Thread: Dejected and disgusted.

My Cars
    2001 325i, 2011 328i

Dejected and disgusted.

Hello everyone. I hope I'm in the correct forum.

I own two Bimmers so should have probably signed up before this. I have spent the last two days in my unheated garage trying to figure out why my wife's 2011 328i has no heat. The coolant temp is high 90's, the little wheeley thingy between the vents is turned towards red, and my coolant is full and the system bled. I backflushed the heater core today with compressed air and hot water. It seemed to be sluggish at first and I thought I saw some white chalky stuff come out at first and then it seemed to flow better. We have tepid air coming out of the driver side, (dual climate control) and freezing cold on the passenger side. Wife thinks that the air might be slightly warmer now than before the flush. So from my reading of the site I have concluded that I have a plugged heater core. I pulled my radio and it is apparently a Valeo HVAC system. I am going to order the core tomorrow and hope it shows by Friday. I have a few questions.

Should I order OEM?. Are the $100 ones at Bavauto any good?

Has anyone tried CLR on one of these heater cores if it is indeed calcium buildup?

If it is a problem that tends to be common or happen repeatedly would putting an in line screen filter similar to ones that farmers use on their spayer rigs? I think they run like 20 psi so it should handle the pressure, the only question would be if they can handle the heat.

Am I missing something and it is not the heater core?

Thanks in advance. Wife is giving me the hairy eyeball so I need to wrap this up.

Erik

My Cars
    I would definitely say it's the heater core. I've tried flushing them before with very little success, but have never tried CLR.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    2001 525it
    That does suck

My Cars
    2001 325i, 2011 328i
    Has anyone has attempted to place an inline filter in the heater hose that supplies water to the heater core to prevent this from reoccurring. If this is such a common problem, has anyone come up with a preventive solution besides coolant changes? The ones they use on spayers withstand 70 psi, the one I found looks like it is good for 150psi. For $10 I think I will give it a shot so I don't have to go though this again. I have attempted to attach a picture without success and cut and paste didn't work either. I ordered a heater core and plan to attempt it this weekend. If anyone has any pointers on the project, I am all ears. Also if someone could point me to a good DIY on it that would be appreciated.

Thanks again.

http://www.spraysmarter.com/strainer...SABEgJ4a_D_BwE