Thread: HELP! Throttle getting stuck

My Cars
    1997 540i

HELP! Throttle getting stuck

Hey guys 1997 540i. My throttle seems to be getting stuck lately. I thought it was only doing it when it was cold outside but its gotten worse even though the weather is warmer . So its idling super high , around 1k rpm then when i put it in drive or reverse the idle will go down. THen sometimes only when put in park or neutral the rpms will climb super high and stay there , around 3-4k rpms. then i cant put it back into drive or reverse due to the high rpms. the car wont let me. I keep getting trouble code for IAC, but when i inspected the throttle body and spring it appears to not be returning back after the throttle is opened/pressed. Like the spring is getting stuck or stiff. Make sense? I have to forcibly push the throttle butterly back down so it starts idling normal. I attached a picture just for reference 0f the spring im talking about. So my question is: Do i need a whole new throttle body assembly? The car is fine in drive but once u put it in park the rpms climb like crazy and wont come back down until i get out , pop hood and push the throttle body spring back down by hand!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Electric Fan conversion, 840Ci thermostat, Dinan style CAI,de-screened MAF, Dinan transmission chip, 255lph LS1 fuel pump, drilled slotted rotors, 3.15 differential, Bel rx65 radar (hard-wired). Hemi Killer!

My Cars
    99 528i/5, 05 ZHP conv
    you may have a pblm with the throttle body. One thing you can do is view DME live data in PA Soft (BMW scanner) while driving/or running. It will tell you if the TB angle and pedal angle return to zero.

My Cars
    1997 540i
    yeah it not returing to 0 man, its not physically returning back down, its staying stuck as if the throttle was being help very slightly open. It sucks.
    Electric Fan conversion, 840Ci thermostat, Dinan style CAI,de-screened MAF, Dinan transmission chip, 255lph LS1 fuel pump, drilled slotted rotors, 3.15 differential, Bel rx65 radar (hard-wired). Hemi Killer!

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Quote Originally Posted by effduration View Post
    you may have a pblm with the throttle body. One thing you can do is view DME live data in PA Soft (BMW scanner) while driving/or running. It will tell you if the TB angle and pedal angle return to zero.
    Isn’t that only for E39’s with the fly by wire throttle pedals? 97’s is a.... errr ‘97. Weren’t those actual cables?
    Set the controls for the heart of the sun

My Cars
    1997 540i6, 2009 135i
    Had the same issue. Throttle cable broke away from the plastic sleeve. The Bowden cable pulls out on acceleration and will not go back in. Very hard to spot. Take the tension off the throttle cable and check if the cable is still in one piece or does it separate.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

o 1997 540i6 o Dinan supercharger system o Dinan stage 3 suspension system o Dinan wheels o UUC EVO3 SSK/DSSR o SS Headers o M-Tech illuminated shifter o M5 3.62 LSD o Cubic trim o Gauge rings o OEM In-dash CD o Ultimate pedals o Hella AE's o M-Sport Steering Wheel o 400 RWHP o A/W intercooler o Killer Chiller

My Cars
    99 528i/5, 05 ZHP conv
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmrMeUpSnotty View Post
    Isn’t that only for E39’s with the fly by wire throttle pedals? 97’s is a.... errr ‘97. Weren’t those actual cables?
    Yes you may be correct. I recently did this on my '03 530i...drive by wire

My Cars
    1997 540i
    Quote Originally Posted by 540-S3 View Post
    Had the same issue. Throttle cable broke away from the plastic sleeve. The Bowden cable pulls out on acceleration and will not go back in. Very hard to spot. Take the tension off the throttle cable and check if the cable is still in one piece or does it separate.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    mine is an actual cable and i removed cables to see, its not the cables its the arm and spring on the side of throttle body sticking. Monitored it with software and it doesnt go back to 0 on its own, its at 3% throttle when i let off the gas pedal and when i floor it goes to a max of 65%. i guess 65 is full throttle.

My Cars
    1997 540i
    So whats the deal? it the arm that goes into the throttle body which has the large springs on the outside of it and the throttle cables connect to that. Whats the deal with that arm? Does it need greased up somehow? or would it better to get a whole new TB unit??