Thread: Is a reliable used BMW under $5k a unicorn?

My Cars
    Aprilia Caponord

Is a reliable used BMW under $5k a unicorn?

I may be getting a new job where I'll need to drive to work instead of biking/taking the train. Currently I drive a 4th gen 4Runner V8 and ride an older Aprilia Caponord but am looking for another smaller car with a manual trans for fun factor and better gas mileage. And I don't want to spend more than $5k initially. I love BMWs since I've driven my parents bimmers in the past (1988 528e through 2016 325ix) and would really love to get a 3 or 5 series as a daily driver. The problem is I really have only about $5k to work with initially. Is it possible to find a used (1984-2004) 3 or 5 series that I won't regret buying a year later or an I looking for a unicorn? I can fix minor stuff myself but I'm not an expert mechanic and I don't have time to do major repairs myself. I don't want to be throwing a ton of cash away on repairs and don't want any more loans or leases. I know about looking for service history and having a pre purchase inspection by a BMW mechanic. Am I crazy or is there a bimmer in my future? Or should I focus on Miatas, Integra/RSXs, and MR2s? Thanks!

u can find one...itll be a stretch but they do exist.

Not sure if I like your list tho.....

how about say a ford focus for example, and there are many other safer bets for 5k used because as I said a good reliable bimmer for 5k is a stretch

My Cars
    2015 BMW 228i coupe
    A bimmer for $5k. Buy the local paper check with used car lots, not bimmer dealers. These are best two ways. But for $5k I would not hold the breath.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2001 330ci convertible
    Local paper? Used car lots? Naw, not my first choice. Maybe my last choice. I found my 01 330ci on Carguru.com. Best way to go for any car purchase in my opinion. They provide alot of info on each car and seller ratings. Also how long the car has been for sale, title info, etc. Since you're in the U.S. you should have no problems using the site.

For $5k my 01 had 77k mi. on the clock, had been serviced completely, new tires, and came with prior owners service records. Everything works as it should and it had a 3 mo. 3k mi. warranty. Shipping cost was split between myself and the dealer. It was the second car I've purchased online. The first was a 93 Mitsubishi 3000gt VR4. The prior owner, a school district in Dallas, TX. had it on ebay.
    Last edited by kaz330ci; 01-29-2019 at 12:35 AM.

My Cars
    There's nothing worse than a cheap BMW. Unless you have the time and ability, and funds, to keep it on the road.

Maybe buy a 3-4k E34 or E36, and then keep 1-2k aside for an emergency repair fund.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Older, well used, inexpensive BMW can be great for DIYers and not great for those who pay shop labor.

My Cars
    98 M3
    What sort of money are you expecting to spend on ownership after the purchase?
    Can you buy a $4k BMW and have it be reliable with routine maintenance? Absolutely.
    Can you buy a $4k BMW and just drive it for 2 years without replacing wear and tear items? Absolutely not.
    You cant do that with a $50k BMW either.

- 98 m3, techno/anthrazit cloth, 124k and officially worthless - 89 m3, alpine/black 143k and officially old - 2000 323it, tiag/grey, 169k and officially boring

My Cars
    '88 735i, '06 RSX
    Find yourself a RSX or gen 6 celica gt, I wouldn't entertain a BMW for your needs.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    They are out there but hard to find. Since you don't have the skills to fix one you probably won't have the skills to tell a good one from a bad one so spend some of your $$ on a pre-purchase inspection by someone that SPECIALIZES in BMWs.
    The suggestion above to spend $3-4k on the car and have something in reserve seems a good idea. With an old BMW you'll need it.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    VW TDI and Dodge Dart
    Quote Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
    Older, well used, inexpensive BMW can be great for DIYers and not great for those who pay shop labor.
    This. If you set aside some money for breakdowns, get the car checked over thoroughly, and your idea of fixing minor stuff yourself would include putting in a new radiator, your goal is not unreasonable.
    Matt Cramer
    1997 BMW 328i convertible, 1972 Chevy C10 pickup, 1966 Dodge Dart slant six
    BMW - where "Why doesn't everybody build cars the way they do?" meets "Why can't they build a car the same way everyone else does it?"