Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help...on CA/ball joint job. Air springs won't refill, jack is stuck

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyzabolotny View Post
    The sensors would throw error codes in INPA if they were bad. Now what may have happened is the sensor arms went backwards which would give the SLS a ridiculous reading. So as a last ditch effort, I would try to get the rear of the car up by any means possible— get creative!
    Ollyollyoxenfree - I want you to reconsider this right here ^^^^

I'm not sure danny's "went backwards" properly conveys the sitcheashun. Let me try another descript...

The arms on the sensors will inadvertantly flip 180 past vertical and "look fine" to any casual observer, because they will rotate in that direction too. This causes EXACTLY this symptom, a mystery no-pump, although it you try to drive on it (with car on the bump stops) it will give you an "SLS INACTIVE" as it detects something wrong. But it won't throw that code right away while sitting static. To be clear, this isn't a "installed sensor backwards" its a "properly installed sensor but the arm flipped past 180".

The sensor arm should point to the OUTSIDE of the car (wheel) not the inside. Can you confirm both your sensor arms are pointing OUTWARDS towards the wheel when the car is being lowered?

I had a shop give me the car back with them in wrong because its not that obvious that they are in the wrong orientation. I have a good suspicion a lot of "derp derp my SLS failed when I went to have the bags replaced and my corner-not-BMW-mechanic said I have to replace all the pumps and modules for $90000!!!!!!" stories might be from dumbkopfs making this mistake and then crappy shops replacing perfectly good parts.
    Last edited by geargrinder; 01-29-2019 at 08:42 AM.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    2003 540it
    Geargrinder. If I go outside later and see my sensors are indeed bent towards inside of car and I fix it and everything starts to work again...I will fly to you and buy you dinner lol.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540iT/6
    Quote Originally Posted by Olly84 View Post
    Geargrinder. If I go outside later and see my sensors are indeed bent towards inside of car and I fix it and everything starts to work again...I will fly to you and buy you dinner lol.
    I’ll pick you up at BOS and drive you up to the North Shore!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    528i, 525iT, M5
    Wait... dinner and a trip? Sounds like you two are in the WRONG forum.
    Current Garage Highlights
    2003 525iT TiSilver
    2002 M5 TiSilver
    1998 528i KASCHMIRBEIGE METALLIC (301) (Goldie)

Former Garage Highlights
    2005 X5 4.8is
    2004 325iTs (2x)
    1973 Pantera L
    1971 Dodge Dart Swinger "Lite Package"
    1970 Dodge Challenger T/A 340 Six Pack Alpine White
    1970 Dodge Challenger T/A 340 Six Pack GoManGo Green
    1969 Road Runner 383
    1968 Barracuda Formula S 340 Sea Foam Green

My Cars
    2003 540it
    well son a gun...I just peaked through the wheels and the sensor arms are indeed pointed towards the inside of the car, not outside. Both sides. It's getting too dark and cold to be outside fixing it..but if this works tomorrow....lol.
    2019 X3 M40i Glacier Silver
    -stock

2003 540iT Titanium Silver
    -Dinan Exhaust

2003 325i 5-speed Japanrot
    -BMW Performance Intake
    -Dinan exhaust

My Cars
    528i, 525iT, M5
    Looks like dinner and a movie time.... Real sad.
    Current Garage Highlights
    2003 525iT TiSilver
    2002 M5 TiSilver
    1998 528i KASCHMIRBEIGE METALLIC (301) (Goldie)

Former Garage Highlights
    2005 X5 4.8is
    2004 325iTs (2x)
    1973 Pantera L
    1971 Dodge Dart Swinger "Lite Package"
    1970 Dodge Challenger T/A 340 Six Pack Alpine White
    1970 Dodge Challenger T/A 340 Six Pack GoManGo Green
    1969 Road Runner 383
    1968 Barracuda Formula S 340 Sea Foam Green

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540iT/6
    Quote Originally Posted by StephenVA View Post
    Looks like dinner and a movie time.... Real sad.
    Whooooooieeee doggie! Let us know when you’re flyin in!!!

My Cars
    98 540 6, SC'ed, 16psi
    I'm driving up for this one.
    98 540i 6, 525 whp, 120 mph 1/4, V3 Si S/C'er @16 psi, W/A I/C, Water/Meth, Supersprint Headers, HJS Cats, 3" Custom Exhaust, UUC Twin Disc, Wavetrac LSD, GC Coil Overs, Monoball TA, AEM FP, Aeromotive FPR, AEM Failsafe AFR/Boost, Style 65's w/275's, M5 Steering Box, Eibach Sways, M3 Shifter, Evans Coolant, 85 Deg Stat, PWM Fan, 10" Subs, B.A. speakers, Grom Aux/BT, Still Rolling as my DD!

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Quote Originally Posted by philly98540 View Post
    I'm driving up for this one.
    Hey Chris, the Scottie Ducati Uber is gonna be at the airport if you wanna carpool with Olly. Just coordinate your flight times. If you want to bring your bike, my bud and I just found a new trail network that is AMAZING... (might even have to post some pics after this.) Scottie can't play unfortunately, his offroad bike has a motor.

Now, lucky for you Olly I'm no fancypants type who's gonna soak you for an expensive formal meal at the local French haute cuisine joint...

We'll just head to one of the good ol' local places.

I'm thinking the downhome seafood joint without the liquor license, you'll save on the BYO too. Super fresh seafood straight off the boats, absolutely huge portions, good prices. We just have to have you stop at the packie on the way. I'll take craft brews, double-IPA's generally. Scottie likes brown liquor (hmmm, not be able to BYO that...) Chris can speak for hisself but IME, he likes any good tasty fresh craft beer thats well put together.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    OK philly, here's where we'll ride. Hopefully we either A. get a lot of snow first so the crash landings are really soft, or, B. it'll stay bare. The in-between ice + hard landings has been tricky lately.

2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    2003 540it
    GEARGRINDER GEARGRINDDDDDER YOU SON OF A BISCUIT.

Pointed the sensor arms out, gently...gently lowered the car, slowly...slowly...still not thinking that something so god damn simple would work...slowly lowering....::jack is creakingggg:: Differential is thinking, if that thing slams onto me one more time I'm gonna puke gear oil all over the floor...slowly creaking down...gettging past the point of no return...and then:

BRNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNn!NnNNnNNnnNNnnNNnNN! for 10 seconds.

I'm like oh crap! It's working! but then it stopped...and like, oh no did it seize?!

Slowly lower some more....creaking jack....

BRNNNNNNNnNNnPpNNNpNNNNNRNnNRNNnnNNRN for 30 seconds. Boom, car is back up to height.

Ok, I'm not one to back up on my word. I can't fly up but I'd love to buy you dinner via Paypal or Venmo. PM me your email and I'll send you a lil somethin'. You just saved me $365.00 and lots of uncertainty. I've searched countless threads about this problem and none of them stated the sensor arm orientation. I'm going to return the Aerosus pump and the sensors and save that purchase for hopefully many years down the line when the pump actually fails.

Now I can finally tighten them control arms, shocks, shoot off an onramp and enjoy a rear suspension how it rolled off the factory floor.
    2019 X3 M40i Glacier Silver
    -stock

2003 540iT Titanium Silver
    -Dinan Exhaust

2003 325i 5-speed Japanrot
    -BMW Performance Intake
    -Dinan exhaust

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540iT/6

Help...on CA/ball joint job. Air springs won't refill, jack is stuck

pfffft dude we drive down there for track days 2x per year. Get that pig fixed up and do the proper thing and road trip!!!!

Or an impromptu e39 wagon meet for something tasty in metro NY?

Or I’d that don’t work... I owe GG many, many beers. Rumor has it whiskey or bourbon isn’t scoffed at either. I’d happily add it to the pile for you, lord knows the wagon has room for it...

Last edited by scottieducati; 01-29-2019 at 07:20 PM.

My Cars
    2003 540it
    Yo I’m down for that. I come up to NYC once a year, we can totally meet up!!

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    LOL. AWESOME. Love it when a solution comes together.

I'd love to say a road trip was in MY cars but at the moments doesn't look like it... But an E39 hook up would be super fun. Who knows maybe I'll caravan along w/ Scottie come spring time when he goes on his murdercycle trip, I do got lots of buds in the NC zone to catch up with...?
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540iT/6
    Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post

I'd love to say a road trip was in MY cars but at the moments doesn't look like it... But an E39 hook up would be super fun. Who knows maybe I'll caravan along w/ Scottie come spring time when he goes on his murdercycle trip, I do got lots of buds in the NC zone to catch up with...?
    Well sadly I’m out for this year’s VIR trip in April. Should have a month old baby girl at home around then... down for a fun drive sometime after May/June though!

My Cars
    1995 525i/5
    Awesome, I'm glad you got it figured out! I had the sensor arm issue back when I had lowering links on my 540it... they made the sensor arms extra prone to flipping the wrong way after the car was jacked up. Eventually I went back to the factory sensor links and just used INPA to lower the rear, no more problems after that.
    1995 525i 5-speed - Thread

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyzabolotny View Post
    lowering links on my 540it... they made the sensor arms extra prone to flipping the wrong way after the car was jacked up.
    Good observation danny I agree. The shorties for obvious geometric reasons would flip easier.

It makes complete sense why that syndrome happens, the SLS system goes into "on a lift mode" when value of sensor reading exceeds some limit. Otherwise it would presumably just continue to try to deflate the airbags in an attempt to get the reading back to spec. It really works quite seamlessly most of the time, in that normally your bags stay nice and inflated while you're doing the lift work, set it down and they get topped off if needed etc.

FYI - with a coding tool you can also force "transport mode" and "assembly line mode" apparently, I've never done either but both are there to set the car up high for more clearance without messing with the calibration. Next time the computer is plugged in I might mess with that just to see what it looks like... if I remember... might be hysterical to see the car mega-raked with the C/O's down low in the front and the rear jacked up like some old timey hotrod.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    98 540 6, SC'ed, 16psi
    OK philly, here's where we'll ride. Hopefully we either A. get a lot of snow first so the crash landings are really soft, or, B. it'll stay bare. The in-between ice + hard landings has been tricky lately.

That looks awesome JC! I would def come your way to ride that! That one high bridge takes some commitment! Whats that place called? Reminds me of stuff I rode years ago at Whislter, BC. Trails called "A river runs through it" and "Gargamel". We also did a heli drop on top of a glacier on the peak across the valley. Brake rotors were purple and smoking after that. Quite the trip!

You nailed this troubleshoot for Ollie here! Nice one! Saved him some serious PIA efforts and $$. This is what makes this forum!
    98 540i 6, 525 whp, 120 mph 1/4, V3 Si S/C'er @16 psi, W/A I/C, Water/Meth, Supersprint Headers, HJS Cats, 3" Custom Exhaust, UUC Twin Disc, Wavetrac LSD, GC Coil Overs, Monoball TA, AEM FP, Aeromotive FPR, AEM Failsafe AFR/Boost, Style 65's w/275's, M5 Steering Box, Eibach Sways, M3 Shifter, Evans Coolant, 85 Deg Stat, PWM Fan, 10" Subs, B.A. speakers, Grom Aux/BT, Still Rolling as my DD!

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T

Hey man! You fookers make sure you clue me in on this road trip! Car or motersickle, lemme know, I’ll bring the bail money!
    Set the controls for the heart of the sun

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmrMeUpSnotty View Post
    Hey man! You fookers make sure you clue me in on this road trip! Car or motersickle, lemme know, I’ll bring the bail money!
    If your trippin to NC I'm there a few times a year. I'll bring my get out of jail free card.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540iT/6
    Quote Originally Posted by JimLev View Post
    If your trippin to NC I'm there a few times a year. I'll bring my get out of jail free card.
    Well sheyat.... there might be some momentum here. I go solely for motorcycle track riding at VIR and some dirt training in Salisbury, NC and have precious few contacts or venues in mind outside that realm... I dooo know some good roads on the way down though...

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    I've driven down to NC and back a number of times when I lived in MA.
    Only done the drive from NM once.
    I'd be flying unless maybe the '33 is finished.

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Y'all can come visit the Fixels World Headquarters!

-Paul
    2003 "M5" - Full M5 conversion, AMG C63S 6 piston front calipers, Porsche Panamera 4 piston rear calipers, GC Coilovers,
    Eibach ARBs, UUC Evo3/DSSR, Borla Exhaust w/Muffler Delete, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto, Bi-Xenons, e38 Style 37 M-Pars, e60 Hubs 530i 6-speed swap build thread
    2005 Range Rover 4.6is (M62TU Powered) - 4.6is Engine Swap from X5, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto
    2006 Porsche Cayman S - Soul Performance Competition Headers and Exhaust, H&R Coilovers, 718 Boxster Spyder wheels, Rennline 35mm rear spacers

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Quote Originally Posted by blackknight530i View Post
    Y'all can come visit the Fixels World Headquarters!
    DooD! We gotta go have more beers!!!
    Set the controls for the heart of the sun

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmrMeUpSnotty View Post
    DooD! We gotta go have more beers!!!
    Agreed!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

-Paul
    2003 "M5" - Full M5 conversion, AMG C63S 6 piston front calipers, Porsche Panamera 4 piston rear calipers, GC Coilovers,
    Eibach ARBs, UUC Evo3/DSSR, Borla Exhaust w/Muffler Delete, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto, Bi-Xenons, e38 Style 37 M-Pars, e60 Hubs 530i 6-speed swap build thread
    2005 Range Rover 4.6is (M62TU Powered) - 4.6is Engine Swap from X5, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto
    2006 Porsche Cayman S - Soul Performance Competition Headers and Exhaust, H&R Coilovers, 718 Boxster Spyder wheels, Rennline 35mm rear spacers

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast