Thread: Magnetic

My Cars
    2002 Z3 3.0L roadster

Magnetic

Getting ready to change out the fluids in the manual trans, and the differential for the upcoming spring and summer season. In my research, I noticed that emphasis was put on making sure that the owner replaced the drain plugs with the magnetic type. This insures that small metal particles don't find their way into the various gears causing premature wear on those parts, giving also peace of mind to the owners. I went on line and was disappointed when looking at the prices, and wondering how many owners spend that kind of money for added insurance. Have any club members noticed metal particles using these magnetic drain plugs, and were these standard items from the factory?? TIA

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    This should answer your question.

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...ic-Drain-Plugs

My Cars
    1997 Z3 2.8L
    Three years ago I bought a plug with a magnetic tip after I bought my Z3 because I thought might be a good idea for a 20 year old car, pick up some shavings.

Has been totally clean every time I change oil. Oh well.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    Quote Originally Posted by LimehouseBlues View Post
    Three years ago I bought a plug with a magnetic tip ... might be a good idea for a 20 year old car, pick up some shavings. Has been totally clean every time I change oil. Oh well.
    20 years of shavings -- no way. Unless you are grinding the gears for some reason, the most you might see is a light coating of black fuzz to wipe off.
    BMW MOA 696, BMW CCA 1405

My Cars
    MRoadster,Tacoma,DR650
    Something that’s glued on doesn’t belong inside a lubrication system.

Just another item in a long list of things to spend your money on. Like so many others, I’ve spent time looking for products that I might want to add on to my Z. Other than required replacement parts, this car needs practically nothing. But that doesn’t stop marketing for coming up with stuff and trying to convince us that we have to have it.