Thread: 1982 633CSi Questions

My Cars
    1985 633CSi

1982 633CSi Questions

Hello all, thank you for allowing me to join the forum. I have been lurking here for awhile gathering info about a purchase I made recently and now have a couple of questions.

I purchased a complete 1982 633CSi White over Blue.
    The car only came with a bill of sale so I am trying to decide whether to go to the trouble of getting a title or parting it out.

The car was sitting for around 8 months so it will require some work to get it running. I put a battery in it today and the motor cranks over but has no spark.
    I will need to pull the tank and inspect/refurb it most likely and track down the spark issue just as a start. The interior is in very good condition.

I am leaning toward parting it out or selling it as a complete parts car. I am very interested in your experienced opinion.

I will post pics soon.

Thank you in advance.

Nuklhd
    Last edited by nuklhd; 01-26-2019 at 10:52 AM.

My Cars
    740 735 635 535 318is
    It's not possible to answer your question without more details on the condition of the car. How many miles, is the engine good (run a compression / leak down test), how much rust, paint condition, tires, manual/auto, brakes, ect.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1985 633CSi
    Hello, thank you for the response. I am going to try and get it running to check the engine out. It is a manual. No rust, paint is in good condition just needs a good restore. Body is in good condition, no dents. Tires most likely need replaced due to age. Wheels need a good cleaning. No idea on the brakes as it doesn't run right now.
    Seats and interior or in very good condition. Dash is in very good condition.
    I believe I am going to start to part it out as I am really not interested in going through the trouble of getting a title for it.
    Thanks again for your input.

Quote Originally Posted by Dschart View Post
    It's not possible to answer your question without more details on the condition of the car. How many miles, is the engine good (run a compression / leak down test), how much rust, paint condition, tires, manual/auto, brakes, ect.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

My Cars
    See Sig!
    Having brought one back from sitting over 6 years I can say that the process was fairly easy if you are experienced, patient and methodical...if you are not then I suggest you sell it as is and not even attempt to part it out either for two reasons. One, if you do not know the car very well, meaning that you are unfamiliar with E24's, you may be doing a dis-service to the BMW world by parting it out...meaning you may be killing a perfectly good candidate for restoration or even a driver for the sake of a few bucks...but then it is your property. Two, if you do attempt to repair it but get overwhelmed by the prospect once you're into it you will have a car on your hands that is no longer worth what it is now because it is in pieces...but like I said, it is your property.

Just my two cents...
    Tom
    Current Rides:
    1995 318i-Da Kid's Car Now!, Great Little Car "Pearl"
    1987 Porsche 944 "Liebchen"
    2002 Porsche Boxster "Sunbeam"
    2004 X3 "Xander"

Past Rides:
    Over 50 Years Worth..Way Too Many To List, But There Were Some Really Fun Ones!!!
    www.ttrs1.com

My Cars
    1985 633CSi
    Hello Tom, thank you for your experienced advice. I really do not have the time to do a resto on it and as said before don't want to go through the hassle of getting a title for it, a difficult process here in Texas.
    I will most likely start to part it out shortly as it is a complete car and I do see some potential to recoup my small investment and then some. Thanks again for the response.

Quote Originally Posted by TJC1 View Post
    Having brought one back from sitting over 6 years I can say that the process was fairly easy if you are experienced, patient and methodical...if you are not then I suggest you sell it as is and not even attempt to part it out either for two reasons. One, if you do not know the car very well, meaning that you are unfamiliar with E24's, you may be doing a dis-service to the BMW world by parting it out...meaning you may be killing a perfectly good candidate for restoration or even a driver for the sake of a few bucks...but then it is your property. Two, if you do attempt to repair it but get overwhelmed by the prospect once you're into it you will have a car on your hands that is no longer worth what it is now because it is in pieces...but like I said, it is your property.

Just my two cents...
    - - - Updated - - -

Also to clarify it is a 1982, I miss typed the title of the thread and not sure I can change it.
    Also the car has 269000 miles on it, to reply to an earlier question.
    Sorry for the confusion.

