Thread: Can't remove steering coupler from the rack - 330xi

My Cars
    2004 330xi

Can't remove steering coupler from the rack - 330xi

I'm trying to change my steering coupler on my 2004 330xi. I can't seem to get the coupler off the rack. I have saturated with PB Blaster but it's not budging. I will let it sit overnight and hopefully get more penetration but I'm at a loss if it doesn't move tomorrow. I'm working from above and it is tight near the alternator but it looks pretty blind from below.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thank you.
    Cams

My Cars
    03M3 17M540 18A5SB

Torch or induction coil.

Quote Originally Posted by CapeCams View Post
    I'm trying to change my steering coupler on my 2004 330xi. I can't seem to get the coupler off the rack. I have saturated with PB Blaster but it's not budging. I will let it sit overnight and hopefully get more penetration but I'm at a loss if it doesn't move tomorrow. I'm working from above and it is tight near the alternator but it looks pretty blind from below.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thank you.
    Cams
    Have you tried google and YouTube?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kwJKBAsciGg

Put an asbestos or plumbers heat isolation pad below coupling. Pad is used to protect wood while sweating copper fittings. If you can get a wedger in the slot like the one used on BMW front shocks mount that might work too. I’m assuming you got the pinch bolt out.....

lastly, you’ll likely have to work from the bottom underneath the car to get the coupling off the bottom shaft. Consider reassembly with a bit of anti seize on the shafts....not the pinch bolts.
    Last edited by SloopJohnB; 01-25-2019 at 05:36 PM.

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Obviously you’ve remove the bolt that tightens the couple around the rack’s input shaft. Now put a chisel or a large flat blade screwdriver into the gap at the side of the coupler. Tap the chisel/screwdriver into the gap. That should loosen the coupler.

My Cars
    2004 330xi
    Thanks for the replies. Below is a photo of where I'm at. I can wedge a long heavy screwdriver on the top of the shaft and bang on it but so far it is not moving. I'm not sure what SloopJohnB means by using a plumbers pad and I'm unfamiliar with the shock mount wedger.

Any other ideas or should I just keep banging int that gap? I guess I could try to find a long heavy chisel but the screwdriver I'm using is quite large and I'm hitting it with a mason's mallet.

Thank you.
    Cams
    Last edited by MauiM3Mania; 01-26-2019 at 01:19 PM. Reason: removed image coding gibberish

MauiM3Mania is offline Observer/Master Skeptic Moderator
    My Cars
    88M3 99M3 04M3 ITBx16
    CapeCams, we had to edit your post and remove the image file code. It was quite large and not legible. :-)

One way to share photos with the forum is to load the images to an Photo Hosting Site, such as Flicker, Google Photos, 500px, etc. Avoid using Photo Bucket or ImgUr.

Once uploaded to a hosting site, copy the link (the http://hosting_site.com/your_pic.jpg) of your photo to your forum message.

Ask if you have questions!
    04M3 TiAg 69k slick-top 3 pedal
    99M3 Cosmos 61k S50B32 euro 6Spd

88M3 AW 43k miles Project FS

WTB: 3.5" Eurosport/Conforti CAI

My Cars
    98 328IS 03 325xi
    I haven't done this but the screwdriver or chisel is to spread the coupler, then use something else to drive the coupler off by pounding on the coupler itself.

Gave away my BMWs, driving a VW and an Audi now.

My Cars
    03M3 17M540 18A5SB

Did. U. Watch. The. Video?

Quote Originally Posted by CapeCams View Post
    Thanks for the replies. Below is a photo of where I'm at. I can wedge a long heavy screwdriver on the top of the shaft and bang on it but so far it is not moving. I'm not sure what SloopJohnB means by using a plumbers pad and I'm unfamiliar with the shock mount wedger.

Any other ideas or should I just keep banging int that gap? I guess I could try to find a long heavy chisel but the screwdriver I'm using is quite large and I'm hitting it with a mason's mallet.

Thank you.
    Cams

It it seemed quite educational.