Thread: Need to confirm OBD2 car and OBD1 vacuum lines

My Cars
    e30

Need to confirm OBD2 car and OBD1 vacuum lines

Need some help on vacuum routing on a OBD2 car with OBD1 M50 intake manifold swap that has a kessel kit. I saw a few links and diagrams and I still not sure how the vacuum runs. Here's one link that was helpful, but it's a different setup.

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...ntake-manifold

By the way my FPR is underneath the car, I didn't move it to the fuel rail after the intake swap.

FPR to intake manifold (small hose)
    From valve cover to CCV straight into intake manifold (large hose)
    ICV to intake manifold (large hose) and intake boot
    SAP to solenoid then to intake manifold (small hose)
    fuel breather valve up intake manifold (medium hose, with blue twisted hose, not sure to where?)
    From intake manifold to Charcoal canister? (small hose) not sure where vacuum goes
    From intake to Canister (side of motor) to Muffler (not needed)

Where do I use the T connectors?

There's also oil in the intake manifold, I think it's related to vacuum. Not sure. I changed the CCV, CCV hose to dipstick, and oil pan o-ring. All can't figure it out.
    Last edited by M III; 01-19-2019 at 11:48 PM.

My Cars
    e30
    Just checking to see if my vacuum system is right

My Cars
    1999 BMW 328is
    hey, i actually JUST DID the kassel m50 manifold swap as well! Now I'm not sure if I got mine entirely right, but I also did a SAP delete. I know exactly how all the vaccum goes so if you need help just let me know. It's kinda hard to put into words but I'll try my best. This is actually why I'm on the forum as well becasue I'm having an odd idle issue, where my cold starts hold 2000rpm and then dip to like 600, surge for a bit, and then smooth out.

-note the black and white vacuum line attached to the check valve for the SAP.
    -note the vacuum line from charcoal canister
    -note the vacuum line from fuel pressure regulator
    -note the vacuum line from breather valve (blue hardline mounted to shock tower to solenoid, and this piece has a rubber hose on it)
    -note how there is only 1 vacuum port on the m50 manifold, next to where the OBDI air temp sensor sits. it's a very small one, this is where the kit provides you vacuum line.

The instruction booklet from Kassel seemed to be overly complicated. In short, think of it this way:
    the m52 manifold had multiple vacuum ports, where each aforementioned vacuum line independently connected to it. the m50 manifold does not. So, all you have to do is tee off all the vacuum lines until every single one gets condensed into TWO vacuum ports. I'll explain.

You know that weird purge valve that mounts to the shock tower? take the thicker vacuum line from the bottom of that purge valve and connect it to the large circular connector that clips into the middle of the manifold. Be warned, though, as the fittings are different sizes. What I found out works well is to put a segment of small hose that the kit provided onto the nipple on that circular clip in connector, and then cut off the excess, so only the nipple is covered in the small hose. Then the larger one from the purge valve can attach to it without troubles, and it's a firm connection.

As for the SAP, FPR, and Charcoal Canister, just combine them into one of the small hoses. Don't worry about instructions. Just make it so those three get combined into ONE vacuum line. This one will then connect to the small nipple next to the OBDI air temp sensor, behind and below the brake booster vacuum line.

As for the ICV, it's easy money. With the kassel kit, one end of the ICV connects to the provided hose fittings, where this then connects to the large clip in connector in the middle of the manifold. The other end then connects to the throttle boot. That's it.

if you don't have this already, study the orientation of all the hoses and vacuum connectors VERY VERY carefully. If you don't, you could end up like me with an odd running engine. Also, I have some tips to make the install a bit easier, but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.
    instructions:

http://www.kasselperformance.com/?do...f8baa04c213740

feel free to ask questions, ask for clarification, etc.
    Last edited by mpost3r; 01-21-2019 at 11:27 PM.

My Cars
    e30
    I have two small connectors on the back of my intake manifold. One on the back middle section (circle clip), it also has a port for the CCV house. Another another small connector at the back corner of the manifold.

I plan of removing of manifold this weekend and route the three hoses into one, I'll take take pics of what I have. By the way, I still have SAP.

My problem was that I was using the back corner small hose connector for the FPR and not putting all three hoses on this connector. If I did that then I'll free up the circle clip small connector for the purge valve like you were saying. I'll have to get the step down hose piece one you were saying and plug the purge valve over it for a snug fit.

I think the kit instructions are written poorly, especially with the fuel rail modifications, but I've been reading online to get mines going...

For your weird idle, I would make sure you have the ICV air flow pointing to the manifold (there's an arrow on the ICV), clean the ICV, and double check connections. I wonder if stepping the purge connector hose down to a small hose intake manifold port will have an effect on your idle because the air flow is traveling into a smaller port on the intake...thoughts?

Last edited by M III; 01-23-2019 at 08:04 PM.

My Cars
    1999 BMW 328is
    ooh, that's a possibility, stepping down the purge valve never occured to me that it would. and yes, I saw an arrow, I just wasn't sure what direction it was going into. so the arrow follows the path of the intake boot, as in it goes intake boot-->ICV-->manifold

EDIT: I forgot that I already diagnosed this, I watched this from someone else's youtube video, and, sure enough, I checked my notes to see which way I oriented the ICV and it is, in fact, correct. That means I installed everything correctly, yet it's still idling quite high (granted this is temperature in the teens F) but then drops down to normal. I guess I'll look some more. Chances of a vacuum leak are already ruled out for me as well because when I take the oil cap off my engine almost dies, meaning taking the oil cap off is forcing a strong vacuum leak, and it wouldn't be that strong if I already had existing leaks.

hmmmmm.. but yeah, the kassel instructions seemed kind of poor. If I wasn't working in the dark (I'm in school and work as well so I don't have much time for working on my car) and was working in a space more than a rented apartment garage, I would definitely have written my own manual with a video series to accompany it to help other people make it. If you need any more help on the install, though, feel free to hit me up.

My Cars
    e30
    Hey bud, didn't get around to the intake this weekend, but lines are hooked up except the purge valve. I'm searching for a splitter for the brake boost line that goes into the intake and add the purge valve there. They look like the same size diameter.

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...-Gauge-connect
    Post#5

I'm not sure if this is common with the kessel tune, but shortly after my install, coolant temp sensor went out, it caused a rough idle, cam sensor went out, same thing, crank sensor, and finally the diff sensor...you get the picture. All led to a rough idle except diff sensor which

limited the revs...

oh no, did I say that...haha

What is your DME scan saying as far as codes?
    Last edited by M III; 01-28-2019 at 08:11 PM.

My Cars
    1999 BMW 328is
    my DME scan, through PAsoft, was scanning codes for mass airflow sensor and fuel trim, nothing that I can see relating to those sensors. I'll replace the coolant temp sensor because its rather cheap, but my car had a complete cooling system overhaul in 2015 with brand new everything... I'd figure that if those sensors were to go out, I would throw codes for it. However, my idle is not rough, just my cold start. I finally got around to taking a video of it last weekend:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4Mrvh49luM

My Cars
    1999 BMW 328is
    UPDATE #2: Just contacted the manager of Kasselperformance, and this is a direct quote from him:

The idle and cold start tables are based off of coolant temp sensor. It would be the temp sensor that feeds the ECU, the 4 pin obdii round style sensor."
    meaning, basically, that the tune makes a custom cold start idle value based off coolant temperature. In essence, this idle is fine. For further clarification and if you don't want it like this, he offered to contact him and have him dial the maps back a little bit. Regardless, it could still be worth replacing the sensor. Also, these cars would throw a CEL if the sensors were to be bad. I think we're in the clear.