Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diagnostic scanner/reset/tool for E38, E46, E53 ...

My Cars
    2001 740iL, 2001 325Ci

Diagnostic scanner/reset/tool for E38, E46, E53 ...

Hi folks,

Hoping to take a poll from people who've purchased a diagnostic tool and LIKE it. I know there are MANY and I believe I'm talking about an ...all-in-one type tool; one that has everything already in it, (though can update as needed), and is all I need to connect to my vehicle, diagnose issues/codes, and reset them. I've read previous posts from people, who seem far more sophisticated than me, running INPA or some other acronym on laptops, etc.

I just bought, and am now returning a Foxwell NT510. Seemed okay when I took it out of the box, but, quickly realized it was either limited in what I needed, or just plain didn't work as advertised. It could not detect the VIN on my '01 740il, (though it did successfully get it on my '03 X5), and after manually keying the VIN in multiple times and saving the vehicle information, it could not call it back up. Most frustratingly was that, while staring at the airbag light on my dashboard, it did not show that as a fault. However, when I did go into the list of ...issues/components, sure enough, there was the "airbag" yet when I selected it to erase it, the device now said it could not communicate with my car.

All that said, I'm hoping to buy something similar, (all in one), that connects via OBD-II, and ...functions logically and saves vehicle information. Does anyone have any useful recommendations?

I've read about the iCarsoft v1.0 as well as the v2.0 and am leaning toward the latter. As well, there was the Bavarian Technic basic, but, it seems limited - for $199 - to one VIN. I have 3 BMWs at the moment, so to buy 2 more VINs, even at a discount, seems steep.

Again, I know I could go out and pay $5,000 - $10,000 and get something ultra sophisticated, but, my hope is one of these all in one tools will do the job. I don't see me 'programming' any parts for the car, I don't believe I'm going to want to check fuel injector pressure, or any other ...Level 2 or 3 type of repairs. Just want to diagnose Check Engine or Service Engine Soon or Airbag, or ...somewhat "run of the mill" errors that we all encounter in our regular operation(s). I know this may open up to a wide variety of interpretations, sorry if I do, but, hopefully my 'ask' is straightforward and some folks have good ideas to share. Thank you!

Jay
    '01 325Ci Convertible, 5-speed
    '01 740iL, Stahlblau with beige interior & 18" M-Pars, GROM bluetooth
    '03 X5 3.0 six cyl, Gray on gray

My Cars
    BLK 01 sp, 20 Trail Boss
    Most of the scan tools you buy are really useless in my opinion. I started with a Peake code reader which works fine but you are just so limited with what you can do with any of that type. The way to go is get a cheap PC laptop and get INPA or any of several different software available ( Progman, ncs expert, Etc. ) there is a guy here who sells already set up computers and that's way to go you can basically do anything a dealership or indie can do and INPA is easy to use ...the guys Bimmerforms handle is TRASPOTADO.
    Last edited by setconstr; 01-26-2019 at 08:05 PM.

My Cars
    740iL (E38 '01)
    Quote Originally Posted by jpilk99 View Post
    Hi folks,

Hoping to take a poll from people who've purchased a diagnostic tool and LIKE it. I know there are MANY and I believe I'm talking about an ...all-in-one type tool; one that has everything already in it, (though can update as needed), and is all I need to connect to my vehicle, diagnose issues/codes, and reset them. I've read previous posts from people, who seem far more sophisticated than me, running INPA or some other acronym on laptops, etc.

I just bought, and am now returning a Foxwell NT510. Seemed okay when I took it out of the box, but, quickly realized it was either limited in what I needed, or just plain didn't work as advertised. It could not detect the VIN on my '01 740il, (though it did successfully get it on my '03 X5), and after manually keying the VIN in multiple times and saving the vehicle information, it could not call it back up. Most frustratingly was that, while staring at the airbag light on my dashboard, it did not show that as a fault. However, when I did go into the list of ...issues/components, sure enough, there was the "airbag" yet when I selected it to erase it, the device now said it could not communicate with my car.

All that said, I'm hoping to buy something similar, (all in one), that connects via OBD-II, and ...functions logically and saves vehicle information. Does anyone have any useful recommendations?

I've read about the iCarsoft v1.0 as well as the v2.0 and am leaning toward the latter. As well, there was the Bavarian Technic basic, but, it seems limited - for $199 - to one VIN. I have 3 BMWs at the moment, so to buy 2 more VINs, even at a discount, seems steep.

Again, I know I could go out and pay $5,000 - $10,000 and get something ultra sophisticated, but, my hope is one of these all in one tools will do the job. I don't see me 'programming' any parts for the car, I don't believe I'm going to want to check fuel injector pressure, or any other ...Level 2 or 3 type of repairs. Just want to diagnose Check Engine or Service Engine Soon or Airbag, or ...somewhat "run of the mill" errors that we all encounter in our regular operation(s). I know this may open up to a wide variety of interpretations, sorry if I do, but, hopefully my 'ask' is straightforward and some folks have good ideas to share. Thank you!

Jay
    You have basically three good options:
    - INPA + cable on a laptop costs approx $50 (not counting laptop)
    - P.A. Soft BMW Scanner 1.4 requires special cable + laptop $20-$90 price varies a lot
    - iCarsoft i910 (doesnt require laptop) $65 on Ebay but getting hard to find it

I probably use the iCarsoft the most, just cause you dont need to fire up a laptop. It gives you proper BMW codes, can access all modules and goes beyond INPA on some diagnostic functions. It provides all diagnostics features of INPA, but missing most other functions. You can also use it on multiple BMWs or MINIs. The only thing I dont like about it that it's kind of slow when making the first connection to a module.
    Forget about anything that provides Peake codes only, they wont help you in most situations.
    Last edited by georgebest; 01-26-2019 at 07:50 PM.

My Cars
    2001 740iL, 2001 325Ci
    Quote Originally Posted by georgebest View Post
    You have basically three good options:
    - INPA + cable on a laptop costs approx $50 (not counting laptop)
    - P.A. Soft BMW Scanner 1.4 requires special cable + laptop $20-$90 price varies a lot
    - iCarsoft i910 (doesnt require laptop) $65 on Ebay but getting hard to find it

I probably use the iCarsoft the most, just cause you dont need to fire up a laptop. It gives you proper BMW codes, can access all modules and goes beyond INPA on some diagnostic functions. It provides all diagnostics features of INPA, but missing most other functions. You can also use it on multiple BMWs or MINIs. The only thing I dont like about it that it's kind of slow when making the first connection to a module.
    Forget about anything that provides Peake codes only, they wont help you in most situations.
    Thanks Georgebest.

Is it safe to assume that if the iCarsoft i910 is “good” then the iCarsoft BMII May be “better”? It looks newer with more capabilities?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    740iL (E38 '01)
    Thanks Georgebest.

Is it safe to assume that if the iCarsoft i910 is “good” then the iCarsoft BMII May be “better”? It looks newer with more capabilities?

I would assume so, but make sure it's compatible with E38. Maybe they solved the issue of the slow connect on that model. Also, it's important that you use the 20 pin round connector (with ODBII converter) in the engine bay and not the one in the cabin. The one in the cabin can access only two modules while the round connector can read all the 18(?) modules. For example you can't read the ABS module from the cabin.

My Cars
    2001 740iL, 2001 325Ci
    I would assume so, but make sure it's compatible with E38. Maybe they solved the issue of the slow connect on that model. Also, it's important that you use the 20 pin round connector (with ODBII converter) in the engine bay and not the one in the cabin. The one in the cabin can access only two modules while the round connector can read all the 18(?) modules. For example you can't read the ABS module from the cabin.
    Thanks again!!

My Cars
    '01 740i, '99 528iT
    Bavarian Technic basic,...for $199...
    I bought -- and returned -- the Bavarian Technic system. It has a user-friendly interface, which I liked, but unfortunately was not able to read all the modules in my cars (I have 2 BMWs). And as you know, the licensing is limited unless you buy the "pro" version.

I probably use the [iCarsoft i910] the most...It gives you proper BMW codes, can access all modules....
    I'm leaning towards this unit as well. However, I need a scanner that also reads I/M status codes (are the various emission systems ready?) and Check Engine signal status. This allows me to inspect a BMW for purchase knowing that the dealer didn't just reset the codes for my test drive. Otherwise I would have to buy a generic pocket scanner from AutoZone ($75) in addition to the iCarSoft unit. Can you confirm the i910 can do this?

If not, I think the iCarsoft BMII offers this capability and may be a better choice in this case.

Frankie
    Texas, USA
    frankies-bmw.com

My Cars
    2001 740iL, 2001 325Ci
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
    I bought -- and returned -- the Bavarian Technic system. It has a user-friendly interface, which I liked, but unfortunately was not able to read all the modules in my cars (I have 2 BMWs). And as you know, the licensing is limited unless you buy the "pro" version.

I'm leaning towards this unit as well. However, I need a scanner that also reads I/M status codes (are the various emission systems ready?) and Check Engine signal status. This allows me to inspect a BMW for purchase knowing that the dealer didn't just reset the codes for my test drive. Otherwise I would have to buy a generic pocket scanner from AutoZone ($75) in addition to the iCarSoft unit. Can you confirm the i910 can do this?

If not, I think the iCarsoft BMII offers this capability and may be a better choice in this case.
    Hi Frankie, I don't know if the iCarSoft i910 can do what you referred to; (what does I/M mean?). I'm waiting for my ebay refund on the Foxwell before I buy my next scanner.

My Cars
    740iL (E38 '01)

Frankie,

I havent seen an option for Check Engine light status. Wouldnt be reading DME codes better? If no DME errors you wouldnt get a checklight anyway.
    You are right about the issue of a dealer just erasing codes, I dont know how to check that. I dont see any trace of erased codes anywhere.

My Cars
    '01 740i, '99 528iT
    ...what does I/M mean?...
    Inspection/Monitor

If no DME errors you wouldnt get a checklight anyway....
    Guys, it's time to wise-up. This EPA-mandated stuff has been around since January 1, 1996 and many people are still clueless (even sales personnel, I've discovered).

Just because the Check Engine light is not illuminated does NOT mean there isn't a problem. Unscrupulous people can either clear codes or disable the "Chuck Engine" light. The EPA has gotten wise to this with the OBDII standard (previous OBDI standard ran thru 1995). That's why Inspection/Monitor systems and Check Engine light status indicators are now part of the standard.

The Inspection/Monitor system gathers emission data to determine, over time, whether a fault exists and reports this data for various car systems. The output will read "Ready" or "Not Ready" for each system. If "Not Ready", that system won't report since insufficient drive cycles have elapsed. If you don't know that, you're screwed.

BMW-specific codes merely supplement EPA codes for systems not mandated by US law. Cheap generic code readers (available at retail stores) will read EPA codes on any car including I/M and CE light status. Model-specific readers (ex: CarSoft) should read model-specific codes in addition to EPA codes. But not all do, apparently.

EPA codes and status indicators are not merely "nice to know". They're critical. With CE light status "ON" or systems "Not Ready", urban areas will automatically fail your car for inspection. I learned this the hard way. Until a few years ago, I used to consider the CE light just a nuisance...until I bought a BMW with a um, problem. In fact, it had so many problems that I couldn't resolve them affordably and was forced to junk it because of inspection failure.

I was fooled, and lost a lot of money.

This is the world we live in. Get used to it, because it's only getting worse.

Frankie
    Texas, USA
    frankies-bmw.com

My Cars
    2001 740i Sport
    And to add to what Frankie said, there are also codes that don't set a CEL. In some cases it's a minor issue that is felt to not be an emissions concern, so they don't trigger the light.

My Cars
    E38 M-Sport & Jaguar XK
    Man, looking at these on either Amazon or Ebay is mind-numbing. I can't tell what is real or copy.

My Cars
    '01 740i, '99 528iT
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedyE38 View Post
    Man, looking at these on either Amazon or Ebay is mind-numbing. I can't tell what is real or copy.
    Yes, it's quite confusing.

Based on my initial reading, I'm inclined to think the iCarsoft BMII would provide everything most BMW owners need (including I/M readiness -- doesn't say anything about CE status, but I assume it's there since it offers I/M read back). That's $140 + $20 round port adapter. As an added bonus, it claims to read all OBDII-compliant cars, not just BMWs. So...you'll get the benefits of a generic reader plus BMW/MINI-specific codes.

If you just want EPA codes, I doubt you can beat generic readers like Actron CP9125, available -- today -- at stores like AutoZone ($70). Although it reads only EPA codes, it works on ALL cars since 1996 and provides I/M readiness and CE light status.

Frankie
    Texas, USA
    frankies-bmw.com

My Cars
    2001 740iL, 2001 325Ci
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedyE38 View Post
    What did you mean by "I can't tell what is real or copy"?

After reading that, I went back into the purchase description on ebay for what I bought and am now worried I bought some "copy". It says it's an "iCarsoft Obd2 Scanner, Code Reader Car Diagnostic Tool BMM V2.0 for BMW/Mini,.: https://www.ebay.com/itm/iCarsoft-Ob...9oir:rk:1:pf:0

But there are also ones that look just like it that say "iCarsoft BM II OBD2 II For BMW MINI Diagnostic Scanner Tool SRS ABS ENGINE UK" : https://www.ebay.com/itm/iCarsoft-BM...CXhY:rk:3:pf:0

They look very similar, but, obviously different. I'm worried that the one I bought is a knock off - can someone confirm?

Thank you!

Jay

My Cars
    740iL (E38 '01)
    What did you mean by "I can't tell what is real or copy"?

After reading that, I went back into the purchase description on ebay for what I bought and am now worried I bought some "copy". It says it's an "iCarsoft Obd2 Scanner, Code Reader Car Diagnostic Tool BMM V2.0 for BMW/Mini,.: https://www.ebay.com/itm/iCarsoft-Ob...9oir:rk:1:pf:0

But there are also ones that look just like it that say "iCarsoft BM II OBD2 II For BMW MINI Diagnostic Scanner Tool SRS ABS ENGINE UK" : https://www.ebay.com/itm/iCarsoft-BM...CXhY:rk:3:pf:0

They look very similar, but, obviously different. I'm worried that the one I bought is a knock off - can someone confirm?

Thank you!

Jay
    Kind of unlikely anybody would copy the iCarSoft brand, it's not that well known and doesnt carry a premium price. So you probably bought the right tool (I'm not familiar with this exact model though). Good luck!

My Cars
    2001 740iL, 2001 325Ci
    Thank you!!

My Cars
    '01 740i, '99 528iT
    I'm still confused.

The link to the CarSoft ad in my post shows images for Mercedes while the title says it's for BMW. The seller responded to my inquiry and confirmed his listing was indeed for the BMW-specific reader (he didn't indicate he would correct the pictures though). Meanwhile, the pictures in jpilk99's two links are different (one has function keys left of the screen while the other does not) but both seem to be "for BMW". I thought one could be an older version but one says "BM II" and the other "BMM V2". Could the readers for England be that different?

jpilk99: When it arrives, please let us know what your CarSoft tool actually looks like. Any functional reviews would be great too.
    Last edited by Frankie; 02-07-2019 at 12:25 PM.

Frankie
    Texas, USA
    frankies-bmw.com

My Cars
    2001 740iL, 2001 325Ci
    I'm still confused.

The link to the CarSoft ad in my post shows images for Mercedes while the title says it's for BMW. The seller responded to my inquiry and confirmed his listing was indeed for the BMW-specific reader (he didn't indicate he would correct the pictures though). Meanwhile, the pictures in jpilk99's two links are different (one has function keys left of the screen while the other does not) but both seem to be "for BMW". I thought one could be an older version but one says "BM II" and the other "BMM V2". Could the readers for England be that different?

jpilk99: When it arrives, please let us know what your CarSoft tool actually looks like. Any functional reviews would be great too.
    Mine arrived last night, (the one with the two 'Function' keys, "F1" and "F2" on the upper left). Seems like a nice little product, although:

• As soon as I powered it up it said it needed an update, which took a little learning and download from the icarsoft site, but, everything went as it should.
    • More frustratingly - I brought it out to my 2001 BMW 740il, (which the E38 is listed on their site & product specs as supported), to turn off an airbag light (which my old Snap On MT2500 - rest your soul - would turn off when it occasionally came on) and IT WOULD NOT CONNECT! "Link error".

Disappointed, I remained calm and went in and started researching. Found nothing nothing on their site of web in general. Sent an email to icarsoft support and was refreshed to get a response within a few hours, however, THEY TOLD ME I NEEDED TO PURCHASE AN ADDITIONAL CABLE to connect to the 20-pin connector under the hood.
    The support person, (again, responsive), suggested my 740 was older, a 2000, and therefore that was the issue. He also said that it is stated on their site that I'd need this cable (I absolutely did not see this anywhere). I tried to explain my disappointment that, if an extra cable was needed, why didn't they have that noted RIGHT NEXT TO where they say that the "E38" is supported/covered. I've told them I wish to return it and surprised they don't just offer to send me the extra cable, gratis. I told them I have a 2001 and have not heard back.

Bottom line:

1. I believe if I get the 20-pin connector that it will probably connect. I ordered one on Amazon and will update this thread.
    2. I believe, even though you're right - there do appear to be 2 very similar "BM2" or BMM V2.0, but that the one I got is authentic "iCarsoft". When I did the software update it was from their site and the email address of the support person is "@icarsoft.us"

Never easy...

Jay

My Cars
    1986 535i, 2012 X5 50i
    There is a way to jump two pins on the 20-pin plug under the hood to get all modules read from the OBD port. I did it to my car and it works. Do a search for it here.
    Jimmy Moreno
    BMW CCA 115551
    1986 535i, Arctic Blue
    2012 X5 XDrive 501, Sparkling Bronze Metallic

My Cars
    740iL (E38 '01)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimoreno View Post
    There is a way to jump two pins on the 20-pin plug under the hood to get all modules read from the OBD port. I did it to my car and it works. Do a search for it here.
    As jimoreno says, there is a hack for that but if you ordered the 20pin it will as it should.

My Cars
    2001 740iL, 2001 325Ci
    I got the 20-pin adapter and must admit this iCarsoft BM2 seems quite good. Only done 1 or 2 passes through system diagnostics, but, it found that airbag issue and turned it off. It then came right back on, but, told me it was the 'occupancy sensor' so now I at least know how to attack the problem.

I got my tool on ebay for $145. Seems like an okay deal so far. Just remember to get the 20 pin - 16 pin adapter cable.

Thanks all.

Jay

My Cars
    '01 740i, '99 528iT
    Jay,

Could you confirm iCarSoft's ability to scan for I/M readiness and CE light status? Thanks!

Frankie
    Texas, USA
    frankies-bmw.com

My Cars
    2001 740iL, 2001 325Ci
    Jay,

Could you confirm iCarSoft's ability to scan for I/M readiness and CE light status? Thanks!
    I'm so sorry but I'm ... not smart enough to know how to answer that. How do I check? I know the CEL status works "well" - it detected my airbag light. Not sure how indepth it goes. I can send you a copy of the manual. Sorry Frankie, let me know how to find out if it does what you need.

I do like it though.

My Cars
    '01 740i, '99 528iT
    Could you post a link to an electronic copy of the manual? Or is it available in the seller's eBay ad?

I suppose I/M readiness would be either a menu option or display as a part of a complete system scan, perhaps at the bottom of the results or something...

Frankie
    Texas, USA
    frankies-bmw.com

My Cars
    2002 M5, 1996 corvette
    Quote Originally Posted by setconstr View Post
    Most of the scan tools you buy are really useless in my opinion. I started with a Peake code reader which works fine but you are just so limited with what you can do with any of that type. The way to go is get a cheap PC laptop and get INPA or any of several different software available ( Progman, ncs expert, Etc. ) there is a guy here who sells already set up computers and that's way to go you can basically do anything a dealership or indie can do and INPA is easy to use ...the guys Bimmerforms handle is TRASPOTADO.
    ^this

Username is actually "Trasportador", but from talking to him I don't think he hangs out here much anymore.

Search the atlanta craigslist for "INPA" and you will find him. Great seller by the way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast