Thread: Strange acceleration problem

My Cars
    94 xjs, 06 750li, 06 HD

Strange acceleration problem

It snowed here in Chicago land. Car was outside. When I started it, it rough idled, so I let it warm up for 20 minutes. I then pull out and start to drive. It never stops idling hard. I was going slow due to snow, this beast is not a snow machine, and when I got to my first stop light, from red to green, I pressed on gas and car barely moved. It took forever to get to sixty. I also noticed that after it shifted once it didn't shift again. So I cointinued to notice this at every stop light. I could slam the gas down, and the car would barely move. When stopped, the idling was extremely bad vibrations. Then at one light I was hitting the shift button as I thought maybe I put it in some arcane gear position. The car died, it could have been me, and when I started it up, all the problems went away.

As I am new to this beast and there seems to be buttons for everything, did I put this into a weird gear setting? Is tranny going? Am I crazy?

Thanks in advance.

My Cars
    BMW 730i
    Was it slippery? Do you have good winter tyres? Did the anti spin light flash in the dash when you tried to accelerate?

It does take forever to get up to speed with these cars if you are on bad tyres with ice on the road. But with the caf cutting off like that I'm not sure

Skickat från min SM-G955F via Tapatalk

My Cars
    94 xjs, 06 750li, 06 HD
    Yes Ice. But when car restarted when I slammed on the has the car spun out. I read that a faulty ivm or ism, which runs the electrical system can cause this. I have p1057&p1060 codes. Which can be by this ivm/ism.

My Cars
    94 xjs, 06 750li, 06 HD
    Quote Originally Posted by EricE6566 View Post
    Yes Ice. But when car restarted when I slammed on the has the car spun out. I read that a faulty ivm or ism, which runs the electrical system can cause this. I have p1057&p1060 codes. Which can be by this ivm/ism.
    Integrated supply/voltage monitor

Thoughts?

My Cars
    2000 BMW 540i Touring
    Quote Originally Posted by EricE6566 View Post
    I had similar problems with my 760. I repaired my ivm, now it runs great

My Cars
    94 xjs, 06 750li, 06 HD
    Quote Originally Posted by caliwator View Post
    I had similar problems with my 760. I repaired my ivm, now it runs great
    Thanks. I took it to BMW. They recommended an ivm and valvetronic replacement. 1700$. Do I need both. I asked if I could only do the ivm. He said if I only did one to tldo the valvetronic.

I bought both used and found a BMW service place with a good rep.

Do I need to replace both? Can I just replace ivm?

After this, oil leaks. Been doing research and my goodness the costs.i have seen for oil leaks is mind numbing. 4-10k.

What hell did I get myself into.

Haha.

My Cars
    94 xjs, 06 750li, 06 HD
    BMW of scherville quoted me 1700 for a new ivm and valvetronic to fix p1057 and p1060. Said it would fix my rough idle and strange acceleration problems. They said it wouldn't clear my check engine light because the engine had miss fire codes and may need some work.

So.

I bought an ivm, 104$, and valvetronic 90$, and had a local foreign car mechanic put it in. He put both in, and my new hood shocks. $200.

It cleared my codes, no check engine light, no miss fire codes.

He couldn't figure out how to put in the parking lamp.

Up next I have pdc malfunction, traction malfunction, parking light malfunction,,,, then the nasty oil leak.

Local homie said valvetronic may cause oil to leak. Let's hope.

I needed the check engine light to go away to finally register this monster.

It is driving so much better.

Stay tuned...