Thread: Pulsing/Jerking at Idle

My Cars
    2001 325i Sedan

Pulsing/Jerking at Idle

Hey,

I bought my 2001 325i with 167,000 miles on it auto transmission. When I first got it a couple weeks ago it had a gnarly jerking and pulsing feel when idling in drive. In park or neutral it is still there but barely. The idle is about 500-600 and doesn’t jump around though. I should note the transmission shifts extremely well.

I had multiple misfires and took out the plugs. Changed the plugs to NgK Lasers and the coils to Orion Tech. The coils were new and I got all 6 for $40 so I was like sure why not try that before spending a lot more on Bosch or whatever. Coils/plus seem to have fixed the misfires. I also changed the oil to Castro’s high mileage 5-30 full synthetic EDGE K&N filter. Changed the Air filter as well.

I changed the intake boots boots on both locations from the Maf and Throttle. Also swapped in a Disa valve from the junk yard because it looked to be newer and the flap and diaphragm worked really well. That helped my power loss a lot and it seems to be pulling much harder than when I first got it.

All the changes I’ve made so far helped the jerking/pulsing at idle but it’s still there. I know there could be vacuum leaks in a few other areas but does anybody know if an oil pump issue could be the cause? I did get (2) codes when I scanned the engine after clearing them a week before.

Code 1 is p1353 (I think) which stated cylinder (6) had a misfire. I will swap coil five with six to see if I just got a bad coil since Orion Tech is cheap.

Code 2 was For the Maf. P0102 which states the Mass or Airflow “A” circuit is low. Would this be the cause of the jerking? The jerking isn’t that bad it was way worse before. But I’m guessing Maf sensors can gradually get worse? I cleaned the sensor with Maf cleaner really well. I tried three different Mafs from the junk yard and all cut the engine off when I let off the gas. I’m assuming these sensors have a spectrum of functionality. I’m thankful for any responses!
    Last edited by BooYahMofo; 01-21-2019 at 10:12 AM.

My Cars
    E21, E46

Pulsing/Jerking at Idle

You might have a vacuum leak however get crc maf cleaner at a parts store and clean the maf with it. Do not use brakekleen.

Then clean your idle control valve with brakekleen. It is clean when you don't see anymore residue and when you hold it in your hand and rock it back and forth it will click or clank when clean.

If this doesnt fix your issue check gor vacuum leaks and you could try a spare maf from a yard.

As far as cylinder 6 swap your coil packs to see if the misfire follows the coil pack.
    Last edited by RobertDenali; 01-21-2019 at 11:26 PM.

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Ge rod of those aftermarket coils. The only coils that belong in that engine are made by either Bosch or Bremi.

The first step in diagnosing a problem is to scan both the engine computer (DME) and the transmission computer (EGS) for codes. An obd2 reader won’t read the EGS.