Thread: Where is this Manifesto I hear about

My Cars
    2000 bmw z3 2.8

Where is this Manifesto I hear about

I have done a lot of searching...I can not find a link to a Manifesto.
    I thought I had a link...and then the forum keeps telling me that I dont have permission for that.

Thank you.

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    It is kaput but its remnants are the FAQ sticky at the top of the Forum page.

My Cars
    z3
    I wouldnt say its kaput, it was literally just renamed. Still has the same info as before. Problem now is after photobucket died, a lot of threads with pictures no longer have pictures and thats out of our control

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    I wouldnt say its kaput, it was literally just renamed. Still has the same info as before. Problem now is after photobucket died, a lot of threads with pictures no longer have pictures and thats out of our control

Not true. Much information was removed. Worse, the attribution was changed from the author to the "editor". I consider that theft.

/.randy

My Cars
    z3
    I was not part of the moderator team when that happened. I am sorry you feel that way, I do not think the situation was handled the best it could have been and I still wish Ben was around. But it happened and at least while I have been a moderator I can vouch that no information has been lost from what is now posted as the Z3 FAQ.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

Terry F. is offline ONLY BMW Content is + Moderator
    My Cars
    M-Roadster
    OP, the Manifesto was but an elaborate search document. It was one reader's collection of searchable links within the forum. It was massive. It was somewhat self-serving as it had links too many threads that were more of a personal nature highlighting reader cars and other pointless items. The problem, it was so large, it took forever to load on mobile. I proposed and went about paring down the document and was met with resistance by the author. Perhaps the author was not used to corporate decisions and policy where others have a voice too, in the work you do. Never worked in a large company, I don't know. The document had to be trimmed. If you want to "sticky" a document, it requires extra scrutiny. That author would not allow it. It got ugly, couldn't believe it, over petty crap. It was his choice to leave it though up as the current faq, we were fine with pulling it completely. I don't use it.

So he showed his true colors, cussed me out on FB, whatever. All because I wanted to trim a massive link list. pffft.

Terry

Stuff. I got stuff.

My Cars
    2001 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry F. View Post
    OP, the Manifesto was but an elaborate search document. It was one reader's collection of searchable links within the forum. It was massive. It was somewhat self-serving as it had links too many threads that were more of a personal nature highlighting reader cars and other pointless items. The problem, it was so large, it took forever to load on mobile. I proposed and went about paring down the document and was met with resistance by the author. Perhaps the author was not used to corporate decisions and policy where others have a voice too, in the work you do. Never worked in a large company, I don't know. The document had to be trimmed. If you want to "sticky" a document, it requires extra scrutiny. That author would not allow it. It got ugly, couldn't believe it, over petty crap. It was his choice to leave it though up as the current faq, we were fine with pulling it completely. I don't use it.

So he showed his true colors, cussed me out on FB, whatever. All because I wanted to trim a massive link list. pffft.

Terry
    Because of you he probably sold his z and got him self 911... LOL

My Cars
    2001 Z3 3.0 Coupe
    Are the posts that are put up on this forum viewed as being comparable to work contributed by employees to a corporation?
    2001 Z3 3.0 Coupe--Sterling Gray/Sunroof Delete/5MT

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by kornfeld View Post
    Are the posts that are put up on this forum viewed as being comparable to work contributed by employees to a corporation?
    Well, I'm guessing that when we all created user profiles and accounts here we agreed to terms of use just like we do with absolutely everything else (and especially with our #$&*@$ phones every time they update). I'm guessing those terms of use say essentially three things: 1) Bimmerforums owns 100% of the threads, posts, and user data, and we retain 0%; 2) Bimmerforums can do anything it likes with its threads, posts, and user data; and 3) Bimmerforums can change the terms and conditions to say anything it wants without notice and retroactively. I think we all instinctively understand that this is what all of the terms and conditions we always click OK to say, and that we can always opt out by not using the service or device. I think we all are ok with this arrangement with Bimmerforums, so long as we don't have to pay to use the forum. In this way we are less analogous to the employees of a corporation than to to its customers, but I think Terry's point is that a thread here is a collaborative work put together by a team; a thread that aggregates other threads by using links is metacollaborative; and that all this takes place within a structured hierarchy subject to review, edit, and approval by higher ups. Further, I think he is saying that those of us who regularly work within this type of structured hierarchy understand how to do so without much issue (play nice together), but that we also encounter independent contractor content providers who do not (primadonnas), with whom it is difficult to work because of that, and that in his opinion the OP of the Manifesto who shall remain nameless was one of those.

Terry F. is offline ONLY BMW Content is + Moderator
    My Cars
    M-Roadster
    Once a post is moved to Sticky status, extra scrutiny might be required. We retain the right to edit everything, but those are extra obvious when they receive so many hits. I had worked on a lot of the stickied links, cleaning them up, removing dead links, etc. Next up was this and then all hell breaks loose, for what? Nothing, doing my jerb. Can't be bothered with petty crap.

The original author is still not banned in spite on his poor behavior on this matter. If he changed cars over this, well, that is sad that he would be that upset over this incident. Petty.

My Cars
    2001 Z3 Roadster 2.5 M54
    Without the manifesto, or perhaps more accurately the FAQ, I probably wouldn't have attempted the sub-frame bushing replacement. Most of my research seemed to indicate removing the exhaust system and drive shaft in order to lower the sub-frame, until I found the tread titled "Clint's IE Install Tips". Clint's description of the work seemed like the job would be a lot easier than I thought and didn't include removing the exhaust or drive shaft. I mostly followed his tips and successfully changed out the original sub-frame bushings with IE bushings and the job turned out to be not as difficult as I had first imagined. I did have to loosen the brake line clamps on the trailing arms to allow for a little more movement, but I didn't have to remove the calipers.

So, thanks to everyone who worked to maintain the FAQ. It has always been a big help to me when looking for tips and answers regarding these cars.

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3 M Roadster
    Well said, I just changed mine out also following the same description. Then the qiubo, stainless clutch line, fan delete,
    water pump and thermostat housing. Thanks to everyone for their input. Wouldn't have attempted otherwise.

My Cars
    E36M3/E46M3/E39M5/E63M6
    Photobucket hotlink fix for Chrome, search for other browsers:
    https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...bifiaedg?hl=en
    E36/8 2000 M Coupe Cosmos Black/Black
    Shark, Conforti CAI, B&B Exhaust, H&R, Bilstein, AKG Subframe/Diff, UUC TME Red/Caps, Swapped Front Hats, Ice>Link.
    ================================================== =======================

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by rkulman View Post
    Well said, I just changed mine out also following the same description. Then the qiubo, stainless clutch line, fan delete,
    water pump and thermostat housing. Thanks to everyone for their input. Wouldn't have attempted otherwise.
    Ok, you've been a member since September of 2017 and this is your first post? A man of few words indeed.