Thread: What is it??

My Cars
    2002 Z3 3.0L roadster

What is it??

Just read an interesting classified post where the reader was describing the condition of his '02 Z3 M coupe and how well kept the vehicle had been. He used a term that I'm not familiar with saying he just had it black stone oil analyzed. Could someone please explain to me what this term is and the cost? TIA

My Cars
    2000 Z3M
    I assume they were referencing this... https://www.blackstone-labs.com/?ses...m0b45%29%29%2F

My Cars
    ‘02 BMW M Coupe
    My mechanic recommended that I send one in. Blackstone has a very comprehensive database on their end. They are able to tell the condition of your oil after it has been ran for a certain number of miles (they will recommend a sample mileage.) They have information on all different types of motors for all vehicles. Nice to have information like that.

My Cars
    2002 M Coupe
    ... and if you send them samples for every oil change they will keep a running analysis going and will warn you if something starts to change. Highly recommended.

Marty

My Cars
    2000 m roadster 2010 x3
    I thought this was primarily a S-54 issue due to rod bearing issues.

My Cars
    2002 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by z3forlife View Post
    I thought this was primarily a S-54 issue due to rod bearing issues.
    The ad you referenced was an S54 Coupe ........

Marty

I might add that I had analysis done for the last 60K miles on my car, then decided to change the bearings anyway when I hit 100K. My bearings were in excellent shape, and I could have left them in, so not all S54's have a problem.
    Last edited by MartyBtoo; 01-30-2019 at 12:58 PM. Reason: Added postscript

My Cars
    2000 m roadster 2010 x3
    Wasn’t my reference. OP shows a m54 in his profile.

My Cars
    2002 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by z3forlife View Post
    Wasn’t my reference. OP shows a m54 in his profile.
    Sorry about that, I should have said the OP referenced an ad for an 02 M Coupe.

Marty

My Cars
    2002 Z3 3.0L roadster
    Well another reason to be a member of this forum. I went to the web site another member directed me to, and found out that a free, yes free kit is available, the sample tested I think was around $28 and change. Would the members that had this done recommend this business as being pretty accurate??

My Cars
    2002 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Z3 freak View Post
    Well another reason to be a member of this forum. I went to the web site another member directed me to, and found out that a free, yes free kit is available, the sample tested I think was around $28 and change. Would the members that had this done recommend this business as being pretty accurate??
    They are very accurate, and give you general baseline, and once they have a history on your vehicle will give you details on changes in the oil content and makeup for your vehicle. A good idea, especially for S54's.

Marty

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Oil analysis has been an industry standard since before my career started__and I'm retired.

Unless particularly bad, a single oil analysis is not of much use; the goal is to develop a trend from samples taken over time, and as Marty says, will alert the operator of an impending problem before it becomes catastrophic. The maintenance departments keep a running tally on every piece of equipment that uses (any type) a lubrication oil and often times, does analysis for the coolants too. The minimal costs for the tests are nothing compared to equipment downtime and replacement (loss of production can exceed = $,$$$,$$$.$$).

Use in the private sector didn't begin until the 1980s (I've been doing all of my cars since 1985) and didn't really gain traction until the 2000s, coinciding with message boards and like-minded enthusiasts.

Whether you own an S54 or not, I maintain that tracking oil analysis is a good idea, and cannot help but to lend confidence to a buyer when you present the records should you ever be foolish enough to sell your car...