Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Transmission Dead, Planning Rebuild, Questions About Upgrades

My Cars
    98 740il, 00 540i,04 ZHP
    Did you have to run new wires or just swap pins around? I'll start looking
    '98 740il | 9/97 build | schwarz 2 | sandbeige | 5AT | 270k
    '04 330i ZHP sedan | Mystic blue | Alcantara | 6MT | 120k
    '00 540i sport | Titanium silver | Black | 5AT | 152k
    '85 Mustang GT convertible | Medium charcoal metallic | Gray | 5MT | 216k | one owner, all original

mods: m-pars | Bilsteins & B&G springs | ValentineOne | StealthOne
    retrofits: full nav | MKIV | bluetooth TCU | BM53 w/ AUX input | video module w/ AV input & backup cam | oem sirius xm | xenon | shades | PDC | rain sensor | BMW DWS TPMS | lighted door handles | front seat heaters | heated steering wheel | euro rear fog lights | ski pass | folding mirrors

My Cars
    '98 E38 740IL, '01 740i
    Quote Originally Posted by racer2086 View Post
    Did you have to run new wires or just swap pins around? I'll start looking
    I had to swap two pins around and run one wire IIRC.

this is one of the write-ups I used: http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/117920/

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Sabreslight; 02-13-2019 at 02:37 AM.
    TRPCHGE - '01 740i Black/Black 230k'ish - Power folding mirrors, Mk.IV Nav, 16:9, M-pars, Sport seats, Sport wheel, Steptronic, Euro rear fog switch, 2.50" X-Pipe, Shadowline, E53 4.6is Cluster, Lacewood interior, Chromeline, 3.15, Bilstein B6+H&R Stage II's. - SOLD 06/21

BSKCASE - '98 740il Arctic Silver/Black 175k'ish - Face-lifted, 3" Projectors, Shadowline, 01 Tails, Hydro Trunk, Sunshades, 750il Full interior retrofit, Sport Seats, Steptronic, Face-lift Steering Column, X5 Steering wheel, E53 4.6is Cluster, Euro E66 Piano black/Chrome Grab-handles, Chromeline, Suede Pillars/Headliner, Auto wipers/Lights, Lighted Handles interior/Exterior, Dual battery retrofit.

WIP: Custom Style 42 18x9.5" ET12, 18x10.5" ET8, 3.15 LSD Rear diff.

My Cars
    98 740il, 00 540i,04 ZHP
    ^thanks for the info. I get a little lost when it comes to the EGS computers and program numbers and stuff.

The transmission is back and they are replacing the other parts like rear main. I just had him use Genuine BMW parts for the rear main, guibo, etc, as I didn't want to deal with other parts not holding up just to save a few bucks.

He said the coolant plate had coolant crusting all around it, so it was time to do it. But 9 of the bolts broke off the coolant plate in the back, so they had to drill and use time-serts for the new bolts. That is what's going on now. Then the rest should go together, and I'll have my car back. Won't have it till next week though because it's 250 miles away.

Anyone had those bolts break off the coolant plate in the back?
    '85 Mustang GT convertible | Medium charcoal metallic | Gray | 5MT | 216k | one owner, all original

retrofits: full nav | MKIV | bluetooth TCU | BM53 w/ AUX input | video module w/ AV input & backup cam | oem sirius xm | xenon | shades | PDC | rain sensor | BMW DWS TPMS | lighted door handles | front seat heaters | heated steering wheel | euro rear fog lights | ski pass | folding mirrors

My Cars
    2001 740i
    dose bolts broke cause dey prob use a impact on it silly people. done three u gotta use hand tools put A LOT of force and turn slow never had issue breaking even a single one .

My Cars
    '98 E38 740IL, '01 740i
    Quote Originally Posted by Narlift View Post
    dose bolts broke cause dey prob use a impact on it silly people. done three u gotta use hand tools put A LOT of force and turn slow never had issue breaking even a single one .
    Good to know, I'm about to get this done on my 01

TRPCHGE - '01 740i Black/Black 230k'ish - Power folding mirrors, Mk.IV Nav, 16:9, M-pars, Sport seats, Sport wheel, Steptronic, Euro rear fog switch, 2.50" X-Pipe, Shadowline, E53 4.6is Cluster, Lacewood interior, Chromeline, 3.15, Bilstein B6+H&R Stage II's. - SOLD 06/21

BSKCASE - '98 740il Arctic Silver/Black 175k'ish - Face-lifted, 3" Projectors, Shadowline, 01 Tails, Hydro Trunk, Sunshades, 750il Full interior retrofit, Sport Seats, Steptronic, Face-lift Steering Column, X5 Steering wheel, E53 4.6is Cluster, Euro E66 Piano black/Chrome Grab-handles, Chromeline, Suede Pillars/Headliner, Auto wipers/Lights, Lighted Handles interior/Exterior, Dual battery retrofit.

My Cars
    1997 740IL (E38)
    ^thanks for the info. I get a little lost when it comes to the EGS computers and program numbers and stuff.

The transmission is back and they are replacing the other parts like rear main. I just had him use Genuine BMW parts for the rear main, guibo, etc, as I didn't want to deal with other parts not holding up just to save a few bucks.

He said the coolant plate had coolant crusting all around it, so it was time to do it. But 9 of the bolts broke off the coolant plate in the back, so they had to drill and use time-serts for the new bolts. That is what's going on now. Then the rest should go together, and I'll have my car back. Won't have it till next week though because it's 250 miles away.

Anyone had those bolts break off the coolant plate in the back?
    I had this happen with the rear coolant plate bolts on my 1997. I wasn't using air tools either. I was using hand tools being especially careful because I had the coolant problem crusting around the plate. Pretty much with a little bit of force, the bolt sheared off. So obviously the bolts corroded and were weak..So every case is going to be different.

My Cars
    98 740il, 00 540i,04 ZHP
    For sure. I can totally picture those things totally corroded in place and the bolt head snapping right off. I'm sure they didn't use any heavy grade stuff in that area due to light torque they are probably in at.

They got it all done. Transmission apparently shifts great. It needs a brake flush, which I'll have them do while there.

My steering box has play in it, and there's a place down in Miami that rebuilds them. Thinking about getting that done while doing all this crap. Waiting on a quote. Car will drive like a dream if all this is done together.

My Cars
    740iL (E38 '01)
    For sure. I can totally picture those things totally corroded in place and the bolt head snapping right off. I'm sure they didn't use any heavy grade stuff in that area due to light torque they are probably in at.

They got it all done. Transmission apparently shifts great. It needs a brake flush, which I'll have them do while there.

My steering box has play in it, and there's a place down in Miami that rebuilds them. Thinking about getting that done while doing all this crap. Waiting on a quote. Car will drive like a dream if all this is done together.
    Good progress! Care to say how much was the transmission rebuild? I have no issues with transmission (yet) but needs a new torque converter. Hesitating if rather doing whole rebuild. Thx

My Cars
    98 740il, 00 540i,04 ZHP
    It's all done. I am forgoing the steering box stuff for now. I've taken enough time on their lift shipping my transmission for rebuild that they just wanted to put a reman one in for $1200. I'll take mine out myself and send it for rebuild.

All said and done I'm paying $5k. Really its $4700 without tax
    The transmission rebuild was ~$3300 fully redone by Erikkson, including torque converter and R&R labor
    $450 shipping to get it to CT and back (not sure if some labor was in that too or what).
    Then those 9 bolts broke, so another $500 in parts and labor to drill out, time-sert, and reinstall.
    New rear main, coolant gasket, guibo, Lifeguard 5 fluid another $300
    I had them do a brake fluid flush while there $133

Overall, very reasonable for the work done I think.

I can't wait to drive it. And then I can't wait to get that box rebuilt! The steering has been sloppy for a long time. I didn't want to mess with the adjustment, since that is precisely set and messing with it can cause binding and premature wear of the box probably leading to its total demise.

My Cars
    740iL (E38 '01)
    It's all done. I am forgoing the steering box stuff for now. I've taken enough time on their lift shipping my transmission for rebuild that they just wanted to put a reman one in for $1200. I'll take mine out myself and send it for rebuild.

All said and done I'm paying $5k. Really its $4700 without tax
    The transmission rebuild was ~$3300 fully redone by Erikkson, including torque converter and R&R labor
    $450 shipping to get it to CT and back (not sure if some labor was in that too or what).
    Then those 9 bolts broke, so another $500 in parts and labor to drill out, time-sert, and reinstall.
    New rear main, coolant gasket, guibo, Lifeguard 5 fluid another $300
    I had them do a brake fluid flush while there $133

Overall, very reasonable for the work done I think.

I can't wait to drive it. And then I can't wait to get that box rebuilt! The steering has been sloppy for a long time. I didn't want to mess with the adjustment, since that is precisely set and messing with it can cause binding and premature wear of the box probably leading to its total demise.
    Thanks, can't wait to hear your experience with the new transmission!
    ECS still appears to have the steering box, it's expensive: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...x/32131095187/

My Cars
    98 740il, 00 540i,04 ZHP
    Holy moly that's a lot of money for a steering box. Not a chance I'm spending that lol

My Cars
    2001 740i Sport
    I found a forum post on rebuilding the ZF steering boxes. Sounds like getting the parts is a bit of a headache, but possible. It also might be able to find a shop that can either rebuild it or will sell you a rebuilt box.

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...F-steering-box

My Cars
    98 740il, 00 540i,04 ZHP
    Wow great thread you linked. I bookmarked it. A little more work that I'm willing to put in, so I'll find someone who can rebuild it, especially since you can't get rebuild kits for it.

My Cars
    98 740il, 00 540i,04 ZHP
    My parents have been driving the car around. Say it drives very smooth and shifts incredibly smooth. I did not ask the shop if they cleared the transmission adaptations. I feel awkward calling to ask. Should I just clear them when I get the car back or just let it go? PS: the invoice said the was an SES light (for the trans failure). They got two codes: a power output code for the trans and EWS code they cleared and it didn't come back. That makes me think they hooked the computer up, but no idea they cleared the adaptations. What would you do?

My Cars
    '98 E38 740IL, '01 740i
    My parents have been driving the car around. Say it drives very smooth and shifts incredibly smooth. I did not ask the shop if they cleared the transmission adaptations. I feel awkward calling to ask. Should I just clear them when I get the car back or just let it go? PS: the invoice said the was an SES light (for the trans failure). They got two codes: a power output code for the trans and EWS code they cleared and it didn't come back. That makes me think they hooked the computer up, but no idea they cleared the adaptations. What would you do?
    If the car is driving smooth with no issues I wouldn't worry about it too much.

My Cars
    98 740il, 00 540i,04 ZHP
    Some sad news to update on this. I still don't have the car back. My parents continued to drive it around a bit until I could get down to pick it up. 2 weeks ago, it started clunking when shifting at lower speeds. I had them bring it right back to the shop.

They drove it, verified there is an issue and called Eriksson. Eriksson sent down a new valve body, thinking it was a pressure issue. I drove down last Friday to visit my parents and hopefully pick up the car after the new valve body install. But apparently it was shifting worse with the new valve body. To where it was shifting hard even at higher RPMs, which the previous VB wasn't doing. So they are keeping it for now. Eriksson wants them to measure some bore sizes or something.

WTF is going on? Why would the transmission work great for a couple weeks and then start clunk shifting?

My Cars
    2001 740i Sport
    Maybe a defective seal or something that worked for a bit and then failed?

