Thread: need advise used 05' 525i

My Cars
    audi a6 , j30

need advise used 05' 525i

hey guys ,

im sort of new to this communnity . my son and I are looking at this used vehicle body and paint still pretty nice , interior soso
    here are the main issues ; burning oil smell , CCC screen blank - did some research thinking its going to need a new MPM unit, also airbag warning sign on , and tire pressure warning too , service engine soon code pulled p0303 cylinder 3 misfire tetected
    milaege on car 154309
    they are asking 2995.00 what's a fair price for this vehicle ? is it worth it ?

any input appreciate it ..

My Cars
    1987 M6
    For a car of that age/miles, with issues already to be any kind of a good buy, you need to be a mechanic with diagnostic computer, tools, and experience to work on a modern BMW. Otherwise, you should not buy the car.

At stated mileage, with unknown history, I could see some major labor over the next year or two for big issues. In my area, that would be upwards of $175 an hour, and $250 an hour at the dealership. If you are buying a "cheap" BMW, it is cheap for a reason. If it helps, I did find almost exactly what you describe (but no problems/issues) for $3500. If you can find that on the market, $2995 is absolutely not a good deal. What you found sounds like a $1000 mechanic special to me.

If have a nearby shop you trust that could work on it, buy something that does not already have potentially expensive issues showing, with less miles. BMW's are a pleasure to drive, but very expensive to have someone else work on for you.

Jose
    1987 M6
    Livin the dream!

My Cars
    audi a6 , j30
    Gracias Dahose for your helpful advise .

I've worked on 05' 325 before and audi , jaguar currently
    sorry I should have mention that , I have INPA also different obdii scaners . I m planning on doing all the work my self replacing coil packs or spark plugs
    finding oil leak and replacing seals /gasket or other engine component causing the leak! the only thing that worries me its the CCC screen blank , I heard the there is module goes bad MPM
    in the trunk . does that need to be programmed ?
    I was thinking around $1900 to offer since I m doing most of the work . its for my son we are working with a budget of around 2400 total

My Cars
    2001 525it
    If the car has a sos module if it goes bad it can take down the ccc, it that was happening you could bypass it with the optical loop, something to look into.
    Last edited by jclausen; 01-22-2019 at 10:22 AM.

My Cars
    1987 M6
    Well then, you made this a different conversation jaimster. The mechanicals in the E60/61 are solid, it's the electrics that can give you fits. I think $1900 would probably be a reasonable number. If you know INPA, and can dig into things, you are golden. I would expect that the SOS module would throw an error if it failed, though. Are you able to run a full code read before purchase? The diagnostic forum on the site can provide lots of help. I expect you would get some good feedback on any codes that kick up. If you saw lots of minimally problematic codes, that could be a good negotiation tool too.

If the CCC were ok, but the screen is what failed, I would consider replacing with one of the newer Android based units. They give you touch screen, and work with existing iDrive controls/menu's, but they also give you all the latest car functions. I installed an Android head unit in my other "non-computerized" car and it is an awesome thing! Although I really need to learn my INPA system better, so I can re-code our E61. It currently doesn't have the aux input active, and an Android conversion MUST use the aux. input.

At any rate, sounds like you have a decision to make, but are better equipped to make it now.

Jose
    1987 M6
    Livin the dream!

My Cars
    audi a6 , j30
    appretiate it guys !

just texted the seller the offer which its the most we are willing to pay . can you guys explain the components on the CCC system , is the screen a separate componnent ? how about the micro power module or MPM or SOS
    sorry just dont know excatly how this system works.??

My Cars
    2001 525it
    The screen is just the screen the ccc is the part that is connected to cd slot, I have never had to replace a screen yet
    Last edited by jclausen; 01-23-2019 at 11:56 AM.

My Cars
    1987 M6
    As I understand the CCC, the head unit is the "brains". The screen is truly just a display. A used CCC controller is pretty pricy at $500 or so. A lot of people will talk about upgrading to a CIC, but that looks to cost around $2000 by the time you are done.

https://www.bimmer-tech.net/shop/bmw...ation-retrofit

I say replace the CCC if necessary, ensure aux. is enabled, and install a connector if necessary. Then you can use your phone for the fancy functions, or upgrade to an Android head unit if you want more farkles in the car.

Jose
    1987 M6
    Livin the dream!

My Cars
    2001 525it
    Check with bav tek and see if they repair the ccc

My Cars
    audi a6 , j30
    hey guys ,

I waited a few weeks for the seller to decide , he turned me down he wants 2600 which I don't think the car its worth it condition and cost to get it in good working order . so we ended up buying a volvo c70 .
    many thanks to all of you helping me through the process , learning experience thank you all again !

My Cars
    '07 530i and '07 328xit
    Smart move. Had 3 e60's and still own an '07 N52. I'm a good DIY and have done all my own work for 30 years. A used '05 engine at 155K miles, with an unknown background, is a money sink, even if you're only buying parts.