviness.

It's number 13 on this diagram: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=51_3724

This guy made a pretty good video covering this foam piece: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iCWSf2-hm4
    Last edited by dannyzabolotny; 04-18-2019 at 06:41 PM.
    1995 525i 5-speed - Thread

My Cars
    '03 530i/5 Sport
    Ah yes ... the foam piece is in there but it broke into two pieces when I was transferring it over from the old bumper to the new one. It was held onto the rebar with a bead of some kind of adhesive and as I was yanking it (it needed to come out so I get to the clips holding onto the rebar), it broke.

I might order the replacement.

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Yep, that piece of styrofoam is critical in the rear bumper cover.
    Set the controls for the heart of the sun

My Cars
    '03 530i/5 Sport
    Ordered a new one, thanks!

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    Quote Originally Posted by cpf9 View Post
    My Latvian-sourced bumper arrived today. Some initial observations:

1. It's PP, not ABS as I thought it would be, stamped Made in Taiwan.
    2. The bumper was well packaged and undamaged in transit. All accessories - fogs, bulbs, mesh and rub strips - are present.
    3. The holes for the washer-nozzle cut-outs are neat and cleanly cut. So clean in fact I wonder if the bumper came like this from the factory.
    4. I had the seller pre-paint the bumper in 668 Jet Black. Finish looks excellent. No complaints here. Very good paint job as far as I can see.

I am excited to put it on the car, but rain is forecast for the whole day and I'm busy tomorrow. So most likely it will have to wait until the weekend. Since the bumper is not OEM, I am expecting some fitment issues at the fender edge but I will keep my fingers crossed and see what I can do.

For $364 shipped (cheaper than Umnitza, even for their PP option) I'm very happy so far.

Attachment 647990
    Attachment 647991
    Attachment 647992
    Attachment 647993
    Attachment 647996

Does this seller offer a non-painted version / front bumper ?

Looking for an E39 belly pan , passenger front inner fender liner …

My Cars
    '03 530i/5 Sport
    Yes he does! This is the auction link I used:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/173455131109

Just select "No" in the drop down for paint and it will calculate a price without painting. You might want to confirm in a message to the seller if you buy from him.

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    Yes he does! This is the auction link I used:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/173455131109

Just select "No" in the drop down for paint and it will calculate a price without painting. You might want to confirm in a message to the seller if you buy from him.
    Thanks !
    I came out to be about $240 shipped.
    Is that better than other vendors ?

Looking for an E39 belly pan , passenger front inner fender liner …

My Cars
    Two 2003 540i6 Msports
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason5driver View Post
    Thanks !
    I came out to be about $240 shipped.
    Is that better than other vendors ?
    I'm jealous...
    I do not believe in a risk free society where the thrill of living is traded for the safety of existence. Nick Ienatsch

The law does NOT determine "right" from "wrong". They are unrelated.

If you put cheap parts on your car, you will soon have a cheap parts car.

My Cars
    2002 BMW 530I
    A sneak peak of an update I've been meaning to show you guys ... I got the rear M bumper and Magnaflow 14815 muffler installed! More pics tomorrow after a good wash since the car is currently covered with pollen and dust.

I bought the rear bumper from a US based eBay seller called bestracingmotors. $268 shipped via Fedex. Departed CA on Friday, arrived at my front door on Monday. Expertly packed and wrapped. PP but stamped Made in Taiwan (reputed to be better than Chinese bumpers). Like the front bumper, it's definitely less sturdy than OEM bumper covers, but not alarmingly so. It came with the rear diffuser piece plus the two moldings that wrap around the sides. It was not primed.

I took the bumper to a local, well-reviewed Maaco for a paint job. Paid $300. Came out nice.

I spent this morning installing the bumper. The only hiccup is a slight wave in the top of the bumper near where it meets the car under the license plate. To be honest I'm not sure if it came like that from the seller or happened during the paint job - I didn't notice until I put it on today. I'm wondering if I can massage it out with a bit of heat.

Then I took the car to a muffler shop for installation of the Magnaflow. The shop did a great job trimming the lower plastic diffuser piece to fit the tips. The guy tried to convince me to do a Y-resonator delete while I was there, because he didn't think the Magna sounded any different from stock. But I turned it down since I was worried about drone. I've only been on a quick drive but I'm very happy so far with the sound as it is. It is a lot like stock, but with a very subtle extra bass. That's exactly what I wanted.

Overall I'm thrilled. I also did buy one of those cheap, pre-sprayed trunk lip spoilers to complete the M look but I actually like the naked trunk lid and may leave it off. Given the comments in this thread, I would not buy from Umnitza. There are plenty of other people out there selling the same bumpers with much better customer service and better prices.
    Woww that looks awesome!!! Now I am more convince to convert the rear bumper into the M version, it looks really clean. Anyways is there any fitment issues on wheel arch being short or is it 100%? I ask because the front bumpers are quite different from the back fittings. And wheres the sound clip for the exhaust?!?! And post some side shots on that car..