My Cars
    See Sig!
    Too bad you're going to part it but I guess I expected as much.
    Tom
    Current Rides:
    2004 X3 "Xander"

Past Rides:
    Over 50 Years Worth..Way Too Many To List, But There Were Some Really Fun Ones!!!
    www.ttrs1.com

My Cars
    1985 633CSi
    Not sure I understand your comment "I expected as much", I am not a BMW guy and never stated I was trying to restore it. I said I was trying to get it running simply as a way to decide whether to part it out or sell it whole.
    You seem offended that I would decide to part it out. Interesting I see from your signature you're parting out a 86 Porsche guess I expected as much.
    Maybe you would like to purchase it as it sits and restore it. Be happy to make you a great deal on it.
    Thanks again for your opinion.
    Too bad you're going to part it but I guess I expected as much.

My Cars
    See Sig!
    Quote Originally Posted by nuklhd View Post
    Not sure I understand your comment "I expected as much", I am not a BMW guy and never stated I was trying to restore it. I said I was trying to get it running simply as a way to decide whether to part it out or sell it whole.
    You seem offended that I would decide to part it out. Interesting I see from your signature you're parting out a 86 Porsche guess I expected as much.
    Maybe you would like to purchase it as it sits and restore it. Be happy to make you a great deal on it.
    Thanks again for your opinion.
    Not so much offended as disappointed with your decision to part it. My opinion and statement was based on the way you presented your post, your replies and my gut feeling which is confirmed by your admission that you're not a BMW guy...therefore my statement of "expected as much".
    I don't begrudge anyone for going to different forums to glean knowledge and opinions and one asks for opinions they must remember that opinions are what they are going to receive...and you have mine. This particular forum consists of mainly people who are, may I say, passionately devoted to the E24 series of BMW's, perhaps more than almost any other series enjoys, and if you have been "lurking for awhile" I would guess that you have comprehended that fact. So it goes without saying really that when one decides to part a car that could be saved some of us are disappointed by the owner's choice...it's actually a pretty simple concept.
    As for my parting my '86 951 the car was borderline restorable at a reasonable cost for a driver and after selling off most all of the "street" parts it went off to a new caretaker to spend the rest of it's life on the race tracks of the Midwest. I still have a few small bits left from it and that's why it remains in my sig.
    Also what you don't see in that sig is an E24...but I am on the prowl for another one as I miss my '80 Euro!
    As far as you offering it for sale whole please name your price and supply pertinent photos and history as you know it and I and perhaps some others may be interested in saving it. Thank you...
    Tom
    Current Rides:
    2004 X3 "Xander"

Past Rides:
    www.ttrs1.com

My Cars
    1985 633CSi
    Understood, I can see your point but I don't think I was misleading in my post or answers, but I accept your rationale.
    As I understand it I am not allowed to post photos until I have reached a certain amount of posts.
    As for the history, the car came to me in a repayment of money owed. I took this and a similar vintage 325 as partial payment.
    The gentleman had them in storage for many years and that's really as much as I know.
    The 633 has 269000 miles on it and is in fair condition showing wear in proportion with its age.
    Haven't seen any rust and the body panels look to be in good condition.
    The interior is in good condition, front seats are nice and the back show some minor wear. The dash has some thin cracks in a few places that I didn't see previously and is missing a few switches.
    This is a manual shift car. As I stated earlier the engine cranks but has no spark and I have gone no further.
    The front windows went up and down and some other electronics worked.
    That is really as far as I've gone on it.
    I've got $1200 in and am guessing I could do a little better than double that parting it out with just some of the easier stuff.
    I would most likely take $2800 for it as it sits. I have already pulled a few of the parts but still have them.
    Keep in mind all I have is a bill of sale no title.
    It is a White over Blue car.
    Hope this helps. Any other questions please ask.

