Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sub frame - slightly different take

My Cars
    2000 Z3M

sub frame - slightly different take

I purchased a 2000 M from an auction last year. The sub frame started exhibiting the tell tale signs. The RF kit looks great, but the cost estimates including installation would push my “good deal” car into the “not good deal” car range. I opted for a local shop to tackle the issue. I am happy with their work. It’s winter and I haven’t driven it other than home from the shop. Felt stiffer but that may all be in my mind, lol. Here are a few pics....

inside the trunk still looks stock
    2157FABD-D299-47C8-B798-13BFC87D460F.jpeg

Under the carpet
    20AF4B1D-E835-4E7D-8BA5-6A0DE64E72AE.jpeg

F2AB64E8-0258-498A-866D-2AADF08F91D8.jpeg

191A8D9D-1E78-4379-8596-08C99E42288F.jpeg

A couple from under the car in the next post.

My Cars
    z3
    Its not strengthened to the frame rails though so what will keep the trunkfloor secure?

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    2000 Z3M
    And the pics from below...

0C9FF9C5-4A0A-4B89-BA0A-1DA23FA918F8.jpeg

1634772F-6D01-4091-BAE2-E0AB323F03D9.jpeg

- - - Updated - - -

I can’t remember the term the used, but the new piece, trunk floor and sub frame are attached (combined?)

My Cars
    2000 Z3 M-Roadster
    It's hard to comment on their solution by looking at a handful of pictures. I'd like to know how their solution holds up long term and under what driving conditions.
    Tony
    "You can't sign away negligence."

My Cars
    2002 Z3 3.0L roadster
    Did you purchase the kit, or did the shop, and how long did they keep it? Were you experiencing any symptoms that made you check the trunk and underneath the car, or just dumb luck?

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Ok, I think what I'm seeing in the pics is a cross brace welded to the floor above the existing cross member and some Styrofoam blocks--is that it or am I missing something there? For underneath it looks like a bracket has been bolted to the differential cover on the driver's side and this is attached to the cross member and perhaps the muffler hanger, by welding? Hey, it looks better than nothing, albeit unconventional. Why didn't your shop want to install the RF kit? It certainly looks like they had do a lot of the same work. What did they charge you?

My Cars
    ...it depands
    How does that additional diff ear mount? Does it have any bushing (or some sort) because it should have a matching bushing otherwise it may actually cause more issues in vibration.
    2000 Z3 M Titanium Silver / Imola Red+Black Nappa
    2011 328i E92 Space Gray Metallic / Leder Dakota+Oyster
    Since 1987 12 euros / 2 kdms / 2 jdms
    - Zach

My Cars
    2000 Z3M
    Due to the known issues with the subframe, I checked periodically and caught it before it was too far gone. The shop did the fabrication in house, no kit. They do a lot of fabrication work and said they would prefer to do it in house. This was the first Z3 sub frame issue they have worked on so I don’t want to quote a price in case they underestimated! It was quite a bit less expensive them most of the prices I have seen on the forum. They had my car about 2 and a half weeks.

I am excited to see how it works. I have confidence in the shop. They do frame up builds on Porsche race cars, some pretty intensive restoration projects and seemingly a bunch of other cool stuff based on what is sitting around. Redstone Performance Engineering. Their Facebook and Instagram pages have more images if you feel like some eye candy.

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Either you or they need to go back underneath and clean/seal/paint the burned through areas, or you're inviting a corrosion problem.

I'd also recommend that you continue to monitor the areas immediately to the left and right of the tophat they added; the LH side in particular, as THAT is where all the separation starts.

My Cars
    2000 Z3M
    Quote Originally Posted by nevan View Post
    How does that additional diff ear mount? Does it have any bushing (or some sort) because it should have a matching bushing otherwise it may actually cause more issues in vibration.

Why do you think it will cause a vibration? I didn't notice anything on my drive home. Albeitthat is not a very big data set!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Forbes View Post
    Either you or they need to go back underneath and clean/seal/paint the burned through areas, or you're inviting a corrosion problem.

I'd also recommend that you continue to monitor the areas immediately to the left and right of the tophat they added; the LH side in particular, as THAT is where all the separation starts.

Thanks Randy. It is up on stands in the garage now and I plan on addressing that. I will be checking this work frequently to see how it performs. Not sure if it is a "money back guarantee", but they said if I had any issues to bring it back.

My Cars
    ...it depands
    Quote Originally Posted by Hirsch990 View Post
    Why do you think it will cause a vibration?...
    I meant to say "during the vibration". It appears the right side ear would lock in which may cause similar issue as having the harder polyurethane bushing. If I were you, I would minitor them closely for any false symptoms. - Sorry that I had to be that guy to rain on parade...
    - Zach

My Cars
    2000 Z3M
    I meant to say "during the vibration". It appears the right side ear would lock in which may cause similar issue as having the harder polyurethane bushing. If I were you, I would minitor them closely. - Sorry that I had to be that guy to rain on parade...
    No rain! It's a slightly different solution. It will either work or not I suppose. Like I said these guys do a lot of interesting work so I wanted to see what they came up with for a solution. Now if will just warm up I can drive it and see!

My Cars
    Z3M, X5M
    Right, the mount should have a busing. something like this could've been used
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -Phil

My Cars
    2000 Z3M
    They used a Delrin washer at the pivot. Their opinion was it did not need a bushing here. If that is an incorrect assumption on their part, what should I look for to indicate it is not working? What symptoms will I experience?

My Cars
    ...it depands
    Quote Originally Posted by Hirsch990 View Post
    They used a Delrin washer at the pivot. Their opinion was it did not need a bushing here. If that is an incorrect assumption on their part, what should I look for to indicate it is not working? What symptoms will I experience?
    Look at the video "bionicbelly" member included in the post:
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...4#post29549064

In worse case, I would imagine the tear would take place on the Delrin washer side... Hopefully, it won't happend to you though (nor to anyone).
    - Zach

My Cars
    MRoadster,Tacoma,DR650
    Is there any reason why spot weld tear prevention couldn’t be accomplished by drlling them out and replacing with nuts and bolts? I don’t see welds being a very good solution since the thin sheet metal is the weak link. The failing spot welds are not bad welds, since they’re not separating in the weld, but cracking around the perimeter. The thin base metal is actually what’s failing.

Obviously this doesn’t address the differential mount failure, but should provide a more solid mount.

My Cars
    98 Z3, 01 330i, 07 328iT
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigershark48 View Post
    Is there any reason why spot weld tear prevention couldn’t be accomplished by drlling them out and replacing with nuts and bolts? I don’t see welds being a very good solution since the thin sheet metal is the weak link. The failing spot welds are not bad welds, since they’re not separating in the weld, but cracking around the perimeter. The thin base metal is actually what’s failing.

Obviously this doesn’t address the differential mount failure, but should provide a more solid mount.
    I wouldn't drill them out if they haven't failed. If reinforcing using fasteners, then drill in between the welds and add bolts/nuts/washers etc. My Z3 doesn't show signs of welds failing, but if it ever does, I'd go the full RF treatment.

My Cars
    MRoadster,Tacoma,DR650
    Good point. Mine’s not failing either. My question was aimed at those that are.

What does the RF treatment look like anyway. I’ve asked for pictures, but have no clue as to details.

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    ... What does the RF treatment look like anyway. I’ve asked for pictures, but have no clue as to details.
    It goes under the trunk floor.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    BMW MOA 696, BMW CCA 1405

My Cars
    MRster / Z4 M4i / X5 M50
    The spot welds are not the problem, they are the symptom. Somewhere is this forum Randy explains what is actually going on when you have a failure and why screws don't work.

Check out the subframe thread - https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...-mount-failure

It has pictures and explains everything.
    Last edited by khammack; 01-31-2019 at 09:50 PM.
    2002 M Roadster, Steel Gray Metailic, Gray Nappa Leather, Black Soft Top, Steel Gray Metailic Hard Top, TC Kline Double Adj Shocks with H&R Springs, Stromung Exhaust, SSR Type C Wheels. Looking for a new home.

2022 Z4 M40i, Misano Blue Metallic, Prem Pkg, Driver Assistance Pkg

2023 X5 M50, Phytonic Blue, Black Extended Merion Leather, Driving Asst Pro Pkg, Park Asst Pkg, Exec Pkg, Climate Comfort Pkg.

My Cars
    2000 Z3M
    Look at the video "bionicbelly" member included in the post:
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...4#post29549064

In worse case, I would imagine the tear would take place on the Delrin washer side... Hopefully, it won't happend to you though (nor to anyone).

I have seen that video as well as a couple other under car videos. All of the ones I have found have been single ear. I like to see one of the dual ear.

My Cars
    MRoadster,Tacoma,DR650
    Thank you both for your responses with picture and link. You’ve both answered my questions. I can see where nuts and bolts alone, even if they were between the spot welds could never add the strength and rigidity that Randy’s fix does. Clearly a solid design.

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Is there any reason why spot weld tear prevention couldn’t be accomplished by drilling them out and replacing with nuts and bolts? I don’t see welds being a very good solution since the thin sheet metal is the weak link. The failing spot welds are not bad welds, since they’re not separating in the weld, but cracking around the perimeter. The thin base metal is actually what’s failing.

I can think of one (1) reason...

Like Ken says, the spotwelds are merely the symptom, anything short of adding strength to the entire floor (and in my opinion, tying that into the side rails) has proven to do more harm than good. Indeed, most of the cars that I've done as the second solution usually wind up costing the owners twice as much to repair and reinforce than if I'd been chosen first. Not including the cost of the failed repair.

My own cars are coming up on fifteen (15) years now with the first two (2) prototype kits installed (some detail changes were made for production) and the same design since December 2004 when the first customer cars were being done. Nobody has come back with any structurally related issues, including cars with LS# V8 swaps and forced induction up to 650 rwhp.

12540951_10153410687026448_4887241401825184863_n.jpg

My Cars
    Z3M, X5M
    I'm using Randy's kit with a single diff ear reinforcement. Installation cost should be less going that route. To save even more you can do it yourself. I learned how to MIG weld and used the money saved to buy a lift.
    -Phil

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Quote Originally Posted by Z-Thrizzle View Post
    I'm using Randy's kit with a single diff ear reinforcement. Installation cost should be less going that route. To save even more you can do it yourself. I learned how to MIG weld and used the money saved to buy a lift.
    THIS, people, this is what I'm talking about!

I never foresaw a dozen shops around the country doing the installations; my kit was designed and fabricated, and the installation instructions written and illustrated for the DIY owner/enthusiasts. The money saved should more than cover the cost of a decent lift AND a MIG welder (not that you need the lift for the installation__I did the first dozen or so laying on the floor__but they're so nice to have).

My apology to the OP, [/sidetrack]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast