Thread: Retrofitting insulated glazing (S352A)

My Cars
    BMW 735iA m62tu 2000

Retrofitting insulated glazing (S352A)

Hi Guys

I've been looking at a 728i facelift 1999-2000 with single pane windows.
    I would like to retrofit the insulated glazing if possible.
    Been searching the forums, found some threads explaining that it should be a direct swap, but with no exact realoem part numbers.

What exact parts would I need to accomplish this job on a facelift model, besides the 6 windows, part numbers would be appreciated?

Thanks

My Cars
    2001 525it
    Glass part numbers 51-32-8-218-365 front left , right front 366, 51-34-8-218-369 left rear, right rear door 370. Left rear fixed glass 51-34-8-168-125, right 126. Door glass guide seals are different because the glass is thicker. Seems awfully time consuming and exspensive.

My Cars
    1999 740iL
    I recently did this to my 740, but only because I already had a 750 parts car. Obviously you need the glass and the guide seals (rubber part that goes up both sides and across the top that the window sits in). Other than that, I think it is all the same. I changed out my rear interior panels as I was adding the window shades, but I think I reused everything else. All of the chrome trim pieces with rubber seals looked the same between cars, and I just used the one that was in better shape.

I don't know that I notice any difference in sound, though. I certainly wouldn't pay good money to make the change.

My Cars
    BMW 735iA m62tu 2000
    Quote Originally Posted by gusdog View Post
    I recently did this to my 740, but only because I already had a 750 parts car. Obviously you need the glass and the guide seals (rubber part that goes up both sides and across the top that the window sits in). Other than that, I think it is all the same. I changed out my rear interior panels as I was adding the window shades, but I think I reused everything else. All of the chrome trim pieces with rubber seals looked the same between cars, and I just used the one that was in better shape.

I don't know that I notice any difference in sound, though. I certainly wouldn't pay good money to make the change.
    Thanks a lot for your reply.
    Did you also reuse the electric window lifter?
    According to this diagram, the lifter is different for the dual glazing, part no 1:

http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/E3...ont/#8205633_1

Doesn't the car feel more quiet at higher speed, if not, I wonder if I actually want to do this job?
    I think I had an idea of a much more quiet cabin, why would BMW make these windows then?
    Last edited by mamij; 01-21-2019 at 04:00 PM.

My Cars
    2001 740i Sport
    It might make more of a difference at speed with other cars around. With the standard single pane windows, I find very little wind noise or anything comes through the glass at highway speed, but when I'm near another car at highway speed I do hear some tire noise, etc. from them coming through the glass.

My Cars
    1999 740iL
    I reused my window lifters. I didn't notice a difference, but my 740 is a '99 and the 750 was a '95. I don't know if that makes a difference.

In terms of noise, you might be able to tell a difference if you had a decibel meter - but it wasn't like the car was loud to begin with. Replacing all of the original door seals would likely have a bigger impact.

My Cars
    1995 730iL (M60B30)
    To my knowledge the glass and seals are all you need, they mount the same as the single pane glass. It's the protective double glazing that has a different mounting setup, due to the increased weight. Standard double glazing is a fairly straight forward plug and play upgrade. Good luck!

My Cars
    BMW 735iA m62tu 2000
    I reused my window lifters. I didn't notice a difference, but my 740 is a '99 and the 750 was a '95. I don't know if that makes a difference.

In terms of noise, you might be able to tell a difference if you had a decibel meter - but it wasn't like the car was loud to begin with. Replacing all of the original door seals would likely have a bigger impact.
    Great, did you replace the rear window as well, according to realoem this part also came in a dual glazed version, but must be a pain to replace?
    How hard are the small triangle windows at the rear to replace, can these easy be taken out after the big one?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sobek View Post
    To my knowledge the glass and seals are all you need, they mount the same as the single pane glass. It's the protective double glazing that has a different mounting setup, due to the increased weight. Standard double glazing is a fairly straight forward plug and play upgrade. Good luck!
    Alright I'll stick with the glass and seals then, I'm just curious about why realoem states, that the electric window lifter is different for the insulated glazing, hope the old ones can handle it

My Cars
    1999 740iL
    Yes, I replaced the small rear triangle piece of glass. In fact, I really couldn't get the main rear door glass out until the small triangle was out. I found a write-up on e38.org that showed what you had to do to get the small triangle out.

My Cars
    BMW 735iA m62tu 2000
    Yes, I replaced the small rear triangle piece of glass. In fact, I really couldn't get the main rear door glass out until the small triangle was out. I found a write-up on e38.org that showed what you had to do to get the small triangle out.
    Great, seems like a doable job.
    You didn't bother with the main rear window did you, not one I'm going to fight with though ?

My Cars
    1999 740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by mamij View Post
    Great, seems like a doable job.
    You didn't bother with the main rear window did you, not one I'm going to fight with though ?
    It's really not bad. I replaced the six side windows (1 for each front door and 2 for each rear door). I did not mess with the windshield or the back window.
    It started out as a project to get the side window shades that my car did not come with. Then I contracted an awful case of, "well, while I'm in there..."!

My Cars
    '98 E38 740IL, '01 740i
    It's really not bad. I replaced the six side windows (1 for each front door and 2 for each rear door). I did not mess with the windshield or the back window.
    It started out as a project to get the side window shades that my car did not come with. Then I contracted an awful case of, "well, while I'm in there..."!
    Same here I also swapped the 750 gloss black window trim.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    TRPCHGE - '01 740i Black/Black 230k'ish - Power folding mirrors, Mk.IV Nav, 16:9, M-pars, Sport seats, Sport wheel, Steptronic, Euro rear fog switch, 2.50" X-Pipe, Shadowline, E53 4.6is Cluster, Lacewood interior, Chromeline, 3.15, Bilstein B6+H&R Stage II's. - SOLD 06/21

BSKCASE - '98 740il Arctic Silver/Black 175k'ish - Face-lifted, 3" Projectors, Shadowline, 01 Tails, Hydro Trunk, Sunshades, 750il Full interior retrofit, Sport Seats, Steptronic, Face-lift Steering Column, X5 Steering wheel, E53 4.6is Cluster, Euro E66 Piano black/Chrome Grab-handles, Chromeline, Suede Pillars/Headliner, Auto wipers/Lights, Lighted Handles interior/Exterior, Dual battery retrofit.

WIP: Custom Style 42 18x9.5" ET12, 18x10.5" ET8, 3.15 LSD Rear diff.