Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Transmission Dead, Planning Rebuild, Questions About Upgrades

My Cars
    96 740il, XJS & CBR1000F
    Quote Originally Posted by racer2086 View Post
    It's just so weird to me that something like that could happen on a fresh build. I can't help but think there is something else to this that we/they are missing. Of course, I didn't drive the car, so I'm just guessing at this point. But I know the electrical with these transmissions can be very touchy, which makes me wonder if it is something with the connector under the car, adaptations, or something. We will know soon enough.
    Wondering myself, see if you can get Ericksons to make a explanation that you can post here. They are great guys that shoot straight and care about their reputation so If you point them to this thread I'm sure they will give a nice concise explanation for us.
    The World is ruled by Kings and Queens that blind your eyes and steal your dreams.
    When answering my questions please use a qualifier if you are not sure.
    The more I work on this car the less I respect German engineering.
    When you speak in Absolutes you are always wrong!

Semper Fi

My Cars
    2001 740i Sport
    Don't forget, most mechanical or electronic parts fail for one of a couple of reasons: It was new and defective, so it failed early in life. It was old and failed by wearing out. Some external factor broke it.

So a defective part making it into the rebuild is possible, but we won't know until they've had a look in the trans.

My Cars
    e34,e38,e39,e46,e70,e90
    After my home trans rebuild, the TFS would come on sporadically and I'd reset it with INPA until the adaptions caught up and worked the trans well. I think the manual requires you to clear the adaptations when a new trans or valve body is installed. Since they are sending a new trans to you, I'd install and clear the adaptations. It will drive like crap for the first 50 miles, slow accelerations up to 70 mph and coast down to slow speeds several times to begin with, Increase the rate of accels and decels and the adaptations will slowly catch up. Be ready to reset the TFS in case it lights off. As you drive it, get more aggressive until you catch up to your normal driving style. Reset TFS until the trans learns the "new you"/

Good Luck

02 e39 540i Sport (Son), 01 DINAN 7 (Me), 12 e70 X5 x35i (Mrs), 95 e34 525i (Daughter 2), 01 e46 325Ci vert (Daughter 1)

My Cars
    98 740il, 00 540i,04 ZHP
    Do you think the other transmission is just in need of adaptation reset? And then just drive it for a bit?

It drove great in the beginning. My dad drove it a little harder a week later then my mom took it the next day and noticed the weird shifting.
    Last edited by racer2086; 04-21-2019 at 05:29 PM.
    '98 740il | 9/97 build | schwarz 2 | sandbeige | 5AT | 270k
    '04 330i ZHP sedan | Mystic blue | Alcantara | 6MT | 120k
    '00 540i sport | Titanium silver | Black | 5AT | 152k
    '85 Mustang GT convertible | Medium charcoal metallic | Gray | 5MT | 216k | one owner, all original

mods: m-pars | Bilsteins & B&G springs | ValentineOne | StealthOne
    retrofits: full nav | MKIV | bluetooth TCU | BM53 w/ AUX input | video module w/ AV input & backup cam | oem sirius xm | xenon | shades | PDC | rain sensor | BMW DWS TPMS | lighted door handles | front seat heaters | heated steering wheel | euro rear fog lights | ski pass | folding mirrors

My Cars
    e34,e38,e39,e46,e70,e90
    I would try it, they're sending you a new one, might as well try it and save the headache of pulling it and install.

02 e39 540i Sport (Son), 01 DINAN 7 (Me), 12 e70 X5 x35i (Mrs), 95 e34 525i (Daughter 2), 01 e46 325Ci vert (Daughter 1)

My Cars
    98 740il, 00 540i,04 ZHP
    Well it's at the shop. I mentioned it and they said everything looked good with the values and such communicating with Eriksson the whole time. Not sure if I should just let them do what they want or mention it. I've probably called them enough.
    '85 Mustang GT convertible | Medium charcoal metallic | Gray | 5MT | 216k | one owner, all original

retrofits: full nav | MKIV | bluetooth TCU | BM53 w/ AUX input | video module w/ AV input & backup cam | oem sirius xm | xenon | shades | PDC | rain sensor | BMW DWS TPMS | lighted door handles | front seat heaters | heated steering wheel | euro rear fog lights | ski pass | folding mirrors

My Cars
    750IL/540iT/R53/E46Vert
    I don't agree on the Adaptations. you should have gotten essentially a new 5hp24. These guys are ZF, something is wrong with what came back. If you search back in the forum - this goes way back, Edwin had ZF service the 5hp24 in his car, he drove there, and drove home. Cool writeup. Your build should have been more comprehensive, but again, it's like getting a new box.

My Cars
    98 740il, 00 540i,04 ZHP
    Called the shop. They tried it all. Adaptation reset, doing the adaptation drive. There is just something wrong with the transmission. Will know more in a couple weeks. I can always call Eriksson after and see what they found once they tear it down.

My Cars
    2001 740i Sport
    Called the shop. They tried it all. Adaptation reset, doing the adaptation drive. There is just something wrong with the transmission. Will know more in a couple weeks. I can always call Eriksson after and see what they found once they tear it down.
    Apologies for reopening an old thread. I am dealing with a P0740 code in my 04/99 built 750iL with a 5HP30 tranny. I've taken the car to a couple of different transmission shops in my area and all indications are that I will need a new TCC. I am leaning to buy a Revmax unit as a replacement. This thread about Eriksson is interesting as they seem to be the go to rebuilder. Can you give us an update on your situation?
    --
    Thanks
    Prakash
    2001 740i Short Sport

My Cars
    98 740il, 00 540i,04 ZHP
    Yes I can. Erickson sent the shop a completely new transmission, torque converter and valve body, which was swapped into my car. I'm 36k miles in and it drives beautifully. No idea what happened to my original transmission. I called Erickson, but they didn't have an answer.

My personal feeling is that these transmissions are touchy and if things aren't perfect, they have weird side effects.

I just dropped the pan in my wife's 540. It had been whining at idle. The previous shop I had working on it when the input shaft seal leaked supposedly used oem filter and fluid. Well, when I dropped the pan, there was a Chinese filter in there. New Filtran filter and 7 liters of ZF fluid and it's silent.

The TCC in my rebuild is working great. Whatever you get will be better than the crap they released when the car was new.

My Cars
    2001 740i Sport
    Thank you for your honest review!!

Yes I can. Erickson sent the shop a completely new transmission, torque converter and valve body, which was swapped into my car. I'm 36k miles in and it drives beautifully. No idea what happened to my original transmission. I called Erickson, but they didn't have an answer.

My personal feeling is that these transmissions are touchy and if things aren't perfect, they have weird side effects.

I just dropped the pan in my wife's 540. It had been whining at idle. The previous shop I had working on it when the input shaft seal leaked supposedly used oem filter and fluid. Well, when I dropped the pan, there was a Chinese filter in there. New Filtran filter and 7 liters of ZF fluid and it's silent.

The TCC in my rebuild is working great. Whatever you get will be better than the crap they released when the car was new.
    --
    Thanks
    Prakash
    2001 740i Short Sport

My Cars
    Bmw 540i 2002 5HP-24
    Whining can be a sign of transmission oil pump starvation. Might have been filter then. I’ve learnt here on the forum that a good quality filter should always be put in when doing a tranny service.
    Last edited by kallekula; 01-20-2023 at 02:36 AM.

My Cars
    2000 BMW 740iL
    ... Erickson sent the shop a completely new transmission, torque converter and valve body, which was swapped into my car. I'm 36k miles in and it drives beautifully. No idea what happened to my original transmission. I called Erickson, but they didn't have an answer.

Hey Ed - thanks for sharing your experience. My transmission has been dead for almost 2 years and I'm almost sure I want to get the car going again.
    I was wondering if I should go for:
    A. having my trans shipped and fixed by Erickson
    OR
    B. buy one from them (and I guess mine will still have to be shipped as core)

If you had to do it all over again, would it be A or B?
    BTW, as a short update, is the trans still running fine? Mileage?

Thank you.
    Mark

My Cars
    98 740il, 00 540i,04 ZHP
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark3377 View Post
    Hey Ed - thanks for sharing your experience. My transmission has been dead for almost 2 years and I'm almost sure I want to get the car going again.
    I was wondering if I should go for:
    A. having my trans shipped and fixed by Erickson
    OR
    B. buy one from them (and I guess mine will still have to be shipped as core)

If you had to do it all over again, would it be A or B?
    BTW, as a short update, is the trans still running fine? Mileage?

Thank you.
    Mark
    Happy to give you an update. I have about 70k on the transmission and everything is going great.

My initial move was to do option A as you stated. I wanted my original transmission rebuilt and re-installed, since I know its history. The shop did that...they removed and shipped my unit out for rebuild and reinstalled it when it came back.

Here's where things get tough to explain in detail. At the time the transmission died, I was visiting my parents while living 4 hours away. I left the car with them during the rebuild and the shop that took care of the car for years. My parents were the ones that picked it up after repair and drove it around some. My dad said the downshifts were hard and harsh, but I never drove the car myself. The shop asked for them to give things a few weeks of driving to see if it gets better.

When my parents told me that it wasn't any different, I asked them to bring the car back to the shop instead of me coming home to pick it up. Erickson sent them a new valve body and they tried numerous things, but in the end Erickson sent them a whole new unit to swap in.

I think you could do either way. I think I just got unlucky and you will probably have good results rebuilding your transmission. If you want numbers matching, get yours rebuilt.

My Cars
    2000 BMW 740iL
    Thanks for the update. Nice to hear that all is good after 70K miles and around 4 years, I guess.
    I'm getting a trans from them and keeping mine for now so I guess I have to come up with a trans as a core and have it shipped or dropped off at their location in CT.
    Anyone have a junk transmission near 06475 zip code? It's just north of Long Island NY.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123