Thread: Vibrations after CSB and Guibo replacement

My Cars
    1990 E30 325is

Vibrations after CSB and Guibo replacement

Question... I just spent many hours doing a CSB and guibo replacement and now the car vibrates more than before.

I made sure to mark and perfectly re-align the two halfs of the driveshaft. I also made sure the driveshaft was rotated at the same angle so all of the bolts on the diff and transmission went back to where they were before. After I got it back on the road I noticed driveline vibrations above around 30mph where before it only vibrated on the highway slightly.

I may not have properly preloaded the CSB but I am pretty sure the new guibo went on in the same orientation the old one came off. How important in CSB preload and would it cause noticable vibrations? And if the guibo was facing the wrong way, would that be an issue?

My Cars
    2004 525i, 1985 325E
    From my limited experience, and fighting a similar vibration, make sure the Flex Disk (Gimbo) is oriented correctly and the bolts were tightened evenly. Then yes, preload the Center Support Bearing (CSB). How are your U-joints. How about motor and transmission mounts? Tighten the slip yoke properly?

I chased the vibration for awhile only to discover the drive line wasn't aligned. I ended up hanging fishing weights from the front of the crank shaft, tail shaft of the transmission, the drive shaft at the CSB and finally the U-joints. Drawing a string from the front to the U-joint and discovered the alignment was all over the place. Pushed and pulled the transmission mounts and CSB and finally got everything on the same plane.

Once you pull that driveshaft you end up disturbing a lot of old, settled in their position, stuff.
    2004 525i Sport, Manual - 1985 325E Coupe Manual

My Cars
    e30s
    Check and see if you lost a weight on the driveshaft. That can easily happen with these oldies. you may want to send it out for rebalancing if you don't rectify the issue. or..get another driveshaft.

My Cars
    2000 740iL & 1991 318iS
    I had the same issue.. all I did was replace the CSB & came to find it was flipped the wrong way.. installed the new one the Right way.. all been good since.

My Cars
    1990 E30 325is
    I appreciate the help! I will be pulling it apart again when I have a few hours and will check to make sure the flex disk it oriented properly.

Motor and trans mounts are OEM and brand new. I think the U-Joints are okay, but I don’t have too much experience with them.

I should definitely check for drivetrain alignment though. Good idea!

- - - Updated - - -

There’s a place near me that can rebalance and replace the staked in U-Joints if I need. May be worth the trip taking it down there.