Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 70

Thread: Another crank no start issue

  1. #26
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Renton, Wa
    Posts
    5,181
    My Cars
    98 m3
    Obd1 cam sensors can be tested with a multimeter.

    If your sensor has no resistance get a new one.

    Cam sensors control fuel.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1989 535i - sold
    1999 Tiag/Dove M3 - sold
    1998 Turbo Arctic/black - current
    2004 TiAg/Black - Current

    PTE6870 | 1.15 ar | Hp Cover, Custom Divided T4 bottom-mount, 3.5" SS exhaust, Dual Turbosmart Compgates, Turbosmart Raceport BOV, 3.5" Treadstone Intercooler, 3.5" Vibrant resonator and muffler, Arp 2k Headstuds | Arp 2k Main studs | 87mm Je pistons | Eagle rods | 9.2:1 static compression, Ces 87mm cutring, Custom solid rear subframe bushings, Akg 85d diff bushings, 4 clutch 3.15 diff, , Poly engine mounts, UUC trans mounts W/ enforcers, 22RPD OBD2 Stock ECU id1700 E85 tune, 22RPD Big power Transmission swap w/ GS6-53

  2. #27
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    2,826
    My Cars
    97' m52 turbo
    I, +2 on putting all the stock hardware and electronics back on to see if the car will at least start

    and if it does, check for CELs - check idling and observe how the car runs.

    Replace sensors that are throwing codes, make sure the car runs perfect.

    Then, throw the Turbo stuff back on:

    If it runs like crap or not at all again - you know its because:
    a. you didn't install the turbo stuff properly, lol or
    b. DME, injectors, or bad MAF - not going to question Zack's tune (because I'm not a tuner)

    You don't have to connect piping to MAF or anything, just throw the stuff back on real quick. Literally will take 30-45 minutes.

    But, my car has always at least started (ran like shit) but started, none the less. And I've literally unplugged (all sensors), replaced, tried different sensor combinations (some plugged, some not). Checked fuel pressure, fuel pump. Everything - it always started.

    Try and report back

    - - - Updated - - -

    AND videos help as well
    Last edited by 328iFun; 01-27-2019 at 03:22 PM.

  3. #28
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Carbondale Pennsylvania
    Posts
    38
    My Cars
    ‘94 325i, ‘18 Tundra
    Quote Originally Posted by vollosso View Post
    Obd1 cam sensors can be tested with a multimeter.

    If your sensor has no resistance get a new one.

    Cam sensors control fuel.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That’s what I assumed, probably the whole reason why, it seems like my car is flooding.Picking up a new sensor tomorrow and if it doesn’t do the trick I’m gonna return it back

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    387
    My Cars
    E36 M3 Turbo
    Have you done a boost leak / intake leak test? You may have popped a hose off during your 2 step launch control. That will also cause flooding. Might have been the boost in compression that allowed it to start when you put oil in cylinders.

    A massive intake leak will definitely cause flooding. Crank for 15 seconds and pull all 6 plugs. Is it soaking all 6 plugs in gas after cranking?
    97 Turbo 3.2L M3 - Cutring / ARP - RSI Top Mount - Gt4088r - ID1300 - Tial WG - 22RPD Tuned - 93 Octane - 3.5" Stainless

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    2,826
    My Cars
    97' m52 turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by SCapelo View Post
    Have you done a boost leak / intake leak test? You may have popped a hose off during your 2 step launch control. That will also cause flooding. Might have been the boost in compression that allowed it to start when you put oil in cylinders.

    A massive intake leak will definitely cause flooding. Crank for 15 seconds and pull all 6 plugs. Is it soaking all 6 plugs in gas after cranking?
    Was my first thought

    Always do a boost leak test before first start

  6. #31
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    532
    My Cars
    '87 e30, '02 e39 Dinan
    If you hold the throttle down, does the oem ecu do flood clear?
    Capital Driving Club Car # 102
    How to turbo your car:
    Step one. Install ecu and learn to tune and or have it tuned.
    Step two. Install injectors and retune.
    Step three. Install turbo parts and bits. get it running with out leaks. DO NOT DRIVE IT. Idling should be ok
    Step four. Retune car
    Step five enjoy

  7. #32
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Carbondale Pennsylvania
    Posts
    38
    My Cars
    ‘94 325i, ‘18 Tundra
    Quote Originally Posted by euro2fast4u View Post
    If you hold the throttle down, does the oem ecu do flood clear?
    negative, wont start with the gas pedal depressed

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by SCapelo View Post
    Have you done a boost leak / intake leak test? You may have popped a hose off during your 2 step launch control. That will also cause flooding. Might have been the boost in compression that allowed it to start when you put oil in cylinders.

    A massive intake leak will definitely cause flooding. Crank for 15 seconds and pull all 6 plugs. Is it soaking all 6 plugs in gas after cranking?
    everything seems to be intact
    Last edited by DSGBUILT; 01-29-2019 at 12:48 PM.

  8. #33
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Carbondale Pennsylvania
    Posts
    38
    My Cars
    ‘94 325i, ‘18 Tundra
    well i changed out the camshaft position sensor and nothing has changed.
    im going to go over everything again as for cracked hoses and what not and c if i can find anything out of the ordinary.

    if i cant seem to figure it out im going have no choice but to take it to a local bmw mechanic who has more free time on his hands.

    the car seems like it getting fuel because of the strong fuel smell but i cant seem to hear the fuel pump running when turning on the car but once jumping the relay i hear a fluid splashing sound by the fuel rail,
    the car also has a definate spark and after changing around the fuel filter, camshaft position sensor and crank shaft sensor its still the same thing.
    i also noticed that the cars rpm gauge doesnt budge when trying to start her up.

    im getting aggravated with the whole situation and on a brink of giving up and taking her in to the shop.

  9. #34
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Renton, Wa
    Posts
    5,181
    My Cars
    98 m3
    What’s the resistance on the new cam sensor?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1989 535i - sold
    1999 Tiag/Dove M3 - sold
    1998 Turbo Arctic/black - current
    2004 TiAg/Black - Current

    PTE6870 | 1.15 ar | Hp Cover, Custom Divided T4 bottom-mount, 3.5" SS exhaust, Dual Turbosmart Compgates, Turbosmart Raceport BOV, 3.5" Treadstone Intercooler, 3.5" Vibrant resonator and muffler, Arp 2k Headstuds | Arp 2k Main studs | 87mm Je pistons | Eagle rods | 9.2:1 static compression, Ces 87mm cutring, Custom solid rear subframe bushings, Akg 85d diff bushings, 4 clutch 3.15 diff, , Poly engine mounts, UUC trans mounts W/ enforcers, 22RPD OBD2 Stock ECU id1700 E85 tune, 22RPD Big power Transmission swap w/ GS6-53

  10. #35
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Carbondale Pennsylvania
    Posts
    38
    My Cars
    ‘94 325i, ‘18 Tundra
    Quote Originally Posted by vollosso View Post
    What’s the resistance on the new cam sensor?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I wasn’t able to test it . Nothing comes up when 1 and 2 is touched . Maybe I’m testing it wrong, are u sure
    the resistance on a obd1 sensor could be checked ?

  11. #36
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Renton, Wa
    Posts
    5,181
    My Cars
    98 m3
    Quote Originally Posted by DSGBUILT View Post
    I wasn’t able to test it . Nothing comes up when 1 and 2 is touched . Maybe I’m testing it wrong, are u sure
    the resistance on a obd1 sensor could be checked ?
    Yes I’m sure

    Whats the part number on your sensor?




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1989 535i - sold
    1999 Tiag/Dove M3 - sold
    1998 Turbo Arctic/black - current
    2004 TiAg/Black - Current

    PTE6870 | 1.15 ar | Hp Cover, Custom Divided T4 bottom-mount, 3.5" SS exhaust, Dual Turbosmart Compgates, Turbosmart Raceport BOV, 3.5" Treadstone Intercooler, 3.5" Vibrant resonator and muffler, Arp 2k Headstuds | Arp 2k Main studs | 87mm Je pistons | Eagle rods | 9.2:1 static compression, Ces 87mm cutring, Custom solid rear subframe bushings, Akg 85d diff bushings, 4 clutch 3.15 diff, , Poly engine mounts, UUC trans mounts W/ enforcers, 22RPD OBD2 Stock ECU id1700 E85 tune, 22RPD Big power Transmission swap w/ GS6-53

  12. #37
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Carbondale Pennsylvania
    Posts
    38
    My Cars
    ‘94 325i, ‘18 Tundra
    Quote Originally Posted by vollosso View Post
    Yes I’m sure

    Whats the part number on your sensor?




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    bosch 0232103003

  13. #38
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Carbondale Pennsylvania
    Posts
    38
    My Cars
    ‘94 325i, ‘18 Tundra

  14. #39
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Renton, Wa
    Posts
    5,181
    My Cars
    98 m3
    Quote Originally Posted by DSGBUILT View Post
    bosch 0232103003
    This is a vr sensor. Meaning resistance can be measured.

    With the single nib up and the two nibs down, measure resistance across left and center pins.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1989 535i - sold
    1999 Tiag/Dove M3 - sold
    1998 Turbo Arctic/black - current
    2004 TiAg/Black - Current

    PTE6870 | 1.15 ar | Hp Cover, Custom Divided T4 bottom-mount, 3.5" SS exhaust, Dual Turbosmart Compgates, Turbosmart Raceport BOV, 3.5" Treadstone Intercooler, 3.5" Vibrant resonator and muffler, Arp 2k Headstuds | Arp 2k Main studs | 87mm Je pistons | Eagle rods | 9.2:1 static compression, Ces 87mm cutring, Custom solid rear subframe bushings, Akg 85d diff bushings, 4 clutch 3.15 diff, , Poly engine mounts, UUC trans mounts W/ enforcers, 22RPD OBD2 Stock ECU id1700 E85 tune, 22RPD Big power Transmission swap w/ GS6-53

  15. #40
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Carbondale Pennsylvania
    Posts
    38
    My Cars
    ‘94 325i, ‘18 Tundra
    Quote Originally Posted by vollosso View Post
    This is a vr sensor. Meaning resistance can be measured.

    With the single nib up and the two nibs down, measure resistance across left and center pins.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    i got the red wire on the first one and black on the middle one is this correct?

  16. #41
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Renton, Wa
    Posts
    5,181
    My Cars
    98 m3
    Quote Originally Posted by DSGBUILT View Post
    i got the red wire on the first one and black on the middle one is this correct?
    Without pulling out the etm I don’t know the colors.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1989 535i - sold
    1999 Tiag/Dove M3 - sold
    1998 Turbo Arctic/black - current
    2004 TiAg/Black - Current

    PTE6870 | 1.15 ar | Hp Cover, Custom Divided T4 bottom-mount, 3.5" SS exhaust, Dual Turbosmart Compgates, Turbosmart Raceport BOV, 3.5" Treadstone Intercooler, 3.5" Vibrant resonator and muffler, Arp 2k Headstuds | Arp 2k Main studs | 87mm Je pistons | Eagle rods | 9.2:1 static compression, Ces 87mm cutring, Custom solid rear subframe bushings, Akg 85d diff bushings, 4 clutch 3.15 diff, , Poly engine mounts, UUC trans mounts W/ enforcers, 22RPD OBD2 Stock ECU id1700 E85 tune, 22RPD Big power Transmission swap w/ GS6-53

  17. #42
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Carbondale Pennsylvania
    Posts
    38
    My Cars
    ‘94 325i, ‘18 Tundra
    Quote Originally Posted by vollosso View Post
    Without pulling out the etm I don’t know the colors.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    well i tried any possible combination with either red or black and middle and either one on either left or right, hard to believe a brand new bosch sensor would be bad out of the box.

  18. #43
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    RI
    Posts
    130
    My Cars
    1994 325is
    I surely dont know as much as Zach, but I thought obd1 cam sensors were Hall effect? Would think that would be hard to bench test, you would need to supply voltage it.

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by drstuess; 01-29-2019 at 04:57 PM.

  19. #44
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Tenerife, Spain
    Posts
    624
    My Cars
    1997 BMW E36 323i
    Did you do the starter fluid test, with the spark plugs dry, like I wrote here: #9
    That would be very interesting, because that would mean that the ignition part of the DME/coils/etc is working properly (if the engine combusts the starter fluid).
    And then you could conclude that there is a problem with the fueling. Replacing fuel pressure regulator, or, better, first measuring fuel pressure would then increase the chances of fixing this a lot.

    Fuel pressure regulators can go bad in several ways. I once had one go bad that sent 7 bar (full fuel pump pressure, killing the fuel pump in the process) to the fuel rail. That will cause soaking for sure. And it can also go bad, in that it builds virtually no pressure. Then the fuel doesn't get atomized properly in the cylinder and might also result in a soaked engine, because the mixture won't combust.

    Good luck! Don't give up yet.. Or, if you know a good, and not too expensive Indy-shop, let them do the ignition and then fuel pressure test.. Perhaps ask them for a fixed price, so there are no surprises.
    Running to the wrong shop, with a guy with insufficient experience, and giving him an open budget to diagnose and replace everything, can cost you a lot (hundreds and hundreds) of dollars before you know it.
    Last edited by ed323i; 01-29-2019 at 05:18 PM.


    1997 E36 BMW 323i
    (European) 275k km (171k miles), with following small mods:

  20. #45
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Carbondale Pennsylvania
    Posts
    38
    My Cars
    ‘94 325i, ‘18 Tundra
    Quote Originally Posted by ed323i View Post
    Did you do the starter fluid test, with the spark plugs dry, like I wrote here: #9
    That would be very interesting, because that would mean that the ignition part of the DME/coils/etc is working properly (if the engine combusts the starter fluid).
    And then you could conclude that there is a problem with the fueling. Replacing fuel pressure regulator, or, better, first measuring fuel pressure would then increase the chances of fixing this a lot.

    Fuel pressure regulators can go bad in several ways. I once had one go bad that sent 7 bar (full fuel pump pressure, killing the fuel pump in the process) to the fuel rail. That will cause soaking for sure. And it can also go bad, in that it builds virtually no pressure. Then the fuel doesn't get atomized properly in the cylinder and might also result in a soaked engine, because the mixture won't combust.

    Good luck! Don't give up yet.. Or, if you know a good, and not too expensive Indy-shop, let them do the ignition and then fuel pressure test.. Perhaps ask them for a fixed price, so there are no surprises.
    Running to the wrong shop, with a guy with insufficient experience, and giving him an open budget to diagnose and replace everything, can cost you a lot (hundreds and hundreds) of dollars before you know it.
    hey yeah i tried to start the car several times with starting fluid and nothing happened.
    i also just replaced the fuel pressure regulator to absolutely no change.
    got a new camshaft position sensor put it in and still the same thing.

    i dont want to give up on trying to get it running as this car has never been worked on by anybody besides my self. headgasket / turbo and fabricating all done bymyself.
    its just frustrating .lol

  21. #46
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Carbondale Pennsylvania
    Posts
    38
    My Cars
    ‘94 325i, ‘18 Tundra
    I also noticed the rpm gauge doesn’t move when the I try to start her up . What would be the cause of that ?

  22. #47
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    RI
    Posts
    130
    My Cars
    1994 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by DSGBUILT View Post
    I also noticed the rpm gauge doesn’t move when the I try to start her up . What would be the cause of that ?
    Crankshaft sensor? Maybe intermediate connection. I would check the sensor harness there maybe. I pinched mine on the engine lift/eye hook bolt once and shorted it.

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by drstuess; 01-29-2019 at 06:59 PM.

  23. #48
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Carbondale Pennsylvania
    Posts
    38
    My Cars
    ‘94 325i, ‘18 Tundra
    well i took the manifold off to check for any lose connections and ruptured hoses and everything seemed fine.
    funny thing was right before i unhooked the hoses for the fuel line i tried to bleed the system of fuel and the car seemed like it was about to start.
    it seems like everytime the fuel pump relay or fuse is disconnnected the car seems to fire up but dies right away.
    also changed the crank sensor with the one im waiting to return to an ebay seller and nothing changed as well.




    and this is the car btw:

    Last edited by DSGBUILT; 01-29-2019 at 10:49 PM.

  24. #49
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Carbondale Pennsylvania
    Posts
    38
    My Cars
    ‘94 325i, ‘18 Tundra
    quick update guys:
    after taking off the manifold and going over everything and also cleaning the icv valve while i was there, the car started right up. i been in the garage for the past few hours so im going to call it a night plus i didnt want to wake up my neighbors with the loud ass hood dump.
    come morning time im going to c if she fires right up.
    ill keep everyone updated with everything

  25. #50
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Carbondale Pennsylvania
    Posts
    38
    My Cars
    ‘94 325i, ‘18 Tundra
    so after starting the car in the morning the car started right up but ran super rich, it idled at 8.5afr and as soon as i moved it it shut right off..
    my next plan of action is to perform a home made smoke test and c if that does anything, i also got a cheap ass ebay 15$ 02 sensor to go with my build maybe thats a possible cause for it running to rich.
    Last edited by DSGBUILT; 01-30-2019 at 01:00 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Crank no Start Issue Resolved!
    By billyboy740 in forum 1995 - 2001 (E38)
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 12-19-2018, 08:05 PM
  2. Complicated No Crank No Start issue!!!
    By purplecty in forum Diagnostic Software
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 10-18-2012, 08:38 PM
  3. Not another crank no start!
    By dim22 in forum Forced Induction
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 05-10-2011, 01:00 AM
  4. HELP crank no start issue
    By jhr917 in forum 1999 - 2006 (E46)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-11-2010, 10:29 AM
  5. Hey look another crank no start problem
    By clay@bimmerzone in forum 1991 - 1999 (E36)
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-11-2009, 10:36 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •