Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread: Speakers whining

My Cars
    2009 BMW 320d

Speakers whining

Hello all,

I have searched through the other topics about speaker whining and I haven't seen another one that fits my situation, so I apologize if this is a constant question here. I don't know much about electronics but I know my way around a car and I'm trying to figure out where to start.

I have a german spec 2009 320d. Since I bought the car, there has been a constant whining noise coming from the speakers. As soon as power goes to the accessories it is there. It comes from all 4 door speakers. It does NOT get louder with increasing RPM -- the telltale sign of alternator whine from what I gather. It doesn't change the sound of music, and it can be drowned out with loud enough music or high enough air conditioning. I don't want to constantly have my music up just to drown out the whine of the speakers.

Any ideas of where to start diagnosing? I haven't done much besides google, google, and google some more.

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Looking at realoem it appears the car has a separate amplifier. Typically, the amp is located in the trunk, though realoem doesn’t show where it’s located. Since youre getting noise from all speakers it could be a defective (noisy) power supply in the amp. Unfortunately the amp has a single connector, so powering the amp with no input from the head unit would be difficult.