Thread: Shops that rebuild m62tu

My Cars
    2001 540i/6, 2000 740i

Shops that rebuild m62tu

Hey guys,

Does anyone know of a shop that rebuilds m62tus? I'm wanting to get an estimate of what it would cost to do a full rebuild.

Thanks

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

JimLev is online now Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Probably a lot less expensive to get one from a wreck.
    Why do you need to get it rebuilt, what's wrong with it?

My Cars
    2001 540i/6, 2000 740i
    Nothing. I'm debating doing an engine swap to either an S62 or an m62tub46.
    I got a quote for a complete rebuild on a S62 but I haven't been able to find a shop that does m62tu rebuilds.

My Cars
    540it, 540sedan, 540-6 s
    For the sake of the forum and its ability to help you on your quest, it would be helpful for you to define "rebuild ".
    Any shop that can quote you a price on rebuilding an s62 can certainly do a m62.
    And how much was that? Plus core?
    The m62's don't really require a rebuild , maybe reseal and rod bearings @200k.
    Or get a used one if yours is bad.

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Ha ha. Yeah, nobody specializes in these, for reasons 'ho and Jim have articulated.

1. They generally are pretty robust internally so the need-to-rebuild demand is low.
    2. The motors in general ain't in high demand at junkyards, so, motor swaps are much easier and cheaper almost every time.
    probably also a distant third
    3. They ain't widely used in performance builds so there's no call for performance-related rebuilding

Also agree with WaggyHo's questions. "what do you consider 'rebuild' anyway"...
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    2001 540i/6, 2000 740i
    The S62 quote was a complete rebuild, rehone cylinders, new pistons, rings, head work, if they are good reuse the camshafts and crankshafts. New vanos units, gaskets, oil pump, etc.. That quote was north of 15k. It would basically be a new engine.

Im looking for a shop that would do similar work but for a m62.

I know an m62tub46 should be cheaper to rebuild I just want to get some hard numbers to do a comparison.
    Ive found plenty of places that do S-series bmw engines, but not much for the more common lower end engines.

Last edited by viking89; 01-24-2019 at 01:51 PM.

My Cars
    00 M5 | 03 540i | 94 NSX

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    LOL. I always love "YES I BROUGHT UP TOPIC X BUT I FORBID YOU TO COMMENT ON IT, ONLY MY VIEWS ON TOPIC X ARE ALLOWED!".
    We just had that the other day with Mr. "All Mechanics Are Scumbags and Scammers and I forbid you to post in my thread that you think otherwise". Ha!

Anyway. Getting on with helpfulniz.

Vikes, the critical thing for a total overhaul on one of these is dealing with the Alusil block. If the bores need re-honing (that's not guaranteed unless you've looked in the bores and are confirming it...) then the honing requires special tools and pastes and knowing what you're doing.

If a shop bores and rehones conventionally that motor is going to have a good chance it won't seal up or wear properly at all.

Or you sleeve it and hope it doesn't drop the sleeves as has happened apparently. VAC in Philly claims to do flanged sleeves to deal with that, but my perception is that their stories and realities are shall we say, non-convergent. At any rate I don't see any reason to sleeve one of these whatsoever anyway unless you're trying for some kind of world-class crazy unicorn build.

Porsche likes the Alusil blocks by the way, so if you find a shop that's done Porsche Alusil blocks they probably have the stuff required to hone these.

If your bores are good, well then its a much more standard job and I'm not sure I'd be too concerned about an otherwise generally excellent engine shop screwing it up.

Aside from that they aren't real rocket surgery motors, so "anybody who knows what they are doing and does quality rebuilding" should be OK... but that's a big consideration. Head-wise, yeah its a tight valve train for DIY work but any good engine shop should have the tools to compress springs and whatnot.

- - - Updated - - -

Aaaah. I see the 'don't discuss if this is or is not a good idea' comment was deleted vs the initial post, so, disregard the pre-amble above...
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    2001 540i/6, 2000 740i
    Yeah I deleted that comment, when i re-read it, it sounded to aggressive and not the point I was going for.
    The shop I have talked to has the tools to handle re-exposing the silicone in the block for the S62. I have seen the idea of sleeves thrown about but thats not something I was interested in.
    Thanks for the tip about Porsche engines, I didn't know they used the same material in their blocks. Whatever engine I go for, I want it as "new" as I can get it.

Thanks for the link MotorMouth, Ill give them a call.
    Last edited by viking89; 01-24-2019 at 02:46 PM.