Thread: Cabin Ventilation

My Cars
    E30 318i

Cabin Ventilation

Hi guys,

I'm having a bit of problem with my E30 sedan cabin ventilation system. I dont think the flap is sealing properly since I can smell outside air coming into the cabin even when the recirculation button is on.

So, I'm thinking of blocking the ventilation hole completely from the ouside using some sort of sheet metal and sealant since I always dr8ve with recirculation button pressed. The reason why I consider this method is to avoid taking the dash out to fix the flap. Two questions I have in mind tho:

1. Where is the ventilation hole located on the outside of the car where the AC draws air into the cabin when the recirc button is off?
    2. Will blocking the hole have negative effects on the AC system?

I'm desperate to know because it is quite annoying driving around smelling exhaust fumes of other vehicles..

Thanks guys

My Cars
    2004 525i, 1985 325E
    If you remove the cowl vent covers you will be about to see the intake are on both sides. It's been awhile since I was in there but I guess you could fabricate something to block that off???????

Remove the console and see if the linkage to the flap has been removed or disconnected. Could be something simple.
    2004 525i Sport, Manual - 1985 325E Coupe Manual

My Cars
    E30 318i
    Quote Originally Posted by tomstin View Post
    If you remove the cowl vent covers you will be about to see the intake are on both sides. It's been awhile since I was in there but I guess you could fabricate something to block that off???????

Remove the console and see if the linkage to the flap has been removed or disconnected. Could be something simple.
    Well this might be worth a try.. Thanks mate for the advice

My Cars
    E30M3 X2 R100GS/PD R60/5
    Remove the vertical panel behind the engine on the bulkhead ,then you will see the flaps on each side if the hvac box above the blower fans. Covering will help ac as it will always be in recirc ,but it may fog windows in winter unless you run ac all the time as an air dryer

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Angus
    88 E30M3 X2 (1 summer/1 racetrack)
    89 325IX (winter)
    92 R100GS/PD

My Cars
    E30 318i
    Quote Originally Posted by spdracrm3 View Post
    Remove the vertical panel behind the engine on the bulkhead ,then you will see the flaps on each side if the hvac box above the blower fans. Covering will help ac as it will always be in recirc ,but it may fog windows in winter unless you run ac all the time as an air dryer

We dont have winter here in Indonesia. I always drive with recirc on

My Cars
    87 325is 96 GMC Suburban
    Fixing it the right way is always easier, at least when it’s all said and done

My Cars
    E30 318i
    Quote Originally Posted by msservices View Post
    Fixing it the right way is always easier, at least when it’s all said and done
    Yes, I'd like to.
    I guess I'm too scared to break the brittle plastics on the dash.
    Any suggestions on good links that I car refer to regarding this problem?

My Cars
    E30M3 X2 R100GS/PD R60/5
    Here are some pictures of an HVAC Box .you can see the flaps (open and closed)linkage (disconnected under flap) rods and recirc motors.

Angus
    88 E30M3 X2 (1 summer/1 racetrack)
    89 325IX (winter)
    92 R100GS/PD

My Cars
    1989 Bmw325IC
    I don't blame you either for not wanting to tear into the dash and the AC unit. Too many things can go wrong. I am good at taking this kind of stuff apart but getting it back together again not so good. If you can block the outside vents easily and you still get plenty of air circulating, then I think you are okay.

My Cars
    E30 318i
    Quote Originally Posted by spdracrm3 View Post
    Here are some pictures of an HVAC Box .you can see the flaps (open and closed)linkage (disconnected under flap) rods and recirc motors.

Looking at these pictures, I think it's kinda hard to seal the intake completely since there are no ledge of some sort to attach a custom block off plate. I might have to look around the engine bay later. TBH I am more comfortable to deal with it from the engine bay rather than from the dash where a million things can break

Thanks for the pics, mate

Quote Originally Posted by aaverhulst View Post
    I don't blame you either for not wanting to tear into the dash and the AC unit. Too many things can go wrong. I am good at taking this kind of stuff apart but getting it back together again not so good. If you can block the outside vents easily and you still get plenty of air circulating, then I think you are okay.
    Yes, exactly.. Same with me. The difference is usually I tend to break things during disassembly haha

My Cars
    No e30s, again :(
    if you aren't breaking it, you aren't upgrading it
    No e30s again.

My Cars
    E30 318i
    Quote Originally Posted by superj View Post
    if you aren't breaking it, you aren't upgrading it

hahaha this is true.
    I would give it a go, but the thing is, it is quite difficult to find good replacement parts for E30 here in Indonesia

My Cars
    No e30s, again :(
    I understand. I found ebay.de will normally ship outside of Europe for not to bad a price. I buy a lot of things from those dudes in Europe and just ask before I bid if they don't mind shipping to me. no one has ever said no. maybe they will ship to you if you ask
    No e30s again.

My Cars
    87 325is 96 GMC Suburban
    I would give it a go, but the thing is, it is quite difficult to find good replacement parts for E30 here in Indonesia[/QUOTE]
    If you cant buy parts for this car, what did you think you were going to do with it when you bought it?