Thread: 2015 BMW x1 drivers seat bottom material is cracked

My Cars
    Bmw

2015 BMW x1 drivers seat bottom material is cracked

Hi guys, I bought the 4th BMW and not very happy the 2015 x1, the drivers seat battom (look like leather material) part is cracked and warranty won't cover because car have more then 50k miles.
    BMW want me to do a diagnosis from BMW dealer, the cost $165.00 before they even considering having a discussion about it.
    I would like an advise if is worth spending $165 for the diagnosis, and any of you have an experience with the complaint like this. My advice is, if you own a x1 check your seat the chance is your's may be cracker too.
    I like to post a picture too, but not sure if I can doit.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by Benard; 01-22-2019 at 02:16 PM.

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    You need to have made 10 or 15 posts before you can add a picture. Are you saying the seat cover material is cracked? I’d find an automotive upholstery shop to fix it.

My Cars
    Bmw
    Thanks Marco, but I think you are missing the point. This issue should not happening this is xline trim vehicle and material should be leather as the top part of the seat instead crappier material they used for the battom side of the seat. You would expect this from GM but maybe the BMW is crappie too.
    Thanks again.

My Cars
    535i & 128i
    Quote Originally Posted by Benard View Post
    Hi guys, I bought the 4th BMW and not very happy the 2015 x1, the drivers seat battom (look like leather material) part is cracked and warranty won't cover because car have more then 50k miles.
    BMW want me to do a diagnosis from BMW dealer, the cost $165.00 before they even considering having a discussion about it.
    I would like an advise if is worth spending $165 for the diagnosis, and any of you have an experience with the complaint like this. My advice is, if you own a x1 check your seat the chance is your's may be cracker too.
    I like to post a picture too, but not sure if I can doit.
    Thanks.
    I wouldn't pay for the diagnostic check. If you are going to continue to own used BMWs I would invest in a code scanner. I went with the Foxwell NT520. For $150 it comes with software for one automotive brand. If you have other cars you can add software for $60 per brand. You can scan the various systems of your car and it will not just give you an error code but tell what part you need to fix it. Then you can clear the error code once the car is repaired.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

My Cars
    535i & 128i
    Quote Originally Posted by BullMotorWerks View Post
    I wouldn't pay for the diagnostic check. If you are going to continue to own used BMWs I would invest in a code scanner. I went with the Foxwell NT520. For $150 it comes with software for one automotive brand. If you have other cars you can add software for $60 per brand. You can scan the various systems of your car and it will not just give you an error code but tell what part you need to fix it. Then you can clear the error code once the car is repaired.

Oops. Just reread your post & realized they want to charge you to look at the seat. I'd take it to a reputable upholstery shop.

My Cars
    The problem is you bought a lower end vehicle. In your opinion, the material should be leather, and it's not. BMW has to cut costs somewhere on the lower vehicles to keep costs down, as well as profits up. It's simple supply and demand. Just be glad BMW doesn't offer cloth seats anymore. At least not in the US.

And you don't need to pay them a diagnostic fee to look at your seat and tell you it's ripped. Go to the parts department, with your VIN, and have them give you a price on a new seat upholstery. Then you can probably estimate 3-4 hours labor, at $165/hour to have the dealer replace it. Or take that part to an upholstery shop and pay them to replace it.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician