Thread: New Member....2000 z3 2.8

My Cars
    2000 bmw z3 2.8

New Member....2000 z3 2.8

I just got my new to me red 2000 Z3 2.8l with 120k miles on it.

Because of some things going on with me, I could not get an official PPI...but I was able to find out things that the previous owner did.
    I am the cars 3rd owner. Original owner traded it in in 2013 and a salesman at the dealership bought it and has had it since.

He replaced the rear bushings in 2013
    replaced speakers in 2013

In Feb 2015 He replaced the cooling system. Pump, Thermostat, radiator, belts and pulley.
    Feb 15 replaced the Vanos oil line
    Replaced the PCV valve kit in 2015 (although he didnt do an amazing job, because there is one line that should clip onto the PVC and its in position, but not clipped on, and the manifold is now in the way.)

New tires and spark plugs in 2016

2017 new brakes and rotors
    new rear window
    new valve cover gasket
    Camshaft sensors
    and belts

January "replaced 2 boot coils"

NOWWWWW........He doesnt have a lot of records to prove much of this...except that it was obvious some things like the radiator etc are not original. lol.
    That said...I do have an appointment on Thursday to have a full inspection done at an indie shop to see what the REAL condition of everything is. hahaha
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    2000 Z3
    I don't see many 2000 2.8 around here. Looks to be in nice cosmetic condition. Welcome aboard.

Stubbornness is a virtue....

My Cars
    2000 bmw z3 2.8
    Quote Originally Posted by blkwpnz View Post
    I don't see many 2000 2.8 around here. Looks to be in nice cosmetic condition. Welcome aboard.
    Is that good or bad? LOL.

My Cars
    MRoadster,Tacoma,DR650
    Looks very nice in your pic. Welcome and enjoy!

My Cars
    4 BMWs.
    Very nice, and welcome.
    2001 Z3 3.0i -Oxford Green/Sandbeige
    2016 428xi -Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 430iC- Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 330it - Melbourne Red/Venetian Beige/Black

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.3
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcompton1973 View Post
    I just got my new to me red 2000 Z3 2.8l with 120k miles on it.

Because of some things going on with me, I could not get an official PPI...

I am the cars 3rd owner.

...He doesnt have a lot of records to prove much of this...except that it was obvious some things like the radiator etc are not original. lol.
    That said...I do have an appointment on Thursday to have a full inspection done at an indie shop to see what the REAL condition of everything is. hahaha
    Best of luck with your gamble on doing the in-depth PPI after the second P already happened :o

I'm not criticizing, I've been there and with my own 2000 Z3, as a matter of fact. I'm sincerely wishing you luck.

Just saying, be prepared for surprises. Especially where "the guy installed non OEM parts himself" are concerned.

My Cars
    2002 Z3 3.0L roadster
    Would be nice to have the Car Facts on the purchase of any used vehicle. I bought my 2nd. Z3 last year, a 2002 3.0L without much info from the PO. I just dove into without any base to go from I just started to do all the maintenance as if it was all due then. You got a lot of info, should give you piece of mind. BTW......welcome to the forum

My Cars
    2002 M Coupe
    CarFax is only as accurate as the info that is fed to it. I pulled the CarFax for my car, and was surprised that it shows no accidents, as it has been in two since I bought it! Once my fault, the other I was rearended.

Marty

My Cars
    1997 Z3 Roadster 1.9L
    Yes. Don’t rely on Carfax completely. While shopping for my Z3, I looked at one at a used car dealer that had a clean Carfax report and then found an invoice from a body shop for $3,000 in repairs in the glove box.

My Cars
    2K Z3 2.8
    Quote Originally Posted by Z3 freak View Post
    Would be nice to have the Car Facts on the purchase of any used vehicle. I bought my 2nd. Z3 last year, a 2002 3.0L without much info from the PO. I just dove into without any base to go from I just started to do all the maintenance as if it was all due then. You got a lot of info, should give you piece of mind. BTW......welcome to the forum
    Pretty much what I did.....

I ran a CarFax and an AutoCheck and they were both clean.
    Checked for signs of body repair, found only a resprayed front bumper which I thought was fine.
    Checked for all the "typical Z3 problems" and found a bunch of them.
    Drove it, listened to it and stared at it for a while.
    Had a good feeling.
    Bought it.

Ordered a ton of stuff and just did all the maintenance on day 1 of my ownership. Rear diff. fluid, gear oil, oil, filters yadda yadda yadda.
    Now I'm fixing all the "typical Z3 problems".

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Truckeeskibum View Post
    Yes. Don’t rely on Carfax completely. While shopping for my Z3, I looked at one at a used car dealer that had a clean Carfax report and then found an invoice from a body shop for $3,000 in repairs in the glove box.
    Yes. This.

CarFax basically works the same as Facebook. It gives you what's fed into it.

I bought a car a few years ago and they insisted I take a copy of the "clean carfax" with me when I left.
    Once I sold it a few years later, it now had the accident reported on there. It took years.

The Golf I drive now has a squeaky clean record, but the dealer actually tried to make me sign a copy of the Carfax when I bough it!
    Zed's dead baby. Zed's dead.

My Cars
    MRoadster,Tacoma,DR650
    From what I’ve seen, Carfax shows all scheduled dealer maintenance activity. My recently purchased roadster came with an Autocheck report. This gave it a clean report pertaining to accidents, thefts, etc, but nothing about routine scheduled service work. It was a one owner since new with only 20k miles, but not knowing if and when fluids were changed bothers me. This spring, I plan on doing all fluids, filters, etc to establish a known base line. It would be nice to know what might have already been addressed. Probably everything, but I don’t know that.
    Last edited by Tigershark48; 01-31-2019 at 03:42 PM.