RM European Auto Parts

Thread: 2004 BMW X3 , advice on resetting check engine light

My Cars
    BMW X3

2004 BMW X3 , advice on resetting check engine light

Just looking for some help on resetting my check engine light. I recently had a P0411 code which is for Secondary Air System Incorrect Flow Detected. I bought and replaced the Non Return Valve that allows air into the catalytic converter from the secondary air pump. Any advice on how to reset the OBD2 without a diagnostic tool? I tried unplugging the battery terminals and touching them together but it didn’t do the trick. Perhaps I didn’t leave it long enough?
    Last edited by X3 Beginner; 01-23-2019 at 11:14 AM.

My Cars
    You're going to need a diagnostic tool to reset it.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    BMW X3
    Any recommendations on one that is fairly functional yet affordable?

My Cars
    Hopefully someone else will chime in with more advice. I work at a dealer and only have used factory diagnostic equipment. Do yourself a favor and get a BMW specific tool if you plan on doing your own diagnostics and work on the car yourself. ISTA is BMW software. I've heard of Carly app, maybe the Peake tool. Anyone else have input?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

MauiM3Mania is offline Observer/Master Skeptic Moderator
    My Cars
    88M3 99M3 04M3 ITBx16
    Moved to the BMW General Mechanical sub-forum.
    04M3 TiAg 69k slick-top 3 pedal
    99M3 Cosmos 61k S50B32 euro 6Spd

88M3 AW 43k miles Project FS

WTB: 3.5" Eurosport/Conforti CAI

My Cars
    95 m3+, 03 ZHP, Mk4 Tdi
    I was trying to recall - this might clear on its own if repaired after some drive cycles.

Otherwise - just about any obd2 reader will clear this code but I completely agree a bmw scanner is a good investment if you plan on doing your own work.

The schwaben/foxwell nt510 is a great choice and packs a bunch of features for the price (around $150).
    Carly would work too as would many others.
    '95 325iS - auto to manual swap done!

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    +1

The Schwaben/Foxwell is a good tool for the price. Just think how much you would have to pay to get the codes scanned from every ECU in the car, and it will have paid for itself.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Get the OBDFusion app for your smartphone or tablet. Then head over to E46Fanatics and search for OBDFusion threads in which jfoj has commented. He’s the guru. The app reasmds/clears codes, allows you to read and record various data streams and export data for analysis is Excel.

My Cars
    95 m3+, 03 ZHP, Mk4 Tdi
    just to clarify - OBDfusion only clears OBD2 codes; it is not BMW specific - unless they've released a BMW pack or something recently....

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Yeah, I just looked at the OBD Fusion website, and it seems that on BMW's, it only reads P-codes, which are useless at best.

I'd recommend the Foxwell / Schwaben unit, which converses in both directions with all BMW computers.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-schwaben...020sch01a~scf/

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Got it. I’ll make sure the app’s functions match the need.

My Cars
    95 m3+, 03 ZHP, Mk4 Tdi
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcoZandrini View Post
    Got it. I’ll make sure the app’s functions match the need.
    i like obdfusion, and its really nice and easy to use especially when troubleshooting lean/rich type stuff as jfoj has documented. i've followed his tutorials before when using the app. and, it would clear a basic OBD2 emissions code in this situation; however, it's just limited in what it can do.....

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Okay....among knowledgeable friends, I really must apologize. OBD codes and data are not useless at all....the problem lies in the interpretation, especially utilizing generic formats.

If Marco or shadow see "fuel system" codes, or "O2 sensor range" codes, they're not going to run out and buy a fuel pump or O2 sensor.....they're going to do a smoke test. Similarly, with a Secondary air incorrect flow code, they're not going to buy the valve until they've used a good scan tool to activate the SAP, and checked for leaks and good flow.

With the Foxwell, you can activate the pump for testing, with an OBD generic tool, I seriously doubt that's possible.

I just hate seeing these little plugs in the OBD port, and having some owner who read his phone app tell me to replace his MAF, when he's clearly got a torn intake elbow.

This week, I had a Mini owner who came in and INSISTED, vehemently, that we replace his MAF and MAP sensors, and NOT scan his car and diagnose the issue, because his little pocket plug thing had already done that, and he had Googled the codes. He was SO rude in insinuating that I only wanted to steal his money though diagnosis, that I had the foreman order the parts he demanded. I replaced the $600 worth of parts....and while I was at it, I even reconnected his intake elbow to the turbocharger for him.

Now he knows he's a genius, because his car is fixed, and he didn't have to pay $49 for a scan and diagnosis, which would have let me reconnect the hose for free, of course.

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwdirtracer View Post

I just hate seeing these little plugs in the OBD port, and having some owner who read his phone app tell me to replace his MAF, when he's clearly got a torn intake elbow.

This week, I had a Mini owner who came in and INSISTED, vehemently, that we replace his MAF and MAP sensors, and NOT scan his car and diagnose the issue, because his little pocket plug thing had already done that, and he had Googled the codes. He was SO rude in insinuating that I only wanted to steal his money though diagnosis, that I had the foreman order the parts he demanded. I replaced the $600 worth of parts....and while I was at it, I even reconnected his intake elbow to the turbocharger for him.

Now he knows he's a genius, because his car is fixed, and he didn't have to pay $49 for a scan and diagnosis, which would have let me reconnect the hose for free, of course.
    Mini owner. Come on, take the genius' money and run.
    I've seen ads for these devices/apps. on TV. Don't let that evil, conniving mechanic steal YOUR money!
    I hope you gave him his old parts back.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue