Thread: Moving this to Touring: SLS completely air-less/no pump noise.

My Cars
    2003 540it

Moving this to Touring: SLS completely air-less/no pump noise.

Did a completely rear suspension re-haul over the last 3 days and upon finishing, SLS isn't working. I bled out all the air in order to work under there. After re-tightening air hoses, I started the car up while still on the jack and nothing. (I didn't realize it wasn't inflating and actually lowered the car all the way now the bumper is dang near scraping the ground...jack was stuck under diff but i got it out somehow.

I've gotten some advice from the main forum because it was combined with a "car wont' turn over issue but that has been fixed" . Some on the main board have said check fuses, check to see if sensors were reattached correctly/cleaned, jack up car minimially to at least engage the system (someone said the sls won't pump if it's completely out of air), and none of that worked. Fuses are good, sensors are properly attached and I jacked up car to normal ride height and air pump didn't engage.

When I pulled out the fuse out the car did say "SLS inactive" and when put it back in, the air pump/compressor did make a noise though, and then it stopped . Super confused by that. If the pump wasn't working, shouldn't it tell give me an SLS error? At this point I do not think it's the airbags, (they were replaced 2 years ago, new) or hoses. If that's the case then at least I'd here the pump but hear air leaking.

I'm leaning towards ride height sensors (could both have gone bad at the same time?) and the air pump assembly...

unfortunately i can't even drive to the mechanic because the car is so low it's rubbing against the fenders. Is there a way to manually inflate the system at least?
    Last edited by Olly84; 01-27-2019 at 11:10 AM.
    2019 X3 M40i Glacier Silver
    -stock

2003 540iT Titanium Silver
    -Dinan Exhaust

2003 325i 5-speed Japanrot
    -BMW Performance Intake
    -Dinan exhaust

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    It's probably the compressor itself. I was having a similar issue after changing air bags and it was still sagging. One possible issue is a low battery, but more than likely it's the compressor itself. If it seizes up because of too much gunk/water/etc., It may try to work, but will stall out and quit.

I'm local and have a spare compressor I got from the salvage yard the other day from a X5 with SLS. It should work perfectly. You can try it if you want. Also, there is no truth to the compressor not working if the air is completely let out as I've done exactly that and it pumped right up.

-Paul
    2003 "M5" - Full M5 conversion, AMG C63S 6 piston front calipers, Porsche Panamera 4 piston rear calipers, GC Coilovers,
    Eibach ARBs, UUC Evo3/DSSR, Borla Exhaust w/Muffler Delete, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto, Bi-Xenons, e38 Style 37 M-Pars, e60 Hubs 530i 6-speed swap build thread
    2005 Range Rover 4.6is (M62TU Powered) - 4.6is Engine Swap from X5, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto
    2006 Porsche Cayman S - Soul Performance Competition Headers and Exhaust, H&R Coilovers, 718 Boxster Spyder wheels, Rennline 35mm rear spacers

My Cars
    2003 540it
    haha I went to LKQ today to look at an X5 they got recently and someone already got to the SLS compressor. Was it you?

I actually just ordered a new compressor from Aerosus, another member here offered to send me an extra of their's but I needed one fast cause i need the car for work. At least with Aerosus they can get it to me by thursday and i can send back if that's not it. Also have ride height sensors coming just in case which i can return as well if it turns out to be compressor.

I'm not the most mechanically inclined, spent a good part of the day with my dad on the phone asking him how to use a multimeter to check the sls electrical system. I think the culprit is either the pump or the sensors.

Btw, are you the guy that owns Fixels? I just liked your page your facebook and going to hit you up for a repair later this year.

Quote Originally Posted by blackknight530i View Post
    It's probably the compressor itself. I was having a similar issue after changing air bags and it was still sagging. One possible issue is a low battery, but more than likely it's the compressor itself. If it seizes up because of too much gunk/water/etc., It may try to work, but will stall out and quit.

I'm local and have a spare compressor I got from the salvage yard the other day from a X5 with SLS. It should work perfectly. You can try it if you want. Also, there is no truth to the compressor not working if the air is completely let out as I've done exactly that and it pumped right up.
    2019 X3 M40i Glacier Silver
    -stock

2003 540iT Titanium Silver
    -Dinan Exhaust

2003 325i 5-speed Japanrot
    -BMW Performance Intake
    -Dinan exhaust

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540iT/6
    Quote Originally Posted by Olly84 View Post
    haha I went to LKQ today to look at an X5 they got recently and someone already got to the SLS compressor. Was it you?

I actually just ordered a new compressor from Aerosus, another member here offered to send me an extra of their's but I needed one fast cause i need the car for work. At least with Aerosus they can get it to me by thursday and i can send back if that's not it. Also have ride height sensors coming just in case which i can return as well if it turns out to be compressor.

I'm not the most mechanically inclined, spent a good part of the day with my dad on the phone asking him how to use a multimeter to check the sls electrical system. I think the culprit is either the pump or the sensors.

Btw, are you the guy that owns Fixels? I just liked your page your facebook and going to hit you up for a repair later this year.
    He is the same. Just ordered up an M5 cluster best of luck on your SLS!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Quote Originally Posted by Olly84 View Post

Yeah, I picked up 2 compressors at LKQ the other day and used one on my 540it. The other one is the one I was offering to you.

Yep, I am Fixels (see my sig pic).

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

-Paul
    2003 "M5" - Full M5 conversion, AMG C63S 6 piston front calipers, Porsche Panamera 4 piston rear calipers, GC Coilovers,
    Eibach ARBs, UUC Evo3/DSSR, Borla Exhaust w/Muffler Delete, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto, Bi-Xenons, e38 Style 37 M-Pars, e60 Hubs 530i 6-speed swap build thread
    2005 Range Rover 4.6is (M62TU Powered) - 4.6is Engine Swap from X5, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto
    2006 Porsche Cayman S - Soul Performance Competition Headers and Exhaust, H&R Coilovers, 718 Boxster Spyder wheels, Rennline 35mm rear spacers