My Cars
    98 740il, 00 540i,04 ZHP
    They think something came loose inside. They are sending a new transmission. Should be there next week. This stuff only happens to me

Are these units serialized to the car? Not that this thing is a collectors item, but do the transmissions match to the VIN or vehicle?

My Cars
    740iL (E38 '01)
    Man...so sorry to read this. I was waiting for an update, curious how great the updated transmission performs. You paid a premium to have Eriksson do it and now this. Really hope the second one will work.

My Cars
    98 740il, 00 540i,04 ZHP
    I know. I figured they would be meticulous about the rebuild and it would last another 200k. What I'm wondering is if it is something else. Like with the valve body, I wonder if they're going to swap the transmission and still have the same problem.

My Cars
    2001 740i Sport
    It's possible, but there's also the ever-present risk that even with a meticulous rebuild, etc. it's possible to end up installing a defective part without realizing it until it fails shortly after install.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740iL
    Some of you may remember me having issues a little bit ago. I changed the fluid and filter and things were pretty good until yesterday. I drove to my parents in Ft. Lauderdale, went to get on the highway, it downshifted, and slipped shifting up again. When I got of the highway it was jerking and downshifting hard. Then after a couple lights, it wouldn't move from a stop and went into failsafe.

So anyway, I'm planning on driving my dad's car back to Tampa and having it rebuilt maybe by a local shop here. (No don't want a 6-speed, like the Auto for traffic).
    Contact: https://zftranspart.pinnaclecart.com// they are great people and will help you with what you need and supply a factory rebuild transmission I believe for ~$4,000. This includes a rebuild valve body and a 1 or 2 year warranty, I can't remember which one. Lastly, in my opinion, $4k is a steal due to the solenoids for these transmissions being nearly ~$2,000 if you wanted to just replace them. The only downside is that you may have to ship them your transmission if they don't already have a core, but IIRC it only adds another ~$250 - $500 shipping and handling.
    Last edited by Bell740il; 04-18-2019 at 12:55 PM.

My Cars
    E30 E38 E46 E85 F150 GTI
    Quote Originally Posted by Bell740il View Post
    Contact: https://zftranspart.pinnaclecart.com// they are great people and will help you with what you need and supply a factory rebuild transmission I believe for ~$4,000. This includes a rebuild valve body and a 1 or 2 year warranty, I can't remember which one. Lastly, in my opinion, $4k is a steal due to the solenoids for these transmissions being nearly ~$2,000 if you wanted to just replace them. The only downside is that you may have to ship them your transmission if they don't already have a core, but IIRC it only adds another ~$250 - $500 shipping and handling.
    You should probably read through the thread a bit...
    2000 740i Sport | 2004 330xi | 1988 325i Vert | 2003 Z4 2.5 | 1995 Ford F150 | 2018 GTI

My Cars
    96 740il, XJS & CBR1000F
    I know. I figured they would be meticulous about the rebuild and it would last another 200k. What I'm wondering is if it is something else. Like with the valve body, I wonder if they're going to swap the transmission and still have the same problem.
    Well, luckily you went with a company that stands behind its work. sorry to hear about your issues. When I put a 95 AS560Z in a 96 I swapped the modules but I don't think that is needed.
    The World is ruled by Kings and Queens that blind your eyes and steal your dreams.
    When answering my questions please use a qualifier if you are not sure.
    The more I work on this car the less I respect German engineering.
    When you speak in Absolutes you are always wrong!

Semper Fi

My Cars
    98 740il, 00 540i,04 ZHP
    It's just so weird to me that something like that could happen on a fresh build. I can't help but think there is something else to this that we/they are missing. Of course, I didn't drive the car, so I'm just guessing at this point. But I know the electrical with these transmissions can be very touchy, which makes me wonder if it is something with the connector under the car, adaptations, or something.

I asked if they cleared the adaptations when the clunking started. He said they read out the data and Eriksson said everything was normal. So I take that as a no. I would have cleared them anyway, but who knows. We will know soon enough.
    Last edited by racer2086; 04-19-2019 at 11:45 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast