Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My Newish M3/4/5 Hellrot

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe
    Beautiful car! Did you sell the intake? or will you be selling it?

My Cars
    1998 Techno M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonGM3 View Post
    Looking for an aFe intake? I have one that has very little use for the stock 3 inch MAF. I moved to a larger 3.5 inch MAF so I had to replace it. Let's not hijack this thread further. PM me if interested.

My Cars
    E36
    Quote Originally Posted by Hova View Post
    Glad the new clutch pedal is to your liking. The plastic BMW chose to use in that location is so bad, it ovals and then bends out of shape over the years. The clutch pedal almost becomes a replacement item for these cars after a number of years.

Good call on the OE floor mats.
    Yea it took awhile to bleed using motiv tool but it seems better. At least no more leaky brake fluid on floor mat!

Quote Originally Posted by JasonGM3 View Post
    I sold the intake already. Currently running a debaffled stock airbox with k&n filter.
    Last edited by bmw328m52; 04-26-2019 at 08:00 AM.

My Cars
    E36
    Looking to get this thing inspected in the next couple of days. I've also been getting a shimmy in the steering wheel at 65-70 mph but I'm hoping a proper wheel balance is the culprit. Then its a full interior/exterior detail

My Cars
    E36
    It's been awhile and work has been kicking my ass. But I finally managed to work on the hellrot a little bit last weekend. It first started with safety inspection early Saturday morning. It's always stressful AF getting a used car inspected for the first time. Luckily it passed with flying colors.

Afterwards, I installed some depo headlights. I was so close to buying the euro bosch set and doing a retrofit, but I couldn't justify the cost with how much I'd actually be driving the car at night. Regardless, a good upgrade from plastic foggy lenses. During this time, I also removed the remaining exterior lights/trim pieces to clean all the dirt that was trapped behind.

I'm still getting a slight vibration from the rear so the wheels/tires will be getting balanced tomorrow. Hopefully I'll also have time to do a full clay bar/wax detail.

My Cars
    E36 M3 Vert, E39 M5
    Great work - When will you be up in NoVA again?

-chad.

My Cars
    2013 M3 Comp 6mt
    Looking good! I have been restoring mine for 6 years. Keep up the good work. These sedans are getting harder to find in good shape.
    ///MLOVE
    1993 325is (Jet Black) (sold)
    1995 M3 (Cosmos Schwartz Metallic) (sold)
    1987 325is (Jet Black) (sold)
    2001 M3 (Laguna Seca Blue) (sold)
    2004 X5 4.4 (Sapphire Black Metallic) (sold)
    1997 M3 Saloon (Cosmos Schwartz Metallic) (sold)
    2003 X5 3.0 (Steel Gray Metallic)
    2013 M3 Competition (Lemans Blue Metallic)

My Cars
    1 Blue, 1 White, 1 Black
    Headlights make such a difference on these cars.
    Past: '99 Hellrot/Dove M3 | '97 S14 1JZ | '06 Triumph Daytona 675 | '01 330I M-Tech I | '99 Silvia S15 | Current: '96 Estoril/Black M3

Instagram

My Cars
    E36
    Quote Originally Posted by ultamte View Post
    Great work - When will you be up in NoVA again?

-chad.
    Thanks! I won't be up there for another 2-3 weeks unfortunately. But will definitely let you know so we can catch up.

Quote Originally Posted by MLOVE View Post
    Looking good! I have been restoring mine for 6 years. Keep up the good work. These sedans are getting harder to find in good shape.
    Appreciate the kind words but you're right. I don't know if I consider this one in "good shape" but it's getting there slowly. A lot of things the previous owner did really annoyed me. But I'm glad the car is in much better hands.

Quote Originally Posted by DrftKingIII View Post
    Headlights make such a difference on these cars.
    Still one the best exterior mods to date.

Update - got the wheels/tires balanced. Unfortunately the rear passenger was bent/out of balance so the inside part of the tire was cupping. Vibration isn't as bad anymore but I'm going to throw on the spare to see if it goes away completely.

My Cars
    e39 M5 e39 540i6 e83 e53
    Nice work!
    Hellrot sedan M3s are by far the best e36s ever made

My Cars
    E36
    Spent a couple of hours wrenching on the m3 yesterday. The car needed rotors/pads bad so I called Bimmerworld for some technical advice. They recommended the BW blank rotors with stoptech sport pads. They are having a 21% promo on the pads but the discount is not showing up on their website so disregard the price. Best part is Bimmerworld is only 2 miles from my work .

I'll report back in the next couple of days on how the rotor/pad combo is holding up. I still need to properly bed the pads but the car feels better already with less vibration at highway speed.

My Cars
    E36
    After the brake job, I also replaced the entire hood locking mechanism. Opening the hood has ALWAYS been a nightmare so I eventually broke the hood release lever by the driver side door.

All installed parts were new and OEM.

My Cars
    E36
    Update - after replacement of the clutch master cylinder/brake job, the firmness of the pedal doesn't feel perfect like before. I've also been trying to diagnose an ABS/ASC light for some time. It'll come on during start up and then go away.

Everything from the brake pedal travel sensor to multimeter readings of the ASC module pinouts seem okay. I've even bled the system 2-3x with my girlfriend . I don't feel like throwing parts at it so it will be going to the local dealership...Will keep everyone posted!
    Last edited by bmw328m52; 08-09-2019 at 02:02 PM.

My Cars
    88 M5, 99 M3, 04 330xi
    Gorgeous car

My cars: '99 E36 M3/2/5 Titanium/Black 240k/mi - '88 E28 M5 Black/Tan 198k/mi
    GF car: '04 E46 330xi Steel Grey/Black 133k/mi
    Previous cars, recent last: '82 E28 528e - '86 E28 528e(is) - '94 E34 525i - '98 E38 740iL

My Cars
    E36
    Thank you! I took the car to BMW of Roanoke and they were unable to communicate with the ASC module using a diagnostic tool. But they recommended swapping out the ABS/ASC relays under the hood to rule out as a possible issue. I have several of these laying around so I'll try that for now...

I still asked them to do a brake flush with oem fluid and it's 100x better! I guess there was still air in the system....Walked around the dealership and this was the only new M car there at $100k+.

My Cars
    E36
    Decided to tackle another small project since my girlfriend had to go into work today. The rear decklid was clapped and the purple was driving me nuts. It looks like most people have good luck using the duplicolor fabric paint so I decided to go that route instead of reupholstering. Not bad for $10...

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

My Cars
    98 M3/4, 02 525
    Thank you lord you save another E36 from become another FAST & Furious 15 !!!!
    Where are you hurting?

My Cars
    98 BMW sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by bmw328m52 View Post
    Decided to tackle another small project since my girlfriend had to go into work today. The rear decklid was clapped and the purple was driving me nuts. It looks like most people have good luck using the duplicolor fabric paint so I decided to go that route instead of reupholstering. Not bad for $10...
    Only one can needed for the decklid cover? mine is also purple

My Cars
    E36
    Quote Originally Posted by Blkjhnson View Post
    Only one can needed for the decklid cover? mine is also purple
    If you apply light even coats, then one can is plenty.

My Cars
    E36
    Worked on the M3 a little bit yesterday. Since purchasing the car, I've always heard excess wind noise coming from the driver side window. Turns out the window channel by the rear of the door was torn. A buddy of mine has a sedan parts car so I was able to snag one for free.

Installation wasn't too bad but it does require removal of the window. Cabin is super quiet now!

Near future plans for the car include replacement of the CSB, installing manual vaders from my turbo car, and a front end respray. Progress is slow but it's coming together.
    Last edited by bmw328m52; 10-17-2019 at 10:24 AM.

My Cars
    e36M3/4, e60 525, e39
    beautiful color. Been going through pretty much the same restoration process of my e36 3/4/5. Finally got it back on the road and smogged. I reupholstered the rear tray and headliner myself with microfiber suede. I made a clutch stop with an elevator bolt and that has made a great difference in the shifting. Just changed the Diff oil and Trans oil and that has helped too but I think I want to change the clutch pedal (goes of to the left sometimes, missing the clutch stop) and definitely need to change the shifter linkage.

Would you say the new pedal made difference? how long was the install for the pedal?

keep posting pics. Looks great so far
    Last edited by persiandude; 10-17-2019 at 03:42 PM.

[SIZE="1"]1997 M3/4/5 18x8.5 Hartge Classics, F1 Stage 2 Clutch Kit
    :one This Year :: Koni inserts, HR Sport, Rogue RSM, Ball Joints, Powerflex LCAB, Adjustable Sway Links (DIY), Headliner, MM Underpanel, 3 spoke wheel swap, BavSound Speakers, Bluetooth radio adapter

My Cars
    E36
    Quote Originally Posted by persiandude View Post
    beautiful color. Been going through pretty much the same restoration process of my e36 3/4/5. Finally got it back on the road and smogged. I reupholstered the rear tray and headliner myself with microfiber suede. I made a clutch stop with an elevator bolt and that has made a great difference in the shifting. Just changed the Diff oil and Trans oil and that has helped too but I think I want to change the clutch pedal (goes of to the left sometimes, missing the clutch stop) and definitely need to change the shifter linkage.

Would you say the new pedal made difference? how long was the install for the pedal?

keep posting pics. Looks great so far
    Thank you. The car was ROUGH when I bought it. Glad to see you're also taking the maintenance before performance mod approach. I read several posts about the leaning clutch pedal and some said a new pedal would fix it. In my case, I replaced the clutch pedal and bushings. It did not solve the issue....

My Cars
    '99 M3 vert, '07 X3
    Quote Originally Posted by bmw328m52 View Post
    Was able to install the new clutch master cylinder, rogue clutch pedal bushings, and new clutch pedal. Sooo much better now!

Yesterday I cleaned up the interior a little bit. Installed m3 floor mats, new ac vent, radio head unit, oem shift boot and ebrake boot, and zhp shift knob.

I found some of the missing pieces in the trunk tool box on eBay. I also purchased the trunk floor mat straps. Overall pretty productive weekend.
    Woah! Beautiful car but... you really need an actual ///M3 steering wheel!

My Cars
    E36
    lol yea a 3 spoke is on the list.

My Cars
    '99 M3 vert, '07 X3
    If you ever find yourself near Canada's Capital (That's OTTAWA, not Toronto LOL) I have the factory one from my '99 vert (including clockspring and airbag) in quite good shape sitting in a box. I swapped mine out for a sportier Euro M-Sport one with the much smaller air bag and a red centering stripe. (I too like "OEM +)

Shipping across a border is a giant pain these days unfortunately.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast