Thread: New battery but which one

My Cars
    325ic

New battery but which one

The battery in my 1995 convertible is dead. It was not the original. Can anyone tell me the sort of battery I need to replace? I will be going to somewhere other than the dealer and if possible I may even get a used one from the Interstate location in Sun Valley. What I don't know is what kind of battery I need. I don't know how batteries are characterised. I realise I will need a certain number of amps, but what physical size do I need to buy to make sure it fits properly. Are they organised by size or shape or something? Is there a sort of model number for batteries?

And if anyone has any other tips, I'd be grateful to hear them.
    Last edited by slamtry; 01-22-2019 at 07:08 PM.

My Cars
    2000 740iL 24,000 miles, 1998 328iC 49,500 miles
    Since you're in the USA, Batteries Plus is going to be your best bet. I have quite a few Bimmers that I've owned since new. The oldest is a 1998 328is convertible, a 2000 740iL and a 2003 X5 4.4.

The batteries from Batteries Plus are as good as or better than from the dealer, way better pricing, and the service (at least at my local stores) is phenomenal. Had a 7 year old Batteries Plus battery die on me last August when it was 119F. Completely my fault, my son's girlfriend was driving it and I hadn't checked the battery condition for several months. When it's very hot, there's no sign of the battery dying it just goes and it's really dead, dead right now!

I bought the battery at the Scottsdale, Arizona store which is the one I tend to go to the most. They offered to install it at no extra charge in the heat. Given that you have to tear the trunk apart and pull up the spare tire and the auto leveling air pump, I said "Have at it boys!" While they did that, I walked over to the local sports bar and bought them a $40 gift certificate for beers after work.

Note that the convertible takes a special battery, which tends to be an order item for most stores. If you go online and order it with local pickup, you save 10% on top of the low Batteries Plus price. If their configurator doesn't pick up your 1995 convertible, call in and have them look it up on your system, give you the Batteries Plus number, thank year, and order online for the 10% discount.

I'm usually not a cheerleader for many stores or brands, but this company has everybody beat, hands down.
    Last edited by GuildenNL; 01-22-2019 at 07:24 PM.

My Cars
    325ic
    Batteries Plus want $150. I will keep looking. Do you know what size it should be?

My Cars
    2000 740iL 24,000 miles, 1998 328iC 49,500 miles
    $195.00 at AutoZone
    $368 at BMW dealer
    $199.99 at Advance Auto Parts
    $166.89 or $139.99 at Batteries Plus

Seems that Bimmers are too expensive for you?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1996 E36 328is
    Usually if you go into a store like AutoZone they can help you find what type of battery you need, I would start there. I would recommend buying a new battery, because used can be unreliable and sketchy. Also, ignore the guy above me, it’s probably that time of the month

My Cars
    98 328IS 03 325xi
    Just make sure the new one has an external vent. There are only a few battery manufacturers in the US, so many are just relabeled. The last 3 I bought were from Batteries Plus and Advance Auto Parts and all three are about the same. $150-$175, the Batteries Plus was the most expensive.

Gave away my BMWs, driving a VW and an Audi now.

My Cars
    1995 318ic

New battery but which one

I put an everstart maxx H6 from walmart in this vert. Say what you want about walmart but they’re all made by the same factory. Paid around $100, never had a problem with one either and it fits fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1997 BMW E36 323i
    Since you're in LA (no cold winter conditions there), I think you could also opt for a smaller capacity (less Ah) one without any problem.. To save some bucks.

You could also pick up one from a local junk yard. Be sure to take along a multimeter. Set it at 20V DC, and put the two leads on the two battery terminals. It should read a healthy 12.5V if charged (don't measure directly after being charged, because then it will register a bit higher; let it settle at least 15 minutes or so before measuring). If you can buy it for say $20-$30 then you can't go wrong.

If it only reads 12.0V then it's either discharged, or if it' charged, then it's a bad battery.

Please note, the 12.5V DC measurement is not a 100% guarantee. Ask for at least a 1-day guarantee. Install it in your car ASAP, and start the engine a couple of times on it. And also turn on all big electric appliances (blower at full power, window defrost, all lights on) and see how the battery handles it. If all seems fine, then it's probably a good battery and you've saved quite some money.

I've had good experiences buying used batteries like that. And especially in warm climates like yours and mine (Canary Islands, Spain) batteries don't suffer that much and can last longer than in cold climates with harsh winter conditions.

Good luck!
    Last edited by ed323i; 01-23-2019 at 08:35 AM.

1997 E36 BMW 323i
    (European) 275k km (171k miles), with following small mods:

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Looks like advance auto parts is a good price, I have one and it's been fine. I got the largest that would actually fit cause it was less$.

Anyway it's 160 and there's a 25% off coupon at retailmenot.
    Attn. NEWBIES: Use the search feature, 98% has already been discussed.
    Click the search button, select "search single content type", select the "e36 sub forum" specifically, try the "search titles" then try the "search entire posts".

My Cars
    325is
    Here is my battery summary for the past 20 years as I recall.

The space for a battery is adaptable in a reg car (not sure on a convertible trunk) Initially a 91 was used with ~600 CA vented and with vibration protection. After a while no store was recommended except a BMW battery. The battery industry made more powerful batteries and some in smaller sizes. The 92 or 49 was a simmilar size but rated higher ~ 650 CA and a 48 was 600CA but in a shorter length package. Did BMW only want the discontinued 91? Interstate continued to make them form BMW. Lucky the E36 has several mounting brackets to hold these shorter or longer batteries. You can put a 98 size battery about 2 inches longer while the 48 fits too about 2 inches shorter. The books never said they were approved but many owners used them vs paying $200+ for a BMW one.

Now for battery designs, the more CA has to be either larger plated or made thinner and possible or the new modern material has improved. I had a 92 worked fine but failed in 5 years, then I put a smaller 48 worked great I just replaced it after 8 years because it was old. Now I have an H7. which is the new name for a 49 sized battery but has over 800CA rating. I also chose an AGM version so no vent tube is needed but can be attached. The larger battery size is now a H8 and the smaller battery is a H6 size. So what works,,, lots of batteries because they all can fit and they all beat the required performance CA needed.

Walmart sold the 48 battery I used back then but they got them from Exide back then now the H6 is a Douglas battery. but the price was $70 but now $110 up. Yes I agree only ~3 mfg brand makes batteries but there could also be 10 factory location so, can you compare the quality? Same with any source you get, who made them and where did they make them. I now have a Sears Die Hard it lasted longer than the store stayed open.
    Last edited by gc325is; 01-23-2019 at 11:15 PM.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    For CA warm weather, I’d buy an H5 or H6. For cold weather, an H6 or H7. H6 seems like a good middle ground. I think H are AGM. If not, I’d pay extra for an AGM if I could. I have 3 BMWs and put AGM in all.