Thread: Time for a slush change

moroza is offline MORΩN ΛABIA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E34T

Time for a slush change

My 525iT's slushbox was allegedly rebuilt "recently" as of a couple of years ago. I hate automatics, but this one works fine and I don't have the resources for even a stock 5-speed manual swap, let alone the 6-speed it deserves, so it's best to take care of it in the meantime. Were it original, I'd go "f--k not with", but I figure it hasn't been too long since its last change, so I bought two gaskets and a filter... now what about ATF? Any recommendations? All I've ever needed ATF for was steering fluid, and just went with whatever was cheap, but this is a fussier machine.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Is that the GM A4S270/310R ?
    Black label on the pan or green label?
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    GM trans? Dexron
    Don't forget to drop and clean the front O/D section oil pan. The gasket for it needs to be ordered separately, doesn't come with "kits"

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    way too many
    ditto, Dexron. Spring for the extra bucks and get full synthetic i.e. Amsoil, Mobil 1, Redline, etc.

Application chart:

http://www.nmia.com/~dgnrg/SD92-113.pdf
    ​"The US Olympics bobsled team has renamed their sled 'Biden' because nothing has taken America downhill faster"

TheStigg (aka "gale")
    92 735i 5-spd, turbo pending
    89 535i 5-spd (may she rest in pieces)
    94 325ic 5-spd
    87 325is

moroza is offline MORΩN ΛABIA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E34T
    I hadn't actually looked at the label, but assumed it's Dexron. I was asking for a product recommendation. Yes, I separately ordered the front gasket.

Is the likelihood of transmission seal leaks from switching to synthetic comparable to that with engines? I'd like to give it high-quality oil but damned if I have to replace the input seal shortly after.

My Cars
    way too many
    Well, might just have to roll the dice on that one. I believe all current flavors of Dexron which are backwards compatible with the Dexron III, which was the original spec for your trans, will be at least a synthetic blend if not full synthetic. Depending on brand, some Dexron III's back in the day could be synthetic/synthetic blend. If the input seal is an occasional drip, then so be it. On the down side, a pronounced leaky front seal could be a bigger problem as in the 535i/735i ZF 4hp22, which usually leaks because the torque converter journal bearing walks forward and pushes the seal out. Let's hope you don't have to deal with such a scenario in the dead of winter. On the upside, it's an easy fix once the trans is out.
    ​"The US Olympics bobsled team has renamed their sled 'Biden' because nothing has taken America downhill faster"

TheStigg (aka "gale")
    92 735i 5-spd, turbo pending
    89 535i 5-spd (may she rest in pieces)
    94 325ic 5-spd
    87 325is