RM European Auto Parts

Thread: Advice needed; injectors or fuel pump check valve?

My Cars
    2003 z4

Advice needed; injectors or fuel pump check valve?

I recently purchased a 2003 BMW Z4 with the 2.5 liter engine and it has 150,000 miles on it. I've noticed a problem with hot starts. The cold starts are fine it's just the hot starts. It takes a little longer to crank and get going and it idles rough afterwards for a few seconds. I hooked up my fuel pressure gauge and put the key in the ignition to the on position and the fuel pressure goes up to 50 psig. It slowly bleeds off pressure over the course of a few minutes and then hovers around 10 psig. My question is are the injectors leaking or is the check valve leaking? I would assume it would be the injectors because of the rough idle situation that goes away after a few seconds but I wanted some advice on others that have more experience with BMW's than I do

- - - Updated - - -

Oh I forgot to mention a really important detail. When it's idling rough in the hot start condition I smell raw fuel really strongly. I assume that this was coming out the tailpipe because the injectors were leaking by and the engine was clearing the gas that was leaking but I'm not sure
    Last edited by Red Z4; 01-22-2019 at 11:00 PM.

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Welcome to the Forum!

The best way to find a leaky injector is to look at LTFT/STFT values using INPA or ISIT software. You can also use a Foxwell scanner IIRC to do the same thing.

Your pressure is correct, and the bleed-off shouldn't be occurring as much so it can be a check valve.

The biggest thing I see with bad idle for hot start/restarts is vacuum leaks. Being that your car is 15 years old, a lot of the rubber intake tubing will be bad, so start with a smoke test. BTW is your check engine light on?
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Z4 View Post
    I recently purchased a 2003 BMW Z4 with the 2.5 liter engine and it has 150,000 miles on it. I've noticed a problem with hot starts. The cold starts are fine it's just the hot starts. It takes a little longer to crank and get going and it idles rough afterwards for a few seconds. I hooked up my fuel pressure gauge and put the key in the ignition to the on position and the fuel pressure goes up to 50 psig. It slowly bleeds off pressure over the course of a few minutes and then hovers around 10 psig. My question is are the injectors leaking or is the check valve leaking? I would assume it would be the injectors because of the rough idle situation that goes away after a few seconds but I wanted some advice on others that have more experience with BMW's than I do

- - - Updated - - -

Oh I forgot to mention a really important detail. When it's idling rough in the hot start condition I smell raw fuel really strongly. I assume that this was coming out the tailpipe because the injectors were leaking by and the engine was clearing the gas that was leaking but I'm not sure
    your combined symptoms tell me that some or all of your injectors are leaking down after shut down. Some of the leaked fuel will evaporate or run past the rings given enough time(cold start) also, the engine wants more fuel when cold so this over rich condition will be less noticeable.
    Does the oil smell like fuel? Leaking injectors will dilute the oil and fuel washed cylinders on cold start see accelerated wear.
    Plenty of places to "rebuild" your injectors, many offer exchange service too.
    I my have a set of appropriate cores if you can't find an exchange service and don't want the vehicle down while the service is done.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    2003 z4
    The weird thing is that when it was misfiring and idling rough that the EML light but when I went to plug in my OBD reader to catch it nothing was registered

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and I had some throttle body cleaner that I was spraying around every hose and opening to see if a change in idle speed was detected and there was no change in idle speed so I assume there was no vacuum leaks. Also it only happens on hot starts and cold starts are good so I would assume a vacuum leak to be present in both situations?

My Cars
    95 m3+, 03 ZHP, Mk4 Tdi
    a scan with a bmw scanner would be helpful - as would a smoke test, best testing for vacuum leaks involves a smoke test.
    '95 325iS - auto to manual swap done!

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Using throttle body cleaner to find leaks don't work. They only find Gross leaks, not small ones. Also if you have 5 small leaks, that can equal 1 Gross leak, so find a shop with a smoke test machine.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Go to www.bimrs.org to find a reputable indie shop that specializes in bimmers in your area.

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    +1. OBD codes are useless, at best, and trying to use flammables to find intake leaks went away with carbureted engines/ You need a smoke test with a professional smoke machine, and a scan with a BMW specific scan tool.

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    2003 z4
    I pulled the injector Rail and pressurized the injectors and did find two of them leaking. I ordered a new set of remanufactured injectors and installed them. One of them leaked worse than my original injectors! I'm working on getting them returned

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Slow down a minute, for it would be better to have them sent off to be cleaned. As you are getting 2 new injectors, it will make the motor unbalanced.

This is the best bang for your buck: https://www.rcfuelinjection.com/

I had a set cleaned and balanced by them, as well as several other forum member.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Darin
    Current:
    Past:
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    +1 to RC Injection! This is the best bargain in the automotive world...for $25 per injector, you'll have full before and after reports, and the most perfect injectors possible. If you scratch the cylinder numbers into the injectors before sending them to RC, you will also know exactly which cylinders were likely having problems.

That said: personally, I don't think this is the actual problem. Yes, you should absolutely have the injectors ultrasonically clean and rebuilt and tested at RCI.

But I'm betting that you have an intake leak, and/or a temperature sensor failure. If the engine coolant temp or the intake air temp is grossly incorrect, this would give your trouble.

Connect the car to a good BMW diagnostic scan tool, so you can look at not only the BMW codes, but also the live data for temp sensors and MAF. A smoke test is certainly called for, and servicing the injectors at RCI is a very fine idea!

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwdirtracer View Post
    +1 to RC Injection! This is the best bargain in the automotive world...for $25 per injector, you'll have full before and after reports, and the most perfect injectors possible. If you scratch the cylinder numbers into the injectors before sending them to RC, you will also know exactly which cylinders were likely having problems.

That said: personally, I don't think this is the actual problem. Yes, you should absolutely have the injectors ultrasonically clean and rebuilt and tested at RCI.

But I'm betting that you have an intake leak, and/or a temperature sensor failure. If the engine coolant temp or the intake air temp is grossly incorrect, this would give your trouble.

Connect the car to a good BMW diagnostic scan tool, so you can look at not only the BMW codes, but also the live data for temp sensors and MAF. A smoke test is certainly called for, and servicing the injectors at RCI is a very fine idea!
    Did you notice in the original post that fuel pressure is bleeding of rapidly?

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Yes, I did see that. I have seen dozens of BMWs that lose fuel pressure shortly after shut down, but they run perfectly, and start within one second.

I also saw that the OP smells raw fuel...and hasn't mentioned black smoke. Perhaps a small fuel system leak at the fuel filter?

And, this only happens on a hot start, which leads me to think of the temp sensor or an intake leak.

I'd do a smoke test, look for fuel drip residue underneath, and watch live data for ECT and IAT.

As I said, sending the injectors off to RCI is a wonderful idea -- I've always been very happy with seeing the differences between before and after reports -- usually ~15% difference in the "before", and less than 1/2% difference in the "after".

Absolutely, smelling the dipstick is wise...I usually try to light it on fire, too.
    Last edited by bmwdirtracer; 01-28-2019 at 08:07 PM.

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412