Thread: Turbo oil drain to stock oil drain plug too small?

My Cars
    2002 E46 BMW 325i

Turbo oil drain to stock oil drain plug too small?

Hey guys I bought a M12x1.5 to -10AN adapter to use as the oil drain for my turbo to the stock drain plug location. When I took a look inside, I see that the inside diameter actually looks like quite a restriction as opposed to allowing proper oil flow. I messaged Treadstone about it since that's where I bought it from but I'm wondering if you guys have any tips on what I should do about it. I'm thinking I might be able to dremel the inside to get more room. Here are some pics: https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...sv?usp=sharing

My Cars
    97' m52 turbo
    I wouldn't even bother using that. It does look restrictive and AN fittings are nearly impossible to fit if bottom mount

Did you increase the diameter of the drain plug? Its recommended.

I drilled and threaded the drain plug to 1/2 NPT and the used used a 1/2 Barb Fitting (Hose Barb, 1/2 In Barb, 1/2 In MNPT):

https://www.zoro.com/zoro-select-hos...MaAlMgEALw_wcB

I've been running my drain setup for awhile now, no problems.

My Cars
    2002 E46 BMW 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by 328iFun View Post
    I wouldn't even bother using that. It does look restrictive and AN fittings are nearly impossible to fit if bottom mount

I drilled and threaded the drain plug to 1/2 NPT and the used used a 1/2 Barb Fitting (Hose Barb, 1/2 In Barb, 1/2 In MNPT):

I am indeed going with a bottom mount. I haven't touched anything yet as I'm gathering every part needed before actually starting my work. So I just use a 1/2" NPT drill bit then tap it?
    Last edited by armenh7; 01-21-2019 at 11:48 PM.

My Cars
    e36 328i turbo

But you are running an scavenge pump if i'm correct?

just went through your build thread to page 24, but couldn't find any pics of your oil return.
    Did you ever remove the pan before drilling the drain plug?

my oil return has a 12mm (.47") ID at its most narrow point. I can fit 16mm (hose on the fiitings And I am not sure this is enough.
    So either I will want to enlarge this, without removing the pan if possible.
    Or run a scavange pump with return to the pan, just above oil level.

you use something like this?:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Heavy-Duty-...CVHO:rk:1:pf:0
    Last edited by et89; 01-22-2019 at 03:35 PM.

My Cars
    97' m52 turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by armenh7 View Post
    I am indeed going with a bottom mount. I haven't touched anything yet as I'm gathering every part needed before actually starting my work. So I just use a 1/2" NPT drill bit then tap it?
    If you just did exactly what I did you would have zero problems, guaranteed, as I have had zero.

yes, you need a 1/2 NPT bit, and a 1/2 NPT (I forget the thread pitch, its on my build thread)

But I still have the bit and the tap if you are interested in them. Used once, PM if interested.

- - - Updated - - -

And I wouldn't run a scavenge pump, not necessary and another possible point of failure

My Cars
    e36 328i turbo
    @328ifun: jep, at around page 40 of your thread, your struggle and info is there

My Cars
    97' m52 turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by et89 View Post
    @328ifun: jep, at around page 40 of your thread, your struggle and info is there
    Haha

Yeah, no point in trying reinvent the wheel.

Learned that the hard way

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

My Cars
    99' 323is, 99' 328is
    If you just did exactly what I did you would have zero problems, guaranteed, as I have had zero.

yes, you need a 1/2 NPT bit, and a 1/2 NPT (I forget the thread pitch, its on my build thread)

But I still have the bit and the tap if you are interested in them. Used once, PM if interested.

- - - Updated - - -

And I wouldn't run a scavenge pump, not necessary and another possible point of failure
    Aren't you also running a vent hose in your oil drain setup?

She's built like a steakhouse but handles like a bistro

My Cars
    2002 E46 BMW 325i

- - - Updated - - -

Sounds like a plan
    JimsR brings up a good point though. Are you running a vent? I did read through your entire build thread but I don't remember
    By the way, did you drill with the pan on the car?
    Last edited by armenh7; 01-22-2019 at 09:25 PM.

My Cars
    97' m52 turbo
    Sounds like a plan
    JimsR brings up a good point though. Are you running a vent? I did read through your entire build thread but I don't remember
    Yes, I'm running a vent to a catch can. And I did drill the pan on the car

Depending on the Turbo may or may not need a vent

My Cars
    e36 328i turbo
    Sounds like a plan
    Yes, he does. read his thread from page 42 to around page 52, all about his oil drain+vent.
    Although butters mentioned that the precision turbos need this. the Garrets and BW's don't.

Curious about Holsets now, guess I'll find out.

Haha

Yeah, no point in trying reinvent the wheel.

Learned that the hard way

True, i have been trough your thread about 4 times now. whenever I encounter a problem I'm like:
    I have read that somewhere.. I should put notes what to find on what page of who's thread

that being said, It's great how you documented everything so clearly. thanks for that!

My Cars
    97' m52 turbo
    No problem! I enjoyed it, I read through it the other night. It's like I was reliving the agony all over again.

I've been using this site for years and its helped me tremendously, so I thought I'd give back!

My Cars
    2002 E46 BMW 325i
    Yes, I'm running a vent to a catch can. And I did drill the pan on the car

Depending on the Turbo may or may not need a vent

Ah okay. I'm guessing you just flushed the oil pan with used oil a few times?

- - - Updated - - -

Here's my plan: I've never turbo'd a car before so I want to learn on my current M54B25 before I move onto bigger and better stuff. I have a log style manifold, a .63 A/R 57 trim turbo, and ebay intercooler. I plan to buy a rallyroad turbo motor mount arm, vanos oil feed adapter, legit TiAL 38mm wastegate, either an AEM or Innovate wideband and boost gauge, do an ICV delete, and getting a tune package from Gelashvilli performance that includes injectors and a map sensor. After doing it with the "cheap" stuff and having gained experience, then I want to buy a M54B30 and rebuild it on the side for boost then use a SPA manifold with a legitimate branded turbo such as Garrett or Borg Warner.
    Last edited by armenh7; 01-23-2019 at 12:14 PM.

My Cars
    2002 E46 BMW 325i
    What do you think about this? https://www.ebay.com/itm/Straight-1-...S!-1:rk:8:pf:0
    also, 328ifun check your messages

My Cars
    BMW M3
    I removed the stock water to oil cooler and replaced it with a Mocal Sandwich Plate with built in thermostat. Why? Because I didnt want to take the time to dig into the belts to install a 7bolt OFH. I had to trim the center bolt for this to work. Oil filter is from FP and has the correct restrictor size. After the restrictor\filter I have my autometer gage. embarkdaily

Even with oil pressure in check and and huge drain, oil will still back up about and inch in the drain when the engine is idling less than 900 rpm. I guess due to low vaccuum and or excess oil in the pan. Soon as the rpms hit 1100 the oil level in the return line drops..embarkup

My Cars
    2002 E46 BMW 325i