RM European Auto Parts

Thread: PCV Valve

My Cars
    2002 BMW 325xi Touring

CCV Valve

Hey guys. New to the forum and new BMW owner. I have a 2002 325xi. Recently had an ordeal with what I believe to be a bad CCV valve. It has been negative degree temperatures where I live. Was running late one morning and didn’t let my car warm up properly. Pulling into work smoke was filling the cab and coming out from all over the engine. Oil seemed to be spewing all over the passenger side engine bay. I’ve done some research on the internet and have come to the conclusion that the PCV valve froze and basically cause my valve cover to blow. Is that correct? Oil was only on the passenger side of the engine bay so Thats was I assume it is since it slants down to the passenger side. Anyways. Purchased a new cold weather kit and upon replacing everything I noticed yellow sludge in all the breather tubes and dipstick tube. From what I’ve read this is from condensation? I’m sure somebody has had a run in with this. Anything else I should check into? How do I clear that system from sludge after replacing the tubes? Saw some in the openings to the intake manifold and vanos. I can post pictures. Probably left out some information. But I can give as needed. I appreciate it.

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Welcome to the Forum!

Yes, allowing short trips in sub-freezing temps can cause the CCV valve to freeze. The fact that it froze shut is a good thing, for if it froze open, you would have a hydro locked motor on your hands. Please take a look at the attachment, as this is BMW's fix to the problem.

Also be sure to replace the valve cover gasket too, and inspect the valve cover for cracks, ect.

P.S. If you haven't had it done yet, call a dealership to see if the passenger side airbag has been replaced, or click here!

P.P.S. As a "while you are in there" attach a vacuum line to the CCV to reduce oil consumption too.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by dworthy; 01-23-2019 at 06:10 AM.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    1974 2002, 2009 128i
    I suggest you read this: https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...CV-replacement

While you're not chasing the same problem I was, the mod eventually described in the link above will also benefit your engine. A byproduct of if it is that it increases crankcase vacuum considerably, which evacuates moisture more effectively, and thus dramatically reduces the formation of the oil-water emulsion you describe.

Life's tough. It's tougher when you're stupid.
    -John Wayne

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by 02Pilot View Post
    I suggest you read this: https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...CV-replacement

While you're not chasing the same problem I was, the mod eventually described in the link above will also benefit your engine. A byproduct of if it is that it increases crankcase vacuum considerably, which evacuates moisture more effectively, and thus dramatically reduces the formation of the oil-water emulsion you describe.
    Yeah, I had thought about pointing him towards your thread, just couldn't find it at the time.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    2002 BMW 325xi Touring
    Thanks for the help guys. I didn't even think about replacing the dipstick guide tube. Probably very important, haha. Couldn't find the info on it but what would be a good way to achieve getting rid of the sludge out of the openings to the intake manifold and the valve cover? Is there a flush? Or do you just try to wipe it as best as possible?

P.S. I was testing how the connectors work for those tubes and ended up breaking the ring around the outside due to it being a tad cold in my garage. Will it still clamp or do I have to get a new one?

Attachment 644399

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Well the kit comes with all hoses needed to completely replace the CCV and pipes. The dipstick tube is a redesigned part, as it removes the inner liner, and allows it do drop it directly in.

Yes, you can tape that hose back into place for the time being, and my favorite place to order OE parts: www.thebmwminipartstore.com As an added bonus they are also forum sponsors, all you need to do is get the part numbers from my PDF and put them in there.
    Darin
    Current:
    Past:
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    2002 BMW 325xi Touring
    Quote Originally Posted by dworthy View Post
    Well the kit comes with all hoses needed to completely replace the CCV and pipes. The dipstick tube is a redesigned part, as it removes the inner liner, and allows it do drop it directly in.

Yes, you can tape that hose back into place for the time being, and my favorite place to order OE parts: www.thebmwminipartstore.com As an added bonus they are also forum sponsors, all you need to do is get the part numbers from my PDF and put them in there.
    Makes sense. I might as well get the dipstick tube while I’m at it. And I apologize if I didn’t quite grasp what you said, but will I have to order another hose for the one that I broke? I’ve never dealt with these connectors before.

My Cars
    1974 2002, 2009 128i
    Ideally you'd get another hose, as once those clamps break they don't really hold properly. Taping it up will work (in theory), but it's also asking for a vacuum leak long-term. Spray a little WD-40 on the O-rings on those hoses - they will go together a lot easier. Cleaning the emulsion out of the valve cover nipple and other areas is best accomplished with a simple zip tie - just drag the worst of it out so air can flow; the rest will dissipate in due time, assuming you do the mod to increase vacuum.

Life's tough. It's tougher when you're stupid.
    -John Wayne

My Cars
    2002 BMW 325xi Touring
    Quote Originally Posted by 02Pilot View Post
    Ideally you'd get another hose, as once those clamps break they don't really hold properly. Taping it up will work (in theory), but it's also asking for a vacuum leak long-term. Spray a little WD-40 on the O-rings on those hoses - they will go together a lot easier. Cleaning the emulsion out of the valve cover nipple and other areas is best accomplished with a simple zip tie - just drag the worst of it out so air can flow; the rest will dissipate in due time, assuming you do the mod to increase vacuum.
    Perfect. Thank you very much for the information.

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Just so you know this is everything that comes in the kit:

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=11_2194

Be sure to order #6 as our engine age they like to drink oil, and that is the vacuum hose I refer to. Your car will not have it, as BMW didn't install it for some odd reason.
    Darin
    Current:
    Past:
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR

Be sure to order #6 as our engine age they like to drink oil, and that is the vacuum hose I refer to. Your car will not have it, as BMW didn't install it for some odd reason.
    It's capped on the M54.
    M52tu has a hose to the fuel pressure regulator, I believe...

Looking for an E39 belly pan , passenger front inner fender liner …

My Cars
    2002 BMW 325xi Touring

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...e/11617533400/

This is the one that I ordered. It’s sitting in my buddy’s garage, so I can’t verify for sure at the moment. Not looking like it has the capped nipple that the standard one provides.
    Last edited by Jarl Mikael; 01-24-2019 at 08:25 PM.

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    It's underneath all the padding. The cold weather version is the same, except with a bunch of fluff.

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    2002 BMW 325xi Touring
    I finally got everything buttoned up. The only one that I struggled with was the one that connects to the valve cover. I heard it click in on both ends, but when I connected it to the valve cover on the top end it seemed to have pulled out a little bit. Unfortunately there's no room to move it in any farther when I got the OS screwed down. Do you think it will be alright?
    thumbnail_image1.jpg

My Cars
    2002 BMW 325xi Touring
    It's not going anywhere, but I'm thinking about dabbing some RTVon there just for safe measure. Thoughts?

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Those connectors are not designed to have anything else added to them. What I like to do on the O-rings is add a touch of oil or lube to make it slide in easier.
    Darin
    Current:
    Past:
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Getting rid of the crud under the valve cover requires more frequent oil changes, and weekly highway speeds+ runs of at least 20 miles. As for the intake, clean what you can with a rag. Lastly, check the DISA valve o-ring. The embedded o-ring can leak.

My Cars
    2002 BMW 325xi Touring
    Those connectors are not designed to have anything else added to them. What I like to do on the O-rings is add a touch of oil or lube to make it slide in easier.
    Right. Just with the trouble I’m having I was just wondering. It mainly has to do with the casing around it. But I shaved most of it down in my trouble spots. But like I said, once I mount it, it seems to pull just a little bit. Must have to do with the cold. I did indeed lubricate the o-rings though. Almost seems like that’s what’s making it want to slide back out.

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    There will be a little bit of play, and yes the cold can be "shrinking" some of the rubber. The fun one is attaching the 90 degree turn to the CCV, that one always gives me problems.
    Darin
    Current:
    Past:
    M-Flight Member