Thread: Rear Wheel bearing Replacement - $540???

My Cars
    1993 325i Convertible

Rear Wheel bearing Replacement - $540???

Took my ‘04 330i to a shop to take a look at my car because I suspected a bearing to be shot.

The shop determined it was the rear passanger wheel bearing and also noticed i needed my front control arm bushings replaced.

Was quoted approximately $800- $1000 for the whole job.

Came back and let them know I only want the rear wheel bearing replaced (will do bushings myself) and he is quoting me $540
    Not too sure... but that seems outrageous.

He said the job will take “most of the day”
    and that he needed to take it to a machine shop for some reason which adds on an extra $80 to the charge ??? then mumbled something about “try to save you money if we can do it inhouse”

aside from that, I paid $125 for diagnostics and was told that it would pay towards the job... but now he’s telling me that’s only if i got the bushings done as well.

Can someone let me know if this is an expected cost.

I am in Orange County California

My Cars
    99 M3

Rear Wheel bearing Replacement - $540???

Ya, I understand it is not a pleasant job. I think they need a press, slide hammer, and a BFH for installation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bluptgm3; 01-23-2019 at 12:05 AM.

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    If $540 includes the wheel bearing, that's a great price. I'd be charging you that in labor alone at my shop, and we're nowhere near SoCal labor rates.
    Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    2001 525it
    It's a pain in the ass to do it, more so if things are stuck, which more often they are.

My Cars
    2000 E46 328i
    Rear wheel bearings are a royal PITA on these cars so yeah, good price

My Cars
    2002 330Ci, 1995 325is
    It's not that hard on the passenger side. On the driver side you need to drop the exhaust. On the e36 site there are links to videos showing how to do it with Harbor Freight tools. I've done it on both my e36 and e46. They are pretty much the same job on each. The passenger side shouldn't more than two hours.

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    BMW pays (or, "paid" rather) techs 2.5 hours under warranty to do it. I would wager it'll take someone unfamiliar with the process and not in possession of job-specific tools considerably longer.
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    2004 325XI/2008 GL320
    I would not do a rear wheel bearing for less than $540. It can be easy with the right tools, but there always is the giant risk of it going entirely wrong and spending all day on it.

My Cars
    03M3 17M540 18A5SB

Well, it's a $100 part from FCP Euro and a couple hours to install with hand tools.

Quote Originally Posted by hypethiz View Post
    Took my ‘04 330i to a shop to take a look at my car because I suspected a bearing to be shot.

The shop determined it was the rear passanger wheel bearing and also noticed i needed my front control arm bushings replaced.

Came back and let them know I only want the rear wheel bearing replaced (will do bushings myself) and he is quoting me $540

and that he needed to take it to a machine shop for some reason which adds on an extra $80 to the charge ??? then mumbled something about “try to save you money if we can do it inhouse”

aside from that, I paid $125 for diagnostics and was told that it would pay towards the job... but now he’s telling me that’s only if i got the bushings done as well.

No it's not most of the day. You also need a new axle nut...even if you don't have to chisel off the old one they're one time use.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0rNXnAj7IQ

My Cars
    1993 325i Convertible
    hmm you’re all saying it was a good price.
    Well I got a few other quotes and they said they’d do it for approximately $380 (called 3 places).

Called the shop back and they told me I need a new hub. new estimate $800...

After some back and forth they agreed to do the job for $439 out the door (+$125 for diagnostics that I already paid.

Little embarrassed to have haggled so hard with them now but these guys really took care of me in the case and I’m happy.

Thanks guys.

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    Thanks for the update.

My Cars
    07 530i, 08 Acura TL-S
    Quote Originally Posted by hypethiz View Post

Hey guys, this is my first post, so I apologize if this is bad form. In reference to the OP, can you somewhat describe the sound you were experiencing with the rear? I've got a whirring noise that stops when I bank right, and stays the same when I turn left. I know this is typically indicative of a bad bearing, however I've got a small fear of it being the rear differential. Anyone's input is really appreciated. Thanks.