Thread: Brake line near ABS

My Cars
    03' 540i, 05' 545i

Brake line near ABS

Greetings,

Recently, my brake line popped near the ABS device in the engine bay. This caused burnt brake fluid smoke and of course no brakes.
    I was able to get the top portion of the connector detached, but all ive been able to do on the bottom part is put myself into a rage
    I read that some folks went in underneath the car to get to it, but from my vantage, that would require taking apart a lot of the lower parts past the passenger wheel well..
    I'd like to get this handled ASAP as my car has sat for about 2 weeks while i try new tools to get the grip that I needed..

My Cars
    '99 528i/5, '01 Boobaru
    Quote Originally Posted by bimmer7410 View Post
    Greetings,

Recently, my brake line popped near the ABS device in the engine bay. This caused burnt brake fluid smoke and of course no brakes.
    I was able to get the top portion of the connector detached, but all ive been able to do on the bottom part is put myself into a rage
    I read that some folks went in underneath the car to get to it, but from my vantage, that would require taking apart a lot of the lower parts past the passenger wheel well..
    I'd like to get this handled ASAP as my car has sat for about 2 weeks while i try new tools to get the grip that I needed..
    I don't know how different these intermediate lines are on the 540 compared to my 528 but when I replaced mine I had to use flare wrenches (can't remember the metric sizes offhand) for proper grip, and needed two wrenches of different sizes for each end -- one to counterhold. After changing them out, I bled the rear brake calipers and did have a fair amount of air come out.

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Ever hear of crowfoot wrenches? Look em up, pick some up, use an extension and a ratchet with them, cuss no more.
    Set the controls for the heart of the sun

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Another thing, the location of those two rubber brake lines suck. They si right above the catalytic converters, so they dry rot quick. Keep an eye on them on a regular basis. Some of the cheaper brands will dry rot really quick. Spend a bit more and get braided lines from either FCPeuro or ECStuning. FCP will warranty them for life. Braided brake lines will give you more positive solid brake feel as the lines don’t expand. Nothing but solid brake feel.
    Set the controls for the heart of the sun

My Cars
    03' 540i, 05' 545i
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmrMeUpSnotty View Post
    Ever hear of crowfoot wrenches? Look em up, pick some up, use an extension and a ratchet with them, cuss no more.
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmrMeUpSnotty View Post
    Another thing, the location of those two rubber brake lines suck. They si right above the catalytic converters, so they dry rot quick. Keep an eye on them on a regular basis. Some of the cheaper brands will dry rot really quick. Spend a bit more and get braided lines from either FCPeuro or ECStuning. FCP will warranty them for life. Braided brake lines will give you more positive solid brake feel as the lines don’t expand. Nothing but solid brake feel.
    Funny enough, when perusing the tools sections in multiple stores, I nearly bought them but couldnt figure out how they would fully help me reach the area. An extension totally slipped my mind. Much appreciated!
    As for the part, I already ordered one..but since its likely to degrade and need to be replaced again within a year or two, ill look into that. Thanks again

My Cars
    1998 528i 5-spd 102K
    Actually, if you buy BMW OEM or ATE brake hoses, they should last some 80K-100K.
    Short trips and summer heat accelerate the problem though.

Anyway, I wrote a detailed overhaul of the brake system and 6 hoses a while back.
    All tricks are in this DIY.

DIY: 1998 BMW 528i Brake Hydraulic System Overhaul (6 Hoses, Caliper Seals/Boots)
    https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=538290