Thread: Now what after my turbo e36 starts?

My Cars
    1996 m3

Now what after my turbo e36 starts?

It’s been a several year endeavor and my project car start and idles. Curious if there is any common protocol for first few miles. Before seeing what all these expensive parts do.

I’ve only started it and chased down some boost leaks. Has not even gotten up to full temp. Is there anything I need to do for near term maintenance schedule? Conflicting info on arp studs needing re torqued or not after first cycle / 500miles. Low boost tell for awhile or no boost?

This is just a gasket and spacer build with trm tune.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    M3 w/Gt35r
    Monitor boost and AFRs and let her rip.

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by IR M5 View Post
    Monitor boost and AFRs and let her rip.

+1 OP I'm in the same boat as you just got my car drivable its a little too cold for me (northern va) so I'm gonna wait till it warms up a bit but as far as the retorque I was told after 500 miles of driving to do that so thats what I'm gonna do

My Cars
    1995 BMW 525i/5
    Quote Originally Posted by lisnowboarder View Post
    It’s been a several year endeavor and my project car start and idles. Curious if there is any common protocol for first few miles. Before seeing what all these expensive parts do.

I’ve only started it and chased down some boost leaks. Has not even gotten up to full temp. Is there anything I need to do for near term maintenance schedule? Conflicting info on arp studs needing re torqued or not after first cycle / 500miles. Low boost tell for awhile or no boost?

This is just a gasket and spacer build with trm tune.

Back out of the driveway, then give it the beans. If you haven't done any metalwork in the engine, you shouldn't need to flush anything. I retorqued my studs once after it had one heat cycle and once after a couple days of real driving.

Obviously keep an eye on AFRs when getting into boost to make sure all is working smoothly. Have fun!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    '95 E34 525i, M50B32 (S52 Crank, K1 Rods, JE 9.0:1 Pistons, S52 Cams, Cutring, Achilles Oil Pump Shaft & Sprocket), GTW3684R 0.82A/R, ZF320

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    I drive gently and locally after I do major work and progressively go harder. If something breaks, I want it to be as convenient as possible. Go home and get parts or tools to fix or a short tow. If something like an intercooler pipe blows off it might make a loud pop and the power will suddenly drop but you can drive home with a blow through HFM tune. Good luck and have fun.

My Cars
    1996 m3
    It was a glorious drive I had this afternoon. I moved it off the lift to a fresh spot of pavement to check for any leaks an it died. Seems to die after any throttle input higher than 2k. It’s exactly like a boost leak. Although I’ve checked before an did’t have anything I could hear. Idles smooth an no other issues I can or know to look for. I’ll tinker away.

My Cars
    1996 m3

Now what after my turbo e36 starts?

All fixed. Ended up being improperly timed engine. Throttle response improved and engine doesn’t die.

I did retorque head studs after a full engine warm up and they all needed tightening to spec. Wasn’t watching gauge but around an 1/8 of a turn was needed.

Last edited by lisnowboarder; 02-18-2019 at 12:51 AM.