Thread: what to do with dye result of power steering leak

My Cars
    328i

what to do with dye result of power steering leak

power steering is leaking and reservoir and tubes are covered with oil. I did below
    1. cleaned up the reservoir surface and connected tube connector with detergent
    2. replaced the seal in the reservoir
    3. add dye and drove for a week as I don't see much after driving for a day

Diagram is at https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=32_0727
    Here is the picture of result.
    dye2.jpg

It seems both connectors are leaking some. The intake tube leaks more as I see oil trail and oil drips at the end of that tube. Last time the mechanic has tightened both clamps.
    My questions are:
    1. do I need to replace the reservoir as there is no visible dye at the top of reservoir? Reservoir is $10.
    2. for intake hose, I can replace it as it's only $10. can I cut the Return pipe with cooling coil a bit and re-tighten the clamp? The return hose is expensive at $62.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    The reservoir is o.k., just replace the hoses, that are the usual leaking points when the hoses get old and hard. Feed as well as return line are both no high pressure hoses, so no need to buy expensive high pressure hoses. I replaced both hoses, here some pics from the return line on my M3 , cut the crimp sleeves and use good hose clamps http://e32b12.blogspot.com/search/label/M3
    On some E36 models - depending on built year- there is also a flow restrictor in the return line, check if your car has that, pics http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/1176344
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    328i
    Thanks a lot. I was afraid to cut the crimp sleeves. Not any more.
    In the return hose replacement, there is a clamp in the middle with something steel inside, I guess that's flow restrictor. I will check my car to see if it has it. Just curious, if I can leave without it?
    For the generic hose, the diameter is different between 2 hoses. I will bring replacements to NAPA/advanced auto to get the right size hose.

My Cars
    E36
    I replaced all the ps lines not too long ago. All the parts with necessary crush washers can be sourced from FCPEuro for super cheap.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Flow restrictor: apparently that depends on the built year, if one is installed or not. It will work without for sure. It was probably installed to avoid overflow of the reservoir in some extreme cases.
    But if you want, you can just drop the flow restrictior into the new hose and fix it with a hose clamp. I even did not use a hose clamp, just puhsed the flow restrictor into the hose and it stays there where installed since some years now, no problem at all.
    Hoses I used some from the local shops, they are suitable for gas, oil, diesel, bio-diesel, oil and designed for a pressure for up to 20 bar, so just normal fuel hoses.
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    328i
    thanks a lot. Just got some generic hose from autozone. Will flush ps and replace both hoses after bone-chilling period ends in a few days.

My Cars
    328i
    After replacing both hoses linked with reservoir, I still find some oil coming from pressure hose assembly (part # 32411093461). can I cut the steel sleeve and use generic hose instead of oem parts?
    Used hose is not good, right?
    Last edited by yxd0018; 02-02-2019 at 04:51 PM.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by yxd0018 View Post
    After replacing both hoses linked with reservoir, I still find some oil coming from pressure hose assembly (part # 32411093461). can I cut the steel sleeve and use generic hose instead of oem parts?
    Used hose is not good, right?
    The generic hose doesn't last. Your options are to either just order the factory hose for super cheap and easy from fcpeuro or to build a custom setup like some other users have done. You can find some examples if you search the forums here

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    328i
    Fcp new cost 65 while used one cost 25. Can I go with used one? The one I have lasted 20 years.

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by yxd0018 View Post
    Fcp new cost 65 while used one cost 25. Can I go with used one? The one I have lasted 20 years.
    And the used one would be 20 years old too.

If you would like to fix a problem permanently, especially an obscure problem that creates a mess if it fails, and is difficult to fix (not exactly plug and play), then just paying $40 more is golden.

Just looked at the part number you mentioned earlier (32411093461). That's the high pressure hose. $65 for a new high pressure power steering hose, is CHEAP. FCP euro is not ebay, you can order with confidence. Please proceed with that immediately. And you'll need new copper or aluminium (can't remember) washers for the connection to the pump.

My Cars
    328i
    got it. The reasoning is sound. Thanks a lot.
    I cleaned up the hose and wrap a cloth around it with duck tape outside to make sure it's actually leaking.
    Last edited by yxd0018; 02-04-2019 at 12:31 AM.