Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My Newish M3/4/5 Hellrot

My Cars
    E36

My Newish M3/4/5 Hellrot

It's been awhile since I started a build thread. The most recent was for my black 328is that I turbo'd and documented in the FI section back in 2014. Car is running great on 18lbs and producing 450 whp+ reliably. Of course I wasn't content with that so I started searching for another project. This time around I wanted an m3 that I could just tinker with but keep OEM+. It didn't have to be the cleanest example.

I searched in the VA area for several months and found a hellrot m3/4/5 on clist that I instantly fell in love with. I've never owned a sedan so I thought it would be a good change. The car wasn't perfect by any means but it was all reflected in the price. It also came with a large folder of receipts which dated back to 2008 by fellow bimmerforum members. It took about a month before the seller and I were able to agree on a final price. But after finally scheduling to meet at my storage unit, I received a call from the seller that the car was vibrating BAD. He wasn't very technical so I was hoping it wasn't anything major. Turns out it was just the guibo but I was able to negotiate a lower price for the repair. Below are some pics of the car when I first got it back in November of 2017.

The car came with H&R sport springs, AA rep exhaust, and UUC sway bars.

Initial repairs/mods include:
    torn guibo
    respray front bumper with new fender liners/fog deletes
    install oem airbox
    replace windshield cowl cover
    install head unit
    replace floor mats
    replace a/c center vent trim
    broken recliner gear for passenger seat
    sticky driver side rear brake caliper
    cracked idle control valve vacuum hose

I've already addressed some of these areas so I will update with pics. My goal for this build is to keep the car OEM+ but catch up on the maintenance items that need to be addressed. I will report back with updates!
    Last edited by bmw328m52; 01-24-2019 at 10:46 AM.

My Cars
    2017 F150, 97 M3
    Looks really nice! How many miles? Whats the first OEM+ upgrade planned?

My Cars
    E36
    Thank you! Should've included that smh but it has 186k miles. First oem plus mods include zhp shift knob, shifter rebuild kit, clutch(throwout bearing is making noise), and BW rotors/HPS+ street pads.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    Nice man! Love helrot.

My Cars
    Prelude-328-M3-4Runner
    Gotta love a hellrot sedan!
    CBlock

My Cars
    E36
    Quote Originally Posted by rajicase View Post
    Nice man! Love helrot.
    Thanks bro! Paint isn't perfect but I have a local guy who can match it no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by CblockM3 View Post
    Gotta love a hellrot sedan!
    For sure! First sedan chassis I've owned and like it already.

My Cars
    Too Many
    Mmm. Hellrot!
    Nice to know you turbo'd your 328...I have a 99 M3 with m52 obd1 and im going turbo next year (once I finish my rx8 dd). After owning half a dozen e36s, I can't see myself without at least 1 in my lineup. Cant wait to see what you do to this one
    Current lineup: 99 BMW M3vert (project) , 05 Mazda RX-8, 04 Mercedes CLK320, 03 Chevy Express 1500 (work van).
    Previous rides: 07 Mazda RX-8, 92 BMW 325iNV, 94 BMW 325iC, 94 BMW 325i S50 M3 clone, 84 Mitsubishi Cordia Turbo, 84 Mazda B2000 lowrider, 88 Toyota Tercel, 88 Honda Accord, 93 BMW 318i, 95 Nissan Altima, 89 Toyota Camry, 95 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS-T, 93 BMW 318is, 84 Toyota Tercel, 96 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS-T, 97 BMW 528i 1JZ swap, 94 Acura Integra 4dr, 88 Toyota Corolla Wagon, 97 VW Jetta GLS, 86 Toyota Corolla AE86 4A-GZE supercharged engine swap, 94 Lexus LS400, 95 Isuzu NPR Turbo, 01 Suzuki TL1000R, 98 Honda CBR600F3, 99 Yamaha R6 and countless other dirt bikes and toys

My Cars
    '95 M3, '17 Civic Si
    giubo*.
    -Rich-

My Cars
    E36
    Quote Originally Posted by Richkid79 View Post
    Mmm. Hellrot!
    Nice to know you turbo'd your 328...I have a 99 M3 with m52 obd1 and im going turbo next year (once I finish my rx8 dd). After owning half a dozen e36s, I can't see myself without at least 1 in my lineup. Cant wait to see what you do to this one
    Yessir. It was a good learning experience and the FI guys here on the forum are super helpful.

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...m52-t4spa-6262

Will tinker on the M this weekend so pics are coming.

My Cars
    '17 Pilot
    Great lookin car! Love hellrot. Almost makes me miss my sedan... almost.

My Cars
    E36
    Thanks! The color definitely turns heads.

One of the first things I did to the car after purchase was clean the underbody and wheel wells with soap/simple green. Getting dirt in your eyes is no bueno and this car definitely needed it. The new fender liners are looking fresh too!

I also bought some rogue engineering wheel spacers/extended lugs for dirt cheap from a close friend. Current setup is 12mm in front and 5mm in rear on staggered DS2 wheels with 225/245 tires. I'm happy with fitment.

Before

After

Last edited by bmw328m52; 01-28-2019 at 07:26 AM.

My Cars
    E36
    Been busy here lately but worked on some rust areas. Primarily the exhaust and the hood latches.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

My Cars
    E36
    Later I found out that I've been leaking coolant pretty bad. I loaned the Pittsburgh coolant pressure tester tool from advance. It usually costs $240 to rent but the guy was nice enough to let me take it after I left him my ID. The #3 yellow cap fit perfectly. Immediately when I pumped the system to 15psi, the radiator end tank starting leaking . Guess I'll be replacing that next

My Cars
    1998 E36 M3
    Hey buddy. Looks like a good project. I just acquired my Alpine White in October. I didn’t take any chances even though it has only 87k miles. Did major overhaul to the cooling system and upgraded to an all aluminum radiator.
    Best of luck on this project.

My Cars
    E36
    Quote Originally Posted by Positiveions View Post
    Hey buddy. Looks like a good project. I just acquired my Alpine White in October. I didn’t take any chances even though it has only 87k miles. Did major overhaul to the cooling system and upgraded to an all aluminum radiator.
    Best of luck on this project.
    Congrats on the purchase and you're off to a good start by overhauling the cooling system. I'm fortunate that this car already has silicone hoses, new expansion tank, metal bleeder screw, stewart water pump, and fan delete mod. I'll probably just go with the CSF oe-plus radiator/bmw coolant/water wetter combo. Need to stay on budget.

My Cars
    E36
    Went ahead replaced the radiator with a csf oem+ unit using BMW coolant and diluted water. While I was in there I changed the engine/ac belts, trans mounts, engine mounts, cabin filter, and fuel filter

Last edited by bmw328m52; 04-02-2019 at 09:17 PM.

My Cars
    E36
    Also after replacing a sticky brake caliper, I bled the system with new fluid using the motiv tool. Then the clutch master cylinder started leaking . While I'm in there I'm going to do the clutch pedal bushings too. Is that enough to get rid of the side play of the clutch pedal?

Last edited by bmw328m52; 04-03-2019 at 08:08 AM.

My Cars
    1 Blue, 1 White, 1 Black
    Quote Originally Posted by bmw328m52 View Post
    A While I'm in there I'm going to do the clutch pedal bushings too. Is that enough to get rid of the side play of the clutch pedal?

I did the AKG oil impregnated bronze bushings and the difference it made was pretty small.

Love Hellrot, makes me miss my old car.
    Past: '99 Hellrot/Dove M3 | '97 S14 1JZ | '06 Triumph Daytona 675 | '01 330I M-Tech I | '99 Silvia S15 | Current: '96 Estoril/Black M3

Instagram

My Cars
    are slow.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmw328m52 View Post
    Also after replacing a sticky brake caliper, I bled the system with new fluid using the motiv tool. Then the clutch master cylinder started leaking . While I'm in there I'm going to do the clutch pedal bushings too. Is that enough to get rid of the side play of the clutch pedal?
    Is your pedal angled to the left? If so, the pedal should be replaced as well with a new unit. The pedal itself bends, and the bushing hole ovals out causing pedal lean and also slop. You can go with an OE pedal, or Mason Engineering (much nicer unit).

https://www.masonengineering.net/pro...php?bmw_id=e36

As far as the bushings, I've done a few different types on my E36's. I've tried a brand new OE bushing with new pedal, worked fine, but it didn't quite seem like a tight enough fit. Delrin was a close second, and oil impregnated bronze seemed to be the best.
    Last edited by Hova; 04-03-2019 at 12:40 AM.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
    -Dr. Seuss
    DIY BMW Tools. Charlie For President

My Cars
    E36
    Quote Originally Posted by DrftKingIII View Post
    I did the AKG oil impregnated bronze bushings and the difference it made was pretty small.

Love Hellrot, makes me miss my old car.
    Thanks man!

Quote Originally Posted by Hova View Post
    Is your pedal angled to the left? If so, the pedal should be replaced as well with a new unit. The pedal itself bends, and the bushing hole ovals out causing pedal lean and also slop. You can go with an OE pedal, or Mason Engineering (much nicer unit).

https://www.masonengineering.net/pro...php?bmw_id=e36

As far as the bushings, I've done a few different types on my E36's. I've tried a brand new OE bushing with new pedal, worked fine, but it didn't quite seem like a tight enough fit. Delrin was a close second, and oil impregnated bronze seemed to be the best.
    Yea thats pretty much what I've heard so far. I can't justify paying $250+ on the mason pedal though. I'll probably just install the delrin bushings with a new oem pedal.

My Cars
    1998 Techno M3 Coupe
    How do you like working upside down under the dash? That was one of the least enjoyable experiences that I recall.

Nice car. Love the color.

My Cars
    E36
    Haha it actually wasn't too bad since I'm only 5'10. The seat was positioned all the way rearward at full tilt. I was on the seat with stomach facing toward the roof and head under dash with a flashlight. The whole assembly was out in 30 minutes. I recommend video below for anyone doing this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oFud4xKXIk

My Cars
    E36
    Okay so picked up a new clutch pedal from bimmerworld as well as a motiv bleeder/catch can so I don't have borrow one from a friend. This is my first time ever bleeding the master/slave cylinder. From what I've read, you should bleed the brakes first(passenger rear, driver rear, passenger front, driver front). Then you should do the slave using the nipple on the side. Do I have to take the slave out during this process? I've also heard of pressing on the clutch pedal slowly while using the motiv bleeder to get fluid through the master cylinder.

Help is appreciated.
    Last edited by bmw328m52; 04-04-2019 at 02:44 PM.

My Cars
    E36
    Was able to install the new clutch master cylinder, rogue clutch pedal bushings, and new clutch pedal. Sooo much better now!

Yesterday I cleaned up the interior a little bit. Installed m3 floor mats, new ac vent, radio head unit, oem shift boot and ebrake boot, and zhp shift knob.

I found some of the missing pieces in the trunk tool box on eBay. I also purchased the trunk floor mat straps. Overall pretty productive weekend.

Last edited by bmw328m52; 04-14-2019 at 02:05 PM.

My Cars
    are slow.
    Glad the new clutch pedal is to your liking. The plastic BMW chose to use in that location is so bad, it ovals and then bends out of shape over the years. The clutch pedal almost becomes a replacement item for these cars after a number of years.

Good call on the OE floor mats.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
    -Dr. Seuss
    DIY BMW Tools. Charlie For President

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast