Thread: Bought a 1999 528iT 5 speed manual

My Cars
    09 M3, 03 M3, 06 330i

Bought a 1999 528iT 5 speed manual

Ok... long story...
    Didn't even plan on buying a touring, but ended buying 2!
    My son needed a car and I was searching for a decent E46. Love that car. I can work on them and have had several... they are reliable for the most part.

I found a very clean 2 owner 2003 325xiT locally, with 122k and in very nice condition. Bought it for 4k. Black auto with cinnamon non sport interior, and permium.
    Needed tires and a DISA valve... runs great.
    While I am talking to the owner (... he was the executor of his neighbors estate) he says I have another car I need to sell.

Well... it was a 1999 528iT 5 speed manual with 53k miles . In outstanding condition. 2 owner.
    Second owner bought it with 22k miles in 2002 and had it serviced at his local BMW dealer. Was originally a southern car (Georgia) All records since 2002, which are few considering the mileage. And the original window sticker is with it. The mats in the car are original and in great shape. Seriously... I know how that foam back peels off...
    Not highly optioned but still very cool...Sienna Red with premium package, glass roof and retractable load floor. And MANUAL TRANSMISSION!

Not one oil leak (odd to see for an M52 of this vintage) and only one small ding on the passenger side lower rear door. The original wheels are in excellent condition as well... no curb rash (how could you with that much side wall sticking out on the 16" tires!)

Only issues I have found are broken front cup holder, center vent has a crack section on the left and the rear hatch red lens light is missing. I plan on replacing all. The rear hatch struts are holding full up but seem a little weak once you pull the hatch down... I know, common issue.

Going to do an oil, trans and diff fluid change, spark plugs, air and cabin filters.
    All the hoses are supple and it runs great.

What else would you do to it? Thinking water pump, aux coolant tank, fan and water pump pulley... just due to age...Other than that...?? I thought coolant hoses too maybe, but they feel and appear fine.

Bill
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by wsybert; 01-20-2019 at 09:53 PM.

My Cars
    528i, 525iT, M5
    That is the find of the week! Congrats

On the list of what to do, I would replace all the fluids and maybe the reservoir, give the brakes a once over and lube all the touch points on the calipers and pads, suspension a visual and alignment, Balance and or replace the tires depending on age and rot. Replace some belts and all the filters (Oil, coolant, diff, and brakes), then I would drive it to see what is weak from sitting so long.
    Again, congrats on the find.
    Last edited by StephenVA; 01-21-2019 at 08:47 AM.
    Current Garage Highlights
    2003 525iT TiSilver
    2002 M5 TiSilver
    1998 528i KASCHMIRBEIGE METALLIC (301) (Goldie)

Former Garage Highlights
    2005 X5 4.8is
    2004 325iTs (2x)
    1973 Pantera L
    1971 Dodge Dart Swinger "Lite Package"
    1970 Dodge Challenger T/A 340 Six Pack Alpine White
    1970 Dodge Challenger T/A 340 Six Pack GoManGo Green
    1969 Road Runner 383
    1968 Barracuda Formula S 340 Sea Foam Green

My Cars
    09 M3, 03 M3, 06 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by StephenVA View Post
    That is the find of the week! Congrats

On the list of what to do, I would replace all the fluids and maybe the reservoir, give the brakes a once over and lube all the touch points on the calipers and pads, suspension a visual and alignment, Balance and or replace the tires depending on age and rot. Replace some belts and all the filters (Oil, coolant, diff, and brakes), then I would drive it to see what is weak from sitting so long.
    Again, congrats on the find.
    Thanks... forgot about the brake fluid. I will also flush coolant. Good ideas. Car sat for a little over a year prior to the previous owners passing. He was 88. So it was driven pretty gingerly in my opinion.
    Suspension looks good. Have in on the lift now. Typical aluminum corrosion on the trans and some surface rust on the diff housing... nothing I am concerned about.
    Plan on getting to the brakes this week.
    Can't wait to drive it.

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    I would look into rebuilding the calipers, saves time while bleeding out and flushing the brake fluid. Thermostat, radiator, and all that known stuff that goes bad, you know, then you can enjoy the car and not be like all these other guys on here, constantly chasing after it, constantly starting the same threads on all the same subjects of known failures....

Congrats on the finding the wagon, looks really good!
    Set the controls for the heart of the sun

My Cars
    09 M3, 03 M3, 06 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmrMeUpSnotty View Post
    I would look into rebuilding the calipers, saves time while bleeding out and flushing the brake fluid. Thermostat, radiator, and all that known stuff that goes bad, you know, then you can enjoy the car and not be like all these other guys on here, constantly chasing after it, constantly starting the same threads on all the same subjects of known failures....

Caliper rebuild. I will look into that once I get to the brakes. I knew this would turn into a "while I am in there" never ending list. Might as well since I really don't plan on running it just yet. I have a winter ride.
    Just ordered most of the cooling items... water pump, aux reservoir, fan, pulley, upper and lower hoses, fan sensor switch, etc... except the radiator. That has some life in it.

I will post up some proper pics once I get some of the maintenance wrapped up and it's not 2 degrees outside!

My Cars
    528i, 525iT, M5

That what makes the forum so fun! Rinse and repeat topics over and over again...
    2003 525iT TiSilver
    2002 M5 TiSilver

Former Garage Highlights
    2005 X5 4.8is
    2004 325iTs (2x)
    1973 Pantera L
    1969 Road Runner 383

My Cars
    4 BMWs.
    Great find!
    2001 Z3 3.0i -Oxford Green/Sandbeige
    2016 428xi -Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 430iC- Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 330it - Melbourne Red/Venetian Beige/Black

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Yeah man! It’s like a freakin broken record in here. You know I’ve never ever started a single freakin thread on here? I play my classic rock records over and over, no broken record, just like to hear the ones I like to hear when I want to hear them, you dig? Moral of the story, STAY ON TOP OF YER E39’s!!! Stephen, you of all peoples already know this, man!

My Cars
    97 528i
    ^^^^^ everything everyone said....lol. The merry-go-round goes 'round..and round.....and round... I'm a touring alumni but I still hang around this crowd...

Welcome dubya-to-tha-Sy to-tha-beee-r-teeee...!

VERY nice find on both cars.
    "two wrongs don't make a right...only three lefts do...."
    '79 Euro 635csi - gone and regretting it...
    '89 gsxr-750 - former traffic knife
    '97 528i sedan - holding on strong...(just sold after 16 years of ownership - sad day)
    '03 Euro 525it - something about a famous dolphin.....

'06 Mercury Grand Marquis (don't ask....it gets the job done....)
    '84 Specialized Allez - full Campagnolo Super Record
    '99-ish Cannondale CAAD4
    "Stinky" - Kona Stinky Five
    '86 528e
    2008 E70 X5 3.0

My Cars
    1995 525i/5
    Dang, that is awesome! Manual, super clean, and a red wagon? You scored nicely. I would just keep up on the maintenance and try to keep the car looking as nice as possible, that's a rare survivor you have there! Protect that paint as much as you can, that color is not known for holding up very well in the sun (every Sienna Red/Royal Red E38/E39 here in Arizona is peeling badly).
    1995 525i 5-speed - Thread

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Every one I’ve seen out here has gone bad too. So it’s not just the hot climate that kills that color. Reds are known to fade the fastest.

My Cars
    99 528i/5, 05 ZHP conv
    Every one I’ve seen out here has gone bad too. So it’s not just the hot climate that kills that color. Reds are known to fade the fastest.
    Great find...I don't need another E39, but I would have jumped on that one.

Every Sienna Red e39 I have seen - and I have only seen a few - in New England is completely rusted out. Keep that beauty out of the road salt!
    I don't believe paint color contributes to rust out risk, just a coincidence..

Does it have air suspension or that sliding rear cargo tray?

My Cars
    E12, E12, E36, E39
    53K? I thought it was a miracle when I found my current 525it with only 82K on it 4 years ago. Excellent find!

With that mileage I'd just change fluids, oil, coolant and brake and drive that sucker! Cooling system seems to be good for about 100K on the 6's so I'd plan on it at 90 or 100K, but for now I'd just drive it.
    98 328is
    02 525ita
    80 528i
    81 528ia
    and decades of owning and driving BMWs

My Cars
    528i, 525iT, M5
    Yeah man! It’s like a freakin broken record in here. You know I’ve never ever started a single freakin thread on here? I play my classic rock records over and over, no broken record, just like to hear the ones I like to hear when I want to hear them, you dig? Moral of the story, STAY ON TOP OF YER E39’s!!! Stephen, you of all peoples already know this, man!

Best Practices: Walk through the vehicle one section at a time, clean, confirm performance. lube, wipe down, replace ANYTHING required, and enjoy. When in doubt replace it, especially in the braking department, as what is your life worth? If you can not stop effectively it will not matter how fast you got to the scene of the accident, your ass is still involved.
    2003 525iT TiSilver
    2002 M5 TiSilver

Former Garage Highlights
    2005 X5 4.8is
    2004 325iTs (2x)
    1973 Pantera L
    1969 Road Runner 383

My Cars
    09 M3, 03 M3, 06 330i
    This was a find of a lifetime... just right place and right time.
    There is some paint etching on the hood and roof... i think I can get it out with some paint correction. I plan on a ceramic coat as well.
    Other than that, no issues with paint. I think he had it parked under some pine trees for a bit... a lot of sap on it now. Will take some time to bring her back to her full beauty. It will be garaged as well... so I am not too worried about the paint from this point.

Very little surface rust underneath. I plan on taking what I can apart to asses more areas... fender liners and some of the panels underneath... maybe even the gas tank straps. They are the worst part of corrosion.
    Crazy... even the body plugs underneath are not rusted.
    Must have lived a pretty easy life.

With that mileage I'd just change fluids, oil, coolant and brake and drive that sucker! Cooling system seems to be good for about 100K on the 6's so I'd plan on it at 90 or 100K, but for now I'd just drive it.

Too late... already ordered the parts. I was thinking that, but what the hell... she'll be good for a while now.

Welcome dubya-to-tha-Sy to-tha-beee-r-teeee...!
    VERY nice find on both cars.
    Lol... thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by effduration View Post
    Great find...I don't need another E39, but I would have jumped on that one.

Every Sienna Red e39 I have seen - and I have only seen a few - in New England is completely rusted out. Keep that beauty out of the road salt!
    I don't believe paint color contributes to rust out risk, just a coincidence..

Does it have air suspension or that sliding rear cargo tray?
    It will be a fair weather car, so no salt. And no on suspension, yes on sliding cargo tray.
    Last edited by wsybert; 01-22-2019 at 03:20 PM.

My Cars
    2002 330i, 2000 528iT
    Hey, congrats on your purchase! Very nice car.

I too recently bought a 528 wagon, auto though with 141k. Did a lot of work to it, including all new suspension components at each corner.

I would consider replacing these parts:

Full cooling system rebuild - water pump, thermostat, radiator, all hoses.
    Oil filter housing gasket.
    Vanos seals, which can be done in conjunction with a new valve cover gasket.
    Spark plugs
    Inspect vacuum lines
    Fuel filter
    Brake, diff, transmission flush
    Inspect rear subframe bushings (they are good for about 100k) symptoms are slamming sound in the rear.
    Inspect suspension components

Pretty reliable cars if you address these issues.
    | 2002 330i 5-SPD - 101k | 2000 528iT - 146k |
    My E46 Maintenance Thread http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1124584

My Cars
    BMWs: 1; MINIs: 1
    Mechanically reliable, sure, but don't forget about hatch struts, twisted seats, bad display pixels, headlight adjusters, A/C drains, door vapor seals, etc ...
    I like the unicorns.
    '99 Z3 Coupe - Jet Black/Black (1-of-114)
    '99 M Coupe - Estoril Blue/Black (1-of-82)
    '03 540iT - Sterling Gray/Black (1-of-24)
    '16 Z4 sDrive35i - Estoril Blue/Walnut (1-of-8)

My Cars
    2003 E46 M3 / E30 Vert
    Woah what a find!!!

Here is what I addressed on my 99' 528iT (during my ownership) that I would reccomend replacing.

- rear air bags (If you're on SLS)
    - oil filter housing gasket (nasty leak, $5 gasket)
    - obvious cooling items
    - hatch shocks (make a world of difference when replaced, I have a DIY on here, feel free to PM me Q's)
    - rear subframe bushings (can be done in a sunday afternoon, M5 Jed has a rental program available for the proper tool)
    - control arms / bushings & ball joints, time wears on them the same despite the low mileage
    - shifter bushing / e60 shifter upgrade. The stock throw on the e39 is rather long, and worn bushings only add to a rather ambiguous shifting experience. Throw an oem weighted ZHP knob on as well, they are peculiarly cheap atm.

My Cars
    09 M3, 03 M3, 06 330i

Update

Quick update...
    Changed all the fluids (except coolant), replaced all the rotors and lubricated the calipers. Replaced the rear hatch and glass struts. Just replaced the rear subframe bushings. Had an odd vibration at 70 and would vibrate briefly over sharp bumps. New bushings fixed all of that. Plus I had new BFGoodrich Comp 2 AS tires installed. Really liking those.

Did some paint correction and some cosmetic mods. Replaced the center HVAC vent (was cracked) and the front and rear cup holders (broken). Plus a thorough cleaning by removing the fender liners and getting into about every crack and crevice. Also reconditioned the headlights and replaced the adjusters (most were broken).
    There is absolutely no rust anywhere on this car... amazing for it's age.

What a great road car. This car is so smooth and easy to drive. Not the power I like, but I have an M3 for that.

(The BBS LM's in the pic are my neighbors... was thinking about buying them, but like the 16" as a daily.)

Still plan on doing cooling system update and a few gaskets (I have all the parts already...), but there is no need at this time... just enjoying driving it now.

Bill
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    540it, 540sedan, 540-6 s
    Not enough room for past/present garage

My Cars
    09 M3, 03 M3, 06 330i
    Yep. Did all the work to it and then decided I have too many...