Not so much offended as disappointed with your decision to part it. My opinion and statement was based on the way you presented your post, your replies and my gut feeling which is confirmed by your admission that you're not a BMW guy...therefore my statement of "expected as much".
    I don't begrudge anyone for going to different forums to glean knowledge and opinions and one asks for opinions they must remember that opinions are what they are going to receive...and you have mine. This particular forum consists of mainly people who are, may I say, passionately devoted to the E24 series of BMW's, perhaps more than almost any other series enjoys, and if you have been "lurking for awhile" I would guess that you have comprehended that fact. So it goes without saying really that when one decides to part a car that could be saved some of us are disappointed by the owner's choice...it's actually a pretty simple concept.
    As for my parting my '86 951 the car was borderline restorable at a reasonable cost for a driver and after selling off most all of the "street" parts it went off to a new caretaker to spend the rest of it's life on the race tracks of the Midwest. I still have a few small bits left from it and that's why it remains in my sig.
    Also what you don't see in that sig is an E24...but I am on the prowl for another one as I miss my '80 Euro!
    As far as you offering it for sale whole please name your price and supply pertinent photos and history as you know it and I and perhaps some others may be interested in saving it. Thank you...
    Last edited by nuklhd; 01-26-2019 at 07:12 PM.

My Cars
    See Sig!
    Thank you and I'll hold any further comments as perhaps others may want to chime in.
    Tom
    Current Rides:
    2004 X3 "Xander"

Past Rides:
    www.ttrs1.com

My Cars
    1982 628CSi
    I too would rather see this car find a good home to preserve the heritage of the old BMW's for everyone to enjoy. Parting it out will not make a lot of money.

Can you sell a car to a different state and getting a title easier that way? Or does it need to have a title to be able to sell at all? I have no idea how this works as I'm from The Netherlands. We have two titles, 1A is the car with a VIN and a licence plate (that can change if you export it), and 1B is the statement of posession. Both need to exist to be able to legally put the vehicle in traffic.

My Cars
    1985 633CSi
    You can sell any car with a bill of sale to anyone anywhere, the issue comes in when the buyer tries to get a title and register it for plates. The easiest way to do this is a bonded title which personally I'm unwilling to do.
    As for parting it out I don't have a lot into it and will easily get my money back and then some by parting it out.
    As I stated I would be willing to let it go for $2800.00 which from what I've seen is a fair price for a car in this condition.
    Thank you for your input.

Quote Originally Posted by Nullified View Post
    I too would rather see this car find a good home to preserve the heritage of the old BMW's for everyone to enjoy. Parting it out will not make a lot of money.

Can you sell a car to a different state and getting a title easier that way? Or does it need to have a title to be able to sell at all? I have no idea how this works as I'm from The Netherlands. We have two titles, 1A is the car with a VIN and a licence plate (that can change if you export it), and 1B is the statement of posession. Both need to exist to be able to legally put the vehicle in traffic.

My Cars
    '10 328xi T, 11 535xi
    no title needed in Maine due to the age( anything older than ,92 i think). you can register it with a bill of sale. this may be the case in other states as well

My Cars
    '86 635CSi, '08 128i
    I don't believe you have to be a citizen of Vermont to register a car, get a plate and a proof of ownership. Once you have that VT registration, you're able to take it to your DOT to have a title written up. It's commonly used for older motorcycles to get them legal again in stricter states. I've heard you can do the same with trailers in Wisconsin. Bypassing ridiculous regulations is just a side benefit.

Having said all that, here's my $0.02: I'd be having the same dilemma. Titles are a PITA in PA too, for no really good reason. Furthermore, I can attest personally that an '82 633 is just about the lowest rung on the E24 value scale. The motor really has no value given shipping costs, the Getrag 260/5 isn't a really durable gearbox, and the ECU & motor electronics of that particular year are not well documented.

Thanks for posting the car here, and thanks for your honesty. It's not the end of the world that a neglected car gets parted out. It'll help a lot of other enthusiasts to keep theirs on the road longer.
    Save the manuals!
    '08 128i 6MT, '86 635CSi 5MT (B32, Motronic 1.3, WBO2, G265, 18# FW, 3.46 torsen)
    Past projects:
    '96 318iS, sold 4/23 '90 535iM, RIP 1/23 '90 535iA RIP 6/22 '91 318i, sold 7/19 '97 M3 sedan, sold 11/18 '85 735i, RIP 2/18 '92 325iC, sold 7/16 '91 318iS, sold 6/16 '84 745i, sold 10/14 '82 633CSi, traded 9/12 '90 325i, RIP '87 325 sold '89 525i, traded '87 325iS, RIP