Thread: Wire Harness Thinning

My Cars
    '01 3.0 ZCoupe

Wire Harness Thinning

So I have to get this finished up pretty soon. I have the majority of the chassis harness done, but have run into some questions with the instrument cluster harness. I started out thinking it would all just go, since we will be running a dash. but the first three wires I pulled were for the speed sensor in the diff, and the fuel gauge wires. I am pretty sure these will just be wired to the dash (I hope) but I thought I would ask before diving back in, does anyone have any watch outs for this part of the harness? Like, definitely don't eliminate this wire, you will need it?

My Cars
    '86 325e, '14 VW EPA
    Verify in the wiring manual how your alternator is wired. Some BMWs have the exciter wire going to the cluster (used to trigger the alternator bulb to show it's dead). If you remove it, your alternator won't be working. Also, make sure your dash is sufficiently flexible to show fuel level. Many aren't, that's why I went with the AEM CD7.

IMG_6907.jpg

My Cars
    01 330Ci
    I can’t say for sure “don’t” or “do” eliminate what wires, but I’ve eliminated my factory cluster completely and I’ve discovered that a lot of the wires going to the dash came from the light module. Seems that many of them originate in circuits that send warning signals to the light module which then activates warning lights (or other indicators) on the dash. I don’t recall coming across any wires that would disable the vehicle if removed, but I’m doing a complete engine swap so I wasn’t really concerned so may have overlooked something.

My Cars
    95 M3, 01 330ci
    There is a guy on the SpecE46 Facebook Page that offers a wire thinning service as well as offers a lot of solid advice about the DOs and Don'ts of thinning the e46 based chassis. He also does e36 cars from my understanding. So that could be of some value to you.

My Cars
    '01 3.0 ZCoupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Pzary3233 View Post
    There is a guy on the SpecE46 Facebook Page that offers a wire thinning service as well as offers a lot of solid advice about the DOs and Don'ts of thinning the e46 based chassis. He also does e36 cars from my understanding. So that could be of some value to you.
    I have actually messaged Kevin several times, and he has always given me advice/helped when asked. I just didn't want to bother the poor guy again. FYI-if anyone is thinking about doing this, and is nervous, definitely give Kevin a call. Price is very reasonable, and he REALLY knows his stuff. He can be found on the Spec E46 facebook page, or the Spec E46 forum. Great guy, and I owe him some beers.

I got this part taken care of last night. On my car, there wasn't anything other than the fuel level and speed sensor wires that needed saving that I could tell. I did keep the yellow/Brown twisted data wires, since AIM uses those for an input, but I eliminated everything else. It really was a bunch of warning lights, and other miscellaneous junk. Also deleted the EWS wiring. I am almost there. Have a few relays to get rid of, and cleaning up some loose ends.

Thanks for the help fellas. Much appreciated.