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2002 BMW 530I
    Quote Originally Posted by Santaclaus4 View Post
    I'm jealous...
    Jealous?! You have 2 e39s on your garage!!! Aaaand they are both 540s.. just swap the bumper from the new one to the garage queen 540 you are using.

Btw how does the bumper you dont want to put on looks like? How bad is it you dont wanna put it on? Show us some pics because honestly a body shop could work its magic and turn it back into 100% And again if your still jealous well the price for a body shop working its magic on that oe bad bumper you dont wanna put on might be around less than $400

My Cars
    '03 530i/5 Sport
    No fitment issues at the wheel arch. The only issue is that the rear wheel well liners clip to the bumper with three of those pin type plastic clips on each side. The holes don't line up exactly and it took a bit of pushing and shoving to get them in (it would be much easier to do this by removing the wheels, freeing up more space, but I did not want to do this).

More pics to follow soon!

Quote Originally Posted by slowthirtynine View Post
    Woww that looks awesome!!! Now I am more convince to convert the rear bumper into the M version, it looks really clean. Anyways is there any fitment issues on wheel arch being short or is it 100%? I ask because the front bumpers are quite different from the back fittings. And wheres the sound clip for the exhaust?!?! And post some side shots on that car..

My Cars
    '03 530i/5 Sport
    Some pics after a wash and a video of the exhaust startup!

My Cars
    '03 530i/5 Sport
    More pics

My Cars
    2002 BMW 530I
    More pics
    Looks super clean like it just left the factory!
    Listening to your exhaust note, it sounds just like mine. Little more bass/growl. Its prettt subtle, I think it really is the resonator that makes the difference but then its the drone... I tell you what, lemme know who the seller for the bumper and Ill purchase from them then Ill have my resonators(x2) cutt off and do a dual tips..Ill be the guinea pig on this. Ill post updates on drone sounds or so when Its all said and done.

My Cars
    e34,e38,e39,e46,e70,e90
    I basically did the same last week, M-Sport rear bumper, black Carbon Fiber vinyl on the diffuser (I also forgot to install the Styrofoam so it needs to come off again), Magnaflow glass resonator and Magnaflow 14xxx muffler. I like the tips you used, what are they?

No drone with the Y resonator deleted, the Magnaflow glass resonator did the job well. A PO removed the Y resonator and the muffler guy warned me of drone if I did not use a resonator, so I did the Magnaflow glass flow through type. My entire exhaust setup was $275 out the door.

For those interested...
    Resonator: AP Exhaust 18" Glasspack
    Muffler: Magnaflow 11225 (14")

My next step is the front bumper. Looking at your supplier in Latvia. Does it look like it can handle a Hamm lip install also, I'd like to put a black Carbon Fiber lip on it too.

UPDATE: Ordered the lip from Latvia in 668 Jet Black, $389 shipped painted. Aren't there additional plastic parts that need to be fitted between the bumper and the wheel well? L shaped or something?

Last edited by kouks; 04-22-2019 at 01:09 PM.

02 e39 540i Sport (Son), 01 DINAN 7 (Me), 12 e70 X5 x35i (Mrs), 95 e34 525i (Daughter 2), 01 e46 325Ci vert (Daughter 1)

My Cars
    '03 530i/5 Sport
    Thanks for the compliment slowthirtynine! This is the link for the rear bumper on ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/M-Style-Rea...kAAOSwqu9VLtUc

Kouks: I don't see why it wouldn't take the front lip. As for the tips, all part of the muffler, the 14815 model: https://www.amazon.com/MagnaFlow-Exh...r=8-1-fkmrnull

My Cars
    e34,e38,e39,e46,e70,e90
    Thanks for the compliment slowthirtynine! This is the link for the rear bumper on ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/M-Style-Rea...kAAOSwqu9VLtUc

Kouks: I don't see why it wouldn't take the front lip. As for the tips, all part of the muffler, the 14815 model: https://www.amazon.com/MagnaFlow-Exh...r=8-1-fkmrnull
    Thanks, I used a Y tip on mine since I didn't want to carve out the diffuser any more. Did you install the additional plastic parts behind the bumper, are they L shaped or something?

02 e39 540i Sport (Son), 01 DINAN 7 (Me), 12 e70 X5 x35i (Mrs), 95 e34 525i (Daughter 2), 01 e46 325Ci vert (Daughter 1)

My Cars
    '03 530i/5 Sport
    I believe the L-shaped thing you are referring to is a hanger that the muffler guy fabricated/installed. When I dropped the car off he said that the car only has one hanger for the stock exhaust, but that the Magnaflow was heavier and would therefore need another one added.

My Cars
    2002 BMW 530I
    Quote Originally Posted by kouks View Post
    I basically did the same last week, M-Sport rear bumper, black Carbon Fiber vinyl on the diffuser (I also forgot to install the Styrofoam so it needs to come off again), Magnaflow glass resonator and Magnaflow 14xxx muffler. I like the tips you used, what are they?

No drone with the Y resonator deleted, the Magnaflow glass resonator did the job well. A PO removed the Y resonator and the muffler guy warned me of drone if I did not use a resonator, so I did the Magnaflow glass flow through type. My entire exhaust setup was $275 out the door.

My next step is the front bumper. Looking at your supplier in Latvia. Does it look like it can handle a Hamm lip install also, I'd like to put a black Carbon Fiber lip on it too.

UPDATE: Ordered the lip from Latvia in 668 Jet Black, $389 shipped painted. Aren't there additional plastic parts that need to be fitted between the bumper and the wheel well? L shaped or something?

Hey man your ride looks awesome, regarding the wheel fender you will have a gap about 2 1/2 from underneath the bumper to the wheel fender. And you wont be able to screw the ones on the bottom side. With mine I solved it with zip ties, Ill take a photo in the morning to show you.

https://youtu.be/7J4Gfhyh8fE

That video shows 3 different setups. That being said the last one is the goal, There isn't much comment on the video about the drone nor I was able to find a video with both resonators off, muffler delete showcasing the sound inside the interior or high quality sound. I know the guys here said it drones but i wanna experience it first hand if its worth it..if its bad then Ill slap the magnaflow muffler to supress it.

My Cars
    Two 2003 540i6 Msports
    20190320_070317.jpg
    Princess (AKA Garage Queen)

20190420_235114.jpg
    and the Pea (Spelled with two e's) AKA the "project car" in it's current assignment.

20190421_034550.jpg20190421_034622.jpg
    Original (factory) bumper cover

20190421_034712.jpg
    What the headlight washer cutout is supposed to look like.

Quote Originally Posted by slowthirtynine View Post
    Jealous?! You have 2 e39s on your garage!!! Aaaand they are both 540s.. just swap the bumper from the new one to the garage queen 540 you are using.

Btw how does the bumper you dont want to put on looks like? How bad is it you dont wanna put it on? Show us some pics because honestly a body shop could work its magic and turn it back into 100% And again if your still jealous well the price for a body shop working its magic on that oe bad bumper you dont wanna put on might be around less than $400

Last edited by Santaclaus4; 04-21-2019 at 07:12 AM.
    I do not believe in a risk free society where the thrill of living is traded for the safety of existence. Nick Ienatsch

My Cars
    '03 530i/5 Sport
    Kouks; I misunderstood what you meant by the L-shaped thing. You're referring to the "pork chops" that attach the bottom of the front bumper to the wheel arch liner. These parts are specific to the M5 and M-Sport and if you buy OEM they cost about $300 each!

It is possible to run the M5/M-Sport bumper on a non-M car without them. The bottom edge of the stock wheel arch liners won't be secure to the bumper, leaving a tiny gap. They also run a bit long, past the bumper. You can see what this looks like in one of the pics I posted earlier, when I first installed the bumper.

I didn't want to spend silly money on plastic parts, but I also wanted the cleanest possible look. So I took a chance on aftermarket pork chops on ebay that sell for $130 a pair. These ones: https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E39-M5-...wAAOSwnXhciAzn

Again, they aren't as sturdy as OEM parts but they do fine. I am happy with the result and would recommend them.

My Cars
    e34,e38,e39,e46,e70,e90
    Kouks; I misunderstood what you meant by the L-shaped thing. You're referring to the "pork chops" that attach the bottom of the front bumper to the wheel arch liner. These parts are specific to the M5 and M-Sport and if you buy OEM they cost about $300 each!

It is possible to run the M5/M-Sport bumper on a non-M car without them. The bottom edge of the stock wheel arch liners won't be secure to the bumper, leaving a tiny gap. They also run a bit long, past the bumper. You can see what this looks like in one of the pics I posted earlier, when I first installed the bumper.

I didn't want to spend silly money on plastic parts, but I also wanted the cleanest possible look. So I took a chance on aftermarket pork chops on ebay that sell for $130 a pair. These ones: https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E39-M5-...wAAOSwnXhciAzn

Again, they aren't as sturdy as OEM parts but they do fine. I am happy with the result and would recommend them.
    Yep, that's what I was looking for!

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    I will be painting an aftermarket sport bumper soon for my green wagon, when I do, I will do a thread on home made ABS porkchops complete with fried rice and eggs....
    Set the controls for the heart of the sun

My Cars
    Two 2003 540i6 Msports
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmrMeUpSnotty View Post
    I will do a thread on home made ABS porkchops complete with fried rice and eggs....
    What would be the best Scotch to go with that? I prefer an Islay but it might clash with the ABS porkchops